[fwd] Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat) - Debian

This is a discussion on [fwd] Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat) - Debian ; ----- Forwarded message from Long Li (longlill at yahoo dot com) ----- > Subject: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat) > Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:07:52 -0800 (PST) > > > > I do not use Gnome, therefore I ...

  1. [fwd] Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    ----- Forwarded message from Long Li (longlill at yahoo dot com) -----

    > Subject: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)
    > Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:07:52 -0800 (PST)
    > >
    > > I do not use Gnome, therefore I don't know anything
    > > about gnome-specific
    > > problems. "speaker-test" is nice because it is
    > > independent of things
    > > that can go wrong with higher-level desktop
    > > functions. Maybe it is
    > > better to run "speaker-test -t sine" which should
    > > give you a long "beep"
    > > sound. If you do not hear anything then you have to
    > > try to unmute more
    > > channels. Also note that in some cases it is
    > > necessary to mute the
    > > headphones channel in order to get sound from the
    > > normal speaker output.
    > >

    > I tried many mute and unmute combinations, such as
    > only "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" unmuted,
    > "headphone" muted/unmuted, and so on. All of them
    > have no sound when I run the command "speaker-test -t
    > sine". Any other configuration files I need to check?

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    I am afraid that I am now at my wit's end. Judging from all the data
    that you posted earlier, it seems to me that your sound system is
    configured properly. If all the channels are unmuted and the volume is
    turned up fully for every one of them then I really do not know why it
    does not work.

    Maybe somebody else has a solution for this.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  2. Re: [fwd] Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    I didn't read the complete thread, please excuse
    if you already went through this steps.

    Long Li,

    I assume your sound card works under Win.
    and you already booted a recent Knoppix and
    it doesn't work either.
    Then, google the kernel lists for your sound chip.
    You probably need to know the exact revision
    number. Ensure this also by Win system tools,
    preferably provided by the laptop company, and
    BIOS (or even visually).

    Prepare to compile a custom test kernel with
    SND_VIA82XX, and PCI Bus Debugging
    and Sound Driver Debugging enabled, also
    SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS. (Try to google a
    proper config template for your machine).
    Configure PCI Bus and Device Drivers -> DMA
    Engine settings.
    You can probably enable PCI Express.

    Some VIA chips are known to be icky, but there
    are workarounds which can be enabled in the
    kernel config and via module-loading parameters.

    If Florian wasn't able to find a solution then
    it should be a real hard one and you probably
    would need help/docu from the driver developers.

    Two of the Guys familiar with your chip are Karsten
    Wiese, and Jaroslav Kysela, try googling them on
    kernel.org.