sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat) - Debian

This is a discussion on sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat) - Debian ; Hi, My sound card doesn't work. I read the article http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm . I guess it is because there is /proc/asound/sndstat file. However, I did find the file /dev/sndstat. So could you tell me how can I let the system generate ...

  1. sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    Hi,

    My sound card doesn't work. I read the article
    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm. I guess it is
    because there is /proc/asound/sndstat file. However,
    I did find the file /dev/sndstat. So could you tell
    me how can I let the system generate the file
    /proc/asound/sndstat? Or which configuration file I
    need modify?

    Here is the detail information of the sound card.

    $ lspci | grep audio
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
    Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)

    Here are all files in the /proc/asound directory:

    /proc/asound# ls -F
    V8233@ card0/ cards devices modules oss/ pcm
    seq/ timers version

    /proc/asound# cat version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version
    1.0.12rc1 (Thu Jun 22 13:55:50 2006 UTC).

    /proc/asound# cat cards
    0 [V8233 ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8233
    VIA 8233 with VIA1612A at
    0xdc00, irq 11

    /proc/asound# cat modules
    0 snd_via82xx

    /proc/asound# cat devices
    0: [ 0] : control
    1: : sequencer
    16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
    17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
    24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
    25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
    33: : timer

    Here is the content of the file /dev/sndstat:

    # cat /dev/sndstat
    Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.12rc1 emulation
    code)
    Kernel: Linux bchlin3076 2.6.18-3-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4
    16:41:14 UTC 2006 i686
    Config options: 0

    Installed drivers:
    Type 10: ALSA emulation

    Card config:
    VIA 8233 with VIA1612A at 0xdc00, irq 11

    Audio devices:
    0: VIA 8233 (DUPLEX)

    Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Timers:
    7: system timer

    Mixers:
    0: VIA Technologies VIA1612A

    Thanks.
    Long

  2. Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 20:49:28 -0800, Long Li wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My sound card doesn't work. I read the article
    > http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm. I guess it is
    > because there is /proc/asound/sndstat file. However,
    > I did find the file /dev/sndstat. So could you tell
    > me how can I let the system generate the file
    > /proc/asound/sndstat? Or which configuration file I
    > need modify?

    I don't think that you need to have /proc/asound/sndstat. I have a VIA
    VT82C686 AC97 audio controller (which uses the same driver module as
    your card) and it works without /proc/asound/sndstat existing.

    > Here is the detail information of the sound card.
    >
    > $ lspci | grep audio
    > 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
    > Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 30)

    [...]

    > # cat /dev/sndstat
    > Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.12rc1 emulation
    > code)
    > Kernel: Linux bchlin3076 2.6.18-3-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4
    > 16:41:14 UTC 2006 i686
    > Config options: 0
    >
    > Installed drivers:
    > Type 10: ALSA emulation
    >
    > Card config:
    > VIA 8233 with VIA1612A at 0xdc00, irq 11
    >
    > Audio devices:
    > 0: VIA 8233 (DUPLEX)
    >
    > Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    >
    > Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    >
    > Timers:
    > 7: system timer
    >
    > Mixers:
    > 0: VIA Technologies VIA1612A

    All the information that you posted suggests that your card is properly
    recognized and should work. How did you test the card? The easiest thing
    is to run "speaker-test" from the command line and watch for error
    messages.

    If you do not get any error messages but you still do not hear any
    sound, then you have to check the volume settings. Run "alsamixer" and
    make sure that the channels "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" are unmuted
    (no "MM" visible; you can toggle this with the "m" key). Try to turn up
    the volume with the cursor keys (left/right to select a channel and
    up/down to change its volume) and see if that helps. (Press ESC to exit
    alsamixer.)

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  3. sound problems (was: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat))

    [ Please send your messages to the list and not to me personally. If you
    are reading the list from the Debian archive then you can achieve this
    by clicking the "reply on-list" link. Also, please put your replies
    below the questions in the quoted message; this makes it easier for
    other people to participate and help you. ]

    ----- Forwarded message from "Safirst C. Ke" -----

    > From: "Safirst C. Ke"
    > Subject: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)
    > Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:34:21 +0800
    >
    > hi,when I exec the "speaker-test",it shows an error message:
    > "Playback open error:No Such Device"
    > What and Why is this?
    > How to deal with it ?

    [ snip: quoted old message ]

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    You seem to have a different problem than the originator of this thread.
    It looks like the drivers for your sound card have not been loaded. This
    can have a number of reasons. To help you further, we need to know which
    version of Debian you are using and the exact model of your sound card.

    Please post the output of the following two commands:

    cat /etc/issue
    lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  4. Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    > All the information that you posted suggests that
    > your card is properly
    > recognized and should work. How did you test the
    > card? The easiest thing
    > is to run "speaker-test" from the command line and
    > watch for error
    > messages.

