Illogical Wireless Difficulty - Debian

This is a discussion on Illogical Wireless Difficulty - Debian ; Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why I'm unable to access a wireless network with Linux (Debian) and can on XP? I've had Debian up and running awhile now, but lately, on a certain network, it takes upwards of ...

  1. Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why I'm unable to access
    a wireless network with Linux (Debian) and can on XP? I've had Debian up
    and running awhile now, but lately, on a certain network, it takes upwards
    of ten minutes at times to get it connected. I usually must go into Desktop
    > Administration > Networking - turn off the "enable this connection," then

    immediately turn it on again - change from DHCP to Static, then back again -
    and, this usually works. However, when I'm focus on some production task,
    that's a real pain in the a**. So, now, I'm relying on XP to get the job
    done. I prefer Debian, but I can't afford it dropping the ball like this.
    The wireless signal is rather strong. I don't even think it is the signal.
    If it was, then I'd have trouble with XP as well. At work, there is no
    problem. Please offer your experienced opinion. No new packages have been
    added - but, there have been several updates to existing ones. I'm
    uncertain if any were network related.

    Sebastian

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  2. Re: [ltp] Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    On 2/12/07, Baz wrote:
    > Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why I'm unable to access
    > a wireless network with Linux (Debian) and can on XP? I've had Debian up
    > and running awhile now, but lately, on a certain network, it takes upwards
    > of ten minutes at times to get it connected. I usually must go into Desktop
    > > Administration > Networking - turn off the "enable this connection," then

    > immediately turn it on again - change from DHCP to Static, then back again -
    > and, this usually works. However, when I'm focus on some production task,
    > that's a real pain in the a**. So, now, I'm relying on XP to get the job
    > done. I prefer Debian, but I can't afford it dropping the ball like this.
    > The wireless signal is rather strong. I don't even think it is the signal.
    > If it was, then I'd have trouble with XP as well. At work, there is no
    > problem. Please offer your experienced opinion. No new packages have been
    > added - but, there have been several updates to existing ones. I'm
    > uncertain if any were network related.

    I've never been able to get wireless working satisfactorily on Linux
    using the GUI tools. works fine from the command line however (better
    than windows in most cases). try this (as root or with sudo, replace
    eth0 with your wifi Ethernet device):

    ifconfig eth0 up
    iwlist eth0 scan

    this should list the available wireless cells. You may need to run it
    several times. pick one you like and then set the interface to use it:

    iwconfig eth0 essid "Net Name" ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

    use the essid and ap MAC address from the cell you want from the iwlist scan.
    finally, if you want to use dhcp:

    dhclient eth0

    that should do it. I don't know why none of the GUIs don't just wrap that.

    Alex

    > Sebastian
    >
    > --
    > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    > - Joy Division

  3. Re: Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    Baz wrote:
    > Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding why I'm unable to
    > access a wireless network with Linux (Debian) and can on XP? I've had
    > Debian up and running awhile now, but lately, on a certain network, it
    > takes upwards of ten minutes at times to get it connected. I usually
    > must go into Desktop > Administration > Networking - turn off the
    > "enable this connection," then immediately turn it on again - change
    > from DHCP to Static, then back again - and, this usually works.
    > However, when I'm focus on some production task, that's a real pain in
    > the a**. So, now, I'm relying on XP to get the job done. I prefer
    > Debian, but I can't afford it dropping the ball like this. The wireless
    > signal is rather strong. I don't even think it is the signal. If it
    > was, then I'd have trouble with XP as well. At work, there is no
    > problem. Please offer your experienced opinion. No new packages have
    > been added - but, there have been several updates to existing ones. I'm
    > uncertain if any were network related.

    What's the wifi network card ? and what driver modules are you using in
    Debian for this card?

    --
    Random Quotes From Megas XLR
    Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break

  4. Re: Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    Baz wrote:

    > The card is Atheros - the module is Madwifi. This combo usually
    > outperforms XP.

    Give ndiswrapper a try. May give a stable connection.

    PS. send replies to the list.

    --
    Random Quotes From Megas XLR
    Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break
    stuff.
    Jamie: When in doubt, blow up a planet.
    Kiva: It's an 80 foot robot, if we can't see it, absolutely it's not here.
    Glorft Technician: Unnecessary use of force in capturing the Earthers
    has been approved.

  5. Re: [ltp] Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    On 2/12/07, Alex Deucher wrote:
    > I've never been able to get wireless working satisfactorily on Linux
    > using the GUI tools. works fine from the command line however (better
    > than windows in most cases). try this (as root or with sudo, replace
    > eth0 with your wifi Ethernet device):
    >
    > ifconfig eth0 up
    > iwlist eth0 scan
    >
    > this should list the available wireless cells. You may need to run it
    > several times. pick one you like and then set the interface to use it:
    >
    > iwconfig eth0 essid "Net Name" ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    >
    > use the essid and ap MAC address from the cell you want from the iwlist scan.
    > finally, if you want to use dhcp:
    >
    > dhclient eth0
    >
    > that should do it. I don't know why none of the GUIs don't just wrap that.
    >
    > Alex

    You're right, I tried almost every gui wifi tools but none of them
    works. I just followed what you said and it works. In fact before I
    also tried using commands instead of GUI, it turned out that my
    missing the option "ap" was crucial, although I don't understand why.

    Anyway, thanks a lot!

  6. Re: Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    No way !

    I use a IBM T42 whcih came with the AR5523 MPCI card and it is working
    fine for me for a long time !
    There must be something going wrong on the configuration. There is
    definetly no need to go to ndiswrapper for this. I see the most useful
    place where ndiswrapper can be used is where i do not get a driver for
    the card or if the card is an USB card.

    --
    Bhasker C V
    Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)

  7. Re: [ltp] Illogical Wireless Difficulty

    Manu Hack wrote:
    > On 2/12/07, Alex Deucher wrote:
    >> I've never been able to get wireless working satisfactorily on Linux
    >> using the GUI tools. works fine from the command line however (better
    >> than windows in most cases). try this (as root or with sudo, replace
    >> eth0 with your wifi Ethernet device):
    >> [...]
    >> that should do it. I don't know why none of the GUIs don't just wrap
    >> that.

    > You're right, I tried almost every gui wifi tools but none of them
    > works. I just followed what you said and it works. In fact before I
    > also tried using commands instead of GUI, it turned out that my
    > missing the option "ap" was crucial, although I don't understand why.

    I'm using Network-Manager from Debian unstable with my thinkpad t40p. It
    works great with my Intel wireless card. I was traveling this weekend
    and connecting to a new wireless ap was as easy as it could be.
    Network-Manager also works at home with my WPA secured network.

    My t40p originally has an atheros card, but I changed that with an Intel
    one (it was a little bit scary to take my thinkpad apart...). I newer
    got the atheros card/driver working reliable with Network-Manager, but
    when I changed to Intel it worked great.

    So the wireless card/driver support is very essential too.

    Anders