On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:48:30AM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> I'm looking to backup my laptop either to a network drive or an external
> usb drive. Since it's a laptop, I don't always have the usb drive
> plugged in or the networked drive might not be on the LAN I'm on at the
> moment... so I'd either want something that I trigger manually, or
> something that can sense the presence of the target media and abort the
> automated backup if need be.

Look at dirvish.

> Support for incremental backups to existing sets would be nice, but only
> if the restore tool could look at the entire download set at once.

Dirvish uses rsync and it does incremental backups.

> What is everyone else using to backup their laptops?

I think you can imagine what my answer is :-)

> An unrelated question: When I was looking through aptitude for backup
> programs, I noticed that it now shows tags ("admin::backup",
> "interface::text-mode", etc.). It seems like a fantastic way to search
> for all of Debian's offerings for a certain task. However, I can't find
> any mention of how to get aptitude to filter based on these tags, and I

This kind of tag can be found with the ~G pattern: `aptitude search
~Ginterface::text-mode` would list all packets with this tag. There are
some more search patterns in aptitude. You can find them in the
html-manual in /usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en. Look for search
patterns.

Frank