Thinkpad T60 - Debian

This is a discussion on Thinkpad T60 - Debian ; Hi, I'm thinking of buying myself a T60. Unfortunately I found a couple of posts on the net that this laptop is too loud. Fan is on all the time etc. The model I had in mind is 200763u(Core Duo, ...

  1. Thinkpad T60

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of buying myself a T60. Unfortunately I
    found a couple of posts on the net that this laptop is
    too loud. Fan is on all the time etc.
    The model I had in mind is 200763u(Core Duo, ATI
    X1400, 1GB RAM). Does anybody have some experience
    with this mashine?
    Thank you!

    Regards

    Kemal

  2. Re: Thinkpad T60

    I have a T60 (Core Duo, x1400, 2GB RAM), it is loud. But all you have to do is throttle the cpu
    down a bit and take the fan of auto, it works great and makes less
    noice. And when you need the power take it up and turn auto on. The only
    thing that really works for any laptop is good headphones.

    And i have to say that i am very pleased with the T60's over all preformace.

    //Gustaf

    K H wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying myself a T60. Unfortunately I
    > found a couple of posts on the net that this laptop is
    > too loud. Fan is on all the time etc.
    > The model I had in mind is 200763u(Core Duo, ATI
    > X1400, 1GB RAM). Does anybody have some experience
    > with this mashine?
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Kemal

  3. Re: Thinkpad T60

    Hi,

    so freq scaling is functional for Core Duo? I read
    that the min. freq / Core is 1GHz. That is what you
    are doing to get the noise down? How healthy is it, to
    turn of the fan?
    What is the root cause for this much noise? ATI GPU,
    is it better with IGP from Intel? I read something
    about it being a problem with BIOS fan control and
    that Lenovo is working to improving that...

    Cheers

    Kemal
    --- Gustaf schrieb:

    > I have a T60 (Core Duo, x1400, 2GB RAM), it is loud.
    > But all you have to do is throttle the cpu
    > down a bit and take the fan of auto, it works great
    > and makes less
    > noice. And when you need the power take it up and
    > turn auto on. The only
    > thing that really works for any laptop is good
    > headphones.
    >
    > And i have to say that i am very pleased with the
    > T60's over all preformace.
    >
    > //Gustaf
    >
    > K H wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of buying myself a T60. Unfortunately

    > > found a couple of posts on the net that this

    > laptop is
    > > too loud. Fan is on all the time etc.
    > > The model I had in mind is 200763u(Core Duo, ATI
    > > X1400, 1GB RAM). Does anybody have some experience
    > > with this mashine?
    > > Thank you!
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Kemal

    > --

  4. Re: Thinkpad T60

    Hi,

    take a look at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  5. Re: Thinkpad T60

    On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:47:19AM +0100, K H wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying myself a T60. Unfortunately I
    > found a couple of posts on the net that this laptop is
    > too loud. Fan is on all the time etc.
    > The model I had in mind is 200763u(Core Duo, ATI
    > X1400, 1GB RAM). Does anybody have some experience
    > with this mashine?
    > Thank you!

    I have my T60 (2GB RAM, ATI X1400, Core2Duo T5600, 2007FUG) for a week now, using it daily for my work.
    The onliest noise is a slow running fan for about 30% of the time,
    but the noise is not too loud and it doesn't wreck my nerves...

    The power of that maschine is perfect and the hardware is very
    useable in combination with Debian.

    --sj

    --
    In disk space nobody can hear your files scream.

  6. Re: Thinkpad T60

    Hi,

    thinkwiki has a lot info on this subject. Especially about the
    "always-on" problem. I have now a hp pavilion ze4417ea with the AMD
    Athlon XP-M, when I scale down to 530Mhz about 70% of the time the fan
    is on. This is a one of the reasons why I after 3,5Yrs. want to buy an
    Intel Laptop.
    Anybody knows is Lenovo going to change this in some of the BIOS updates?

    Cheers
    Kemal