problem of screen or graphic card ? - Debian

This is a discussion on problem of screen or graphic card ? - Debian ; Hello, now all works fine on my laptop acer aspire wlmi 5102 (almost) but I still enconter a problem when I close the Xwindow session. Sometimes the screen is blurred and there is like waves ... cat /proc/acpi/termal_zone/THRM/temperature gives : ...

  1. problem of screen or graphic card ?

    Hello,
    now all works fine on my laptop acer aspire wlmi 5102 (almost)
    but I still enconter a problem when I close the Xwindow session.
    Sometimes the screen is blurred and there is like waves ...
    cat /proc/acpi/termal_zone/THRM/temperature
    gives : temperature 37 C
    Where does this problem come from ?
    Can my screen or my garphic card be damaged ?
    tia.
    --
    Gérard

  2. Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    Hello Gerard,

    Monday, February 5, 2007, 1:06:47 AM, you wrote:

    > Hello,
    > now all works fine on my laptop acer aspire wlmi 5102 (almost)
    > but I still enconter a problem when I close the Xwindow session.
    > Sometimes the screen is blurred and there is like waves ...
    > cat /proc/acpi/termal_zone/THRM/temperature
    > gives : temperature 37 C
    > Where does this problem come from ?
    > Can my screen or my garphic card be damaged ?
    > tia.

    Hi.
    I have the same laptop... It's work fine...
    Kernel 2.6.18
    Debian testing
    Mybe you need reinstall driver for videocard

    --
    Best regards,
    sysop mailto:sysop@mediat.com.ua

  3. Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:19:59PM +0200, sysop wrote:
    >From: sysop
    >To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    >Subject: Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    >Monday, February 5, 2007, 1:06:47 AM, you wrote:
    >> but I still enconter a problem when I close the Xwindow session.
    >> Sometimes the screen is blurred and there is like waves ...
    >> cat /proc/acpi/termal_zone/THRM/temperature
    >> gives : temperature 37 C
    >> Where does this problem come from ?
    >> Can my screen or my garphic card be damaged ?

    >I have the same laptop... It's work fine...
    >Kernel 2.6.18
    >Debian testing
    >Mybe you need reinstall driver for videocard

    Hello,
    I did what you advised me and now, when I close a xwindow session the
    screen is normal. (for the moment ...)
    Since we have the same laptop I would like to ask you a question about
    the partitions of the hard disk.
    At the origin the hard disk has:
    /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    I would like to do:
    /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 20 Gb
    /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 10 Gb
    the rest for linux (etch) but the support of acer (in France) told me
    "don't touch to the partitions sda1 and sda2, only resize sda3"
    and then I did:
    /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 10 Gb
    the rest for linux. However I don't use windows often and I have 40 Gb
    unused.
    How did you partition your hard disk ?

    Thanks.

    --
    Gérard

  4. Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    Hi, of course it is a riskful operation to partition a disk where
    there are already data, but I think that with partition magic and a
    GOOD backup you could give it a try ;-)
    Otherwise if you don't mind to loose all of your windows data, you can
    repart the hdd and then reinstall windows. Quite long however!
    Byez,
    JoY

    --
    GnuPG key on http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371 KeyID 0x399ED0F6

  5. Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    Hi.

    > Hello,
    > I did what you advised me and now, when I close a xwindow session the
    > screen is normal. (for the moment ...)
    > Since we have the same laptop I would like to ask you a question about
    > the partitions of the hard disk.
    > At the origin the hard disk has:
    > /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    > /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    > /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    > I would like to do:
    > /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    > /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 20 Gb
    > /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 10 Gb
    > the rest for linux (etch) but the support of acer (in France) told me
    > "don't touch to the partitions sda1 and sda2, only resize sda3"
    > and then I did:
    > /dev/sda1 fat32 ~ 5 Gb
    > /dev/sda2 fat32 ~ 53 Gb
    > /dev/sda3 fat32 ~ 10 Gb
    > the rest for linux. However I don't use windows often and I have 40 Gb
    > unused.
    > How did you partition your hard disk ?

    > Thanks.

    I use all speace of hdd for Debian =)

    --
    Best regards,
    sysop mailto:sysop@mediat.com.ua

  6. Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?

    On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:41:31PM +0100, JoY§TiCk ... wrote:
    >From: "JoY§TiCk ..."
    >To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    >Subject: Re: problem of screen or graphic card ?
    > SPF_PASS autolearn=ham version=3.1.4
    >
    >Hi, of course it is a riskful operation to partition a disk where
    >there are already data, but I think that with partition magic and a
    >GOOD backup you could give it a try ;-)
    >Otherwise if you don't mind to loose all of your windows data, you can
    >repart the hdd and then reinstall windows. Quite long however!

    Hi, I have resized sucessfully my partition three weeks ago.
    In a previous post some debian-laptop-users advised me to use gparted
    and some others told me that they did a bad experience wit gparted and
    the filesystem ntfs.(but the version of xp on my laptop use fat32)
    Finally I see on a forum that mandriva had a good tool to resize the
    partitions (ntfs too).
    I crossed fingers and I booted on mandriva, resize my partition and quited
    mandriva and ... windows .... booted like charme.
    After that I installed etch quietly and etch works fine too. (almost...).

    thanks.

    --
    Gérard

+ Reply to Thread