xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver - Debian

This is a discussion on xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver - Debian ; Hi, I run Etch on my T42. I use gnome desktop. I installed xscreensaver. After this, I understood that xscreensaver daemon is a seperate daemon compared to gnome-screensaver which runs in gnome session. When i configure gnome's screensaver, I do ...

  1. xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

    Hi,

    I run Etch on my T42. I use gnome desktop. I installed xscreensaver.
    After this, I understood that xscreensaver daemon is a seperate daemon
    compared to gnome-screensaver which runs in gnome session. When i
    configure gnome's screensaver, I do not see the xscreensavers and when i
    run xscreensaver, I am not able to link it to the Ctrl+Alt+L key to lock
    the workstation. How do i import the xscreensaver savers into the
    gnome-screensaver ?
    --
    Bhasker C V
    Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)

  2. Re: xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

    Bhasker C V wrote:
    I run Etch on my T42. I use gnome desktop. I installed xscreensaver.
    > After this, I understood that xscreensaver daemon is a seperate daemon

    yep.

    > How do i import the xscreensaver savers into the
    > gnome-screensaver ?

    There's also a discussion on REPLACING gnome-screensaver with
    xscreensaver in the Ubuntu forums, if that's more to your liking.

    Personally, I prefer vlock, with a screensaver riding it.

    ciao,

    Dave

  3. Re: xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

  4. Re: xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

    Thanks for your replies
    I tried running the migrate-xscreensaver-config.sh
    but this is complaining that there is no XSLT file which
    is not really present when i searched using slocate database ( i have
    already built it).

    I read through the internet listings and could get convinced that it is
    better to use gnome-screensaver rather than xscreensaver. The only thing
    now i am wondering is how to import the xscreensaver screensaver .xml
    files into the gnome-screensaver .desktop files so that
    gnome-screensaver shows all the screensaver xscreensaver shows. Anybody
    had this kind of issue before ?

    On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 00:10 +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:

    --
    Bhasker C V
    Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)
    The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.

  5. Re: xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

    Hi

    i did this a little while ago. my readme, script and XSL is attached (i
    hope its ok to attach scripts etc to this list).

    i don't know much more beyond whats here, but it worked fine when i did
    it.

    Takis

    On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 08:27 +0530, Bhasker C V wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies
    > I tried running the migrate-xscreensaver-config.sh
    > but this is complaining that there is no XSLT file which
    > is not really present when i searched using slocate database ( i have
    > already built it).
    >
    > I read through the internet listings and could get convinced that it is
    > better to use gnome-screensaver rather than xscreensaver. The only thing
    > now i am wondering is how to import the xscreensaver screensaver .xml
    > files into the gnome-screensaver .desktop files so that
    > gnome-screensaver shows all the screensaver xscreensaver shows. Anybody
    > had this kind of issue before ?
    >
    > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 00:10 +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
    > >

    > --
    > Bhasker C V
    > Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)
    > The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.

  6. Re: xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver

    Takis,
    Thanks a lot ! I followed as per the readme.txt and it works fine !
    I can see now all the screensavers in the gnome-screensaver !
    thanks again...