loopback not up by default - Debian

This is a discussion on loopback not up by default - Debian ; I have a laptop with deban etch. When I boot up, the loopback device is not up and runnning, I need to manually run 'ifconfig lo up'. What could I possibly have wrong? When I installed, I could not do ...

  1. loopback not up by default

    I have a laptop with deban etch. When I boot up, the loopback device is not up and runnning,
    I need to manually run 'ifconfig lo up'. What could I possibly have wrong?

    When I installed, I could not do an ordinary install because I needed the madwifi wireless driver,
    which was not on the network install images. I had to download a couple of packages into
    the Windows partition, and hand install them in debian until I could compile the driver.
    This means I may have omitted some basic package, since I am also new to debian.

    Regards

  2. Re: loopback not up by default

    On Mit, 07 Feb 2007, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:

    > I have a laptop with deban etch. When I boot up, the loopback device is not up and runnning,
    > I need to manually run 'ifconfig lo up'. What could I possibly have wrong?

    in
    /etc/network/interfaces

    # We always want the loopback interface.
    #
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    the "auto lo" makes sure the interface is up
    the "iface" configures it correctly

    and in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples
    are more advanced examples for /etc/network/interfaces

    > When I installed, I could not do an ordinary install because I needed the madwifi wireless driver,
    > which was not on the network install images. I had to download a couple of packages into
    > the Windows partition, and hand install them in debian until I could compile the driver.
    > This means I may have omitted some basic package, since I am also new to debian.

    then welcome to debian :-)

    --
    Florian Reitmeir