debian newbie questions - Debian

This is a discussion on debian newbie questions - Debian ; Hi List; I'm a debian newbie with a few questions. I'm going to try running debian on my IBM thinkpad laptop (Z60m). 1) It looks like debian sarge is running the 2.4 kernel, did I miss something? If this is ...

  1. debian newbie questions

    Hi List;

    I'm a debian newbie with a few questions. I'm going to try running debian on
    my IBM thinkpad laptop (Z60m).

    1) It looks like debian sarge is running the 2.4 kernel, did I miss something?
    If this is correct can I easily upgrade to a 2.6 kernel?

    2) can I also easily upgrade to the latest stable version of KDE?

    3) when running debian on a laptop, is the ipw2200 package/code for wireless
    devices available for debian as a package?

    4) whats the best way to keep my debian install up to date?

    5) how well does debian support ATI cards?

    6) how can I setup a dual head install?

    7) is anyone running transgaming cedega and/or vmware on a debian install?

    Thanks in advance...

  2. Re: debian newbie questions

    > Hi List;

    Hi!

    > 1) It looks like debian sarge is running the 2.4 kernel, did I miss something?
    > If this is correct can I easily upgrade to a 2.6 kernel?

    The installer install the 2.4 kernel by default, if you want to
    install the 2.6 kernel you have to pass the parameter "linux26" to the
    installer. I recomend install etch, its comes with 2.6 kernel by default

    > 2) can I also easily upgrade to the latest stable version of KDE?

    aptitude update
    aptitude dist-upgrade

    Whit that you upgrade all your system to the last packages on sarge!

    > 3) when running debian on a laptop, is the ipw2200 package/code for wireless
    > devices available for debian as a package?

    I'm not sure, but in Etch there are several packages for ipw2200
    (depends of the kernel you're running)

    > 4) whats the best way to keep my debian install up to date?

    aptitude update
    aptitude dist-upgrade

    [...]

    --
    Laudin Alessandro Molina T.
    GPG Key Fingerprint = DAE4 8A7F D5EE 48EE 60C7 F7BC 628F 18CA E307 2B89

  3. Re: debian newbie questions

    Kevin Kempter:

    > 1) It looks like debian sarge is running the 2.4 kernel, did I miss something?
    > If this is correct can I easily upgrade to a 2.6 kernel?

    2.4 is the default, but you can start the installation process with a
    special boot parameter with 2.6. But beware that the latest kernel in
    sarge is 2.6.8, so this might not be exactly what you want.

    Theoretically, you can still grab the latest-and-greatest linux kernel
    from kernel.org, compile it using the tools from the package
    'kernel-package' and run it without any problems. But with sarge there
    /are/ problems related to changes to udev (which detects hardware and
    creates device nodes and a lot more).

    > 2) can I also easily upgrade to the latest stable version of KDE?

    No, since a stable Debian release only contains package in their
    versions when it has become stable. You can only upgrade to newer KDE by
    upgrading to a new stable version (not ready yet) or if you upgrade to
    testing or unstable. That said, if your laptop is fairly new, you might
    be better off instaling testing ("etch") right away. It is not very far
    from stable anyway. But there's no rush. If you have sarge running, you
    can upgrade to etch at any time.

    > 3) when running debian on a laptop, is the ipw2200 package/code for wireless
    > devices available for debian as a package?

    I think so. The command you need to answer such questions is 'apt-cache
    search ipw2200'. I do not have stable in my /etc/apt/sources.list, so I
    do not get the results you need. Another option is to search on
    packages.debian.org, but I am too lazy for that.

    > 4) whats the best way to keep my debian install up to date?

    Use aptitude (nowadays preferred), apt-get or synaptic (GUI). I propose
    to use aptitude from day one, since using apt-get in the first place and
    then switching to aptitude takes some fiddling in most cases.

    > 5) how well does debian support ATI cards?

    As well as any other linux distribution: AFAIK (never used an ATI card)
    it is a pain in the *ss.

    > 6) how can I setup a dual head install?

    The keyword for web searches in "Xinerama", but apart from that I cannot
    help here.

    > 7) is anyone running transgaming cedega and/or vmware on a debian install?

    I know that Vmware should be no problem, but I have no first-hand
    experience with that.

    J.
    --
    We are lining up to see you fall flat on your face.
    [Agree] [Disagree]

  4. Re: debian newbie questions

    Jochen Schulz:
    > Kevin Kempter:
    >>
    >> 6) how can I setup a dual head install?

    > The keyword for web searches in "Xinerama", but apart from that I cannot
    > help here.

    Correction/addition: you do not here Xinerama, it is just one option.
    The wikipedia article sums it up quite nice (and, hopefully,
    accurately): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama

    J.
    --
    My clothes aren't just fashion. They're a lifestyle.
    [Agree] [Disagree]

  5. Re: debian newbie questions

    Kevin Kempter wrote:
    > Hi List;

    (CC-ing the user as he seems to be a newbie and might not know the
    etiquette, which is that CC-s are not used and replies are sent to list
    only)

    > I'm a debian newbie with a few questions. I'm going to try running debian on
    > my IBM thinkpad laptop (Z60m).
    >

    > 1) It looks like debian sarge is running the 2.4 kernel, did I miss something?
    > If this is correct can I easily upgrade to a 2.6 kernel?

    You can install 2.6 directly (as previously said) with the "linux26"
    boot parameter, but I recommend to install Etch instead if you didn't do
    the installation already. In that case I suggest you install the
    kernel-image-2.6.8-3-386 package (assuming you are using an x86
    architecture).

    > 2) can I also easily upgrade to the latest stable version of KDE?

    Not exactly, see reply from Jochen Schultz[1]

    > 3) when running debian on a laptop, is the ipw2200 package/code for wireless
    > devices available for debian as a package?

    ipw2200 modules are available:
    - - only starting from Etch (current testing) and are in the contrib
    section of the archive which means you have to have a line similar to
    this one in /etc/apt/sources.list

    deb http://www.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

    > 4) whats the best way to keep my debian install up to date?

    aptitude update && aptitude upgrade

    If you are running Sarge(stable) and you prefer graphical tools, you
    might want to install synaptic (note this is a gtk package,
    unfortunately there no qt/kde frontends for apt in sarge)

    aptitude update && aptitude install synaptic

    If you are running Etch (testing), I recommend installing update-manager.

    aptitude update && aptitude install update-manager

    > 5) how well does debian support ATI cards?

    Depends on the card, if you want the free drivers or the propritary ones
    and what you are running, Sarge or Etch.

    Usually 3D acceleration doesn't work.

    If you have an older card the free drivers usually work accelerated in
    2D. If you have a newer card there are more possibilities, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon and links there for information
    about support.

    > 6) how can I setup a dual head install?

    Not sure how you can do that with the free drivers.

    Follow other people's advices :-) .

    With proprietary drivers you can generate a configuration file with

    aticonfig --initial=dual-head

    See more information with aticonfig --help

    > 7) is anyone running transgaming cedega and/or vmware on a debian install?

    I use and recommend qemu instead of vmware. Is a free virtual machine
    emulator.

    I had cedega installed at some point in the past on another computer,
    but I don't know the current state.
    I know people using vmware on a daily basis with Debian, so it shouldn't
    be a problem.

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lapto.../msg00032.html
    - --
    Regards,
    EddyP

  6. Re: debian newbie questions

    Hi,
    > 3) when running debian on a laptop, is the ipw2200 package/code for wireless
    > devices available for debian as a package?

    you'll find ipw2200 in the latest kernels, but proably you'll need to
    manually insert firmware. You can find it at
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

    Byez, JoY.
    --
    GnuPG key on http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371 KeyID 0x399ED0F6