    There is no error message. But the test did not stop
    by itself, so I have to use Ctrl-C to stop it. Here
    is the output.

    # speaker-test

    speaker-test 1.0.13

    Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 32 to 32768
    Period size range from 16 to 16384
    Using max buffer size 32768
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 8192
    was set buffer_size = 32768
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.235098
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.969371
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.866998
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.866945
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 3.071770
    0 - Front Left
    Time per period = 2.764601
    0 - Front Left

    > If you do not get any error messages but you still
    > do not hear any
    > sound, then you have to check the volume settings.
    > Run "alsamixer" and
    > make sure that the channels "Master", "Master M" and
    > "PCM" are unmuted
    > (no "MM" visible; you can toggle this with the "m"
    > key). Try to turn up
    > the volume with the cursor keys (left/right to
    > select a channel and
    > up/down to change its volume) and see if that helps.
    > (Press ESC to exit
    > alsamixer.)

    Yes, the "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" are unmuted.
    But when I use XMMS to play the music, or want to make
    Gnome play system sound, there is only elctrical noise
    Is this noise problem associate with Gnome? Is there
    some Gnome tools to configure sound card? I can find
    the network card configuration tools
    (Desktop->Administration->Networking), it is easy to
    use. Maybe there is similar tools for sound card. If
    yes, which package I should install?

    By the way, the sound card works well in Windows XP.

    Thanks,
    Long

  5. Re: sound problems (was: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat))

    > [ Please send your messages to the list and not to me personally. If you
    > are reading the list from the Debian archive then you can achieve this
    > by clicking the "reply on-list" link. Also, please put your replies
    > below the questions in the quoted message; this makes it easier for
    > other people to participate and help you. ]

    Thank you for telling me How to do.
    I hope I haven't make any trouble here,
    for this is the first time I use the mail list.

    > ----- Forwarded message from "Safirst C. Ke" -----
    >
    >> From: "Safirst C. Ke"
    >> Subject: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)
    >> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:34:21 +0800
    >>
    >> hi,when I exec the "speaker-test",it shows an error message:
    >> "Playback open error:No Such Device"
    >> What and Why is this?
    >> How to deal with it ?

    > [ snip: quoted old message ]
    >
    > ----- End forwarded message -----
    >
    > You seem to have a different problem than the originator of this thread.
    > It looks like the drivers for your sound card have not been loaded. This
    > can have a number of reasons. To help you further, we need to know which
    > version of Debian you are using and the exact model of your sound card.
    >
    > Please post the output of the following two commands:
    >
    > cat /etc/issue
    > lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'

    My system is Debian Sarge 3.1 r4 on the Samsung X11,
    and the command 'lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'
    didn't show any thing.
    My sound card is called High Definition Audio Codec AD1986A.
    It's like that I haven't install any sound driver,isn't ?
    but I see the Alsa package is installed in my system.

    --
    Regards,
    Safirst C. Ke

  6. Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat)

    On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 19:19:04 -0800, Long Li wrote:

    [...]

    > There is no error message. But the test did not stop
    > by itself, so I have to use Ctrl-C to stop it. Here
    > is the output.
    >
    > # speaker-test
    >
    > speaker-test 1.0.13
    >
    > Playback device is default
    > Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
    > Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    > Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    > Buffer size range from 32 to 32768
    > Period size range from 16 to 16384
    > Using max buffer size 32768
    > Periods = 4

    [ snip: rest of the output, which looked normal ]

    It is normal that speaker-test goes on for a while unless you terminate
    it with CTRL-C. Did you hear any sound while it was running? (It should
    be static or "white noise" - the same as what you hear if a radio is not
    tuned to any station - but you should hear something.)

    > > If you do not get any error messages but you still
    > > do not hear any
    > > sound, then you have to check the volume settings.
    > > Run "alsamixer" and
    > > make sure that the channels "Master", "Master M" and
    > > "PCM" are unmuted
    > > (no "MM" visible; you can toggle this with the "m"
    > > key). Try to turn up
    > > the volume with the cursor keys (left/right to
    > > select a channel and
    > > up/down to change its volume) and see if that helps.
    > > (Press ESC to exit
    > > alsamixer.)

    > Yes, the "Master", "Master M" and "PCM" are unmuted.
    > But when I use XMMS to play the music, or want to make
    > Gnome play system sound, there is only elctrical noise
    > Is this noise problem associate with Gnome? Is there
    > some Gnome tools to configure sound card? I can find
    > the network card configuration tools
    > (Desktop->Administration->Networking), it is easy to
    > use. Maybe there is similar tools for sound card. If
    > yes, which package I should install?
    >
    > By the way, the sound card works well in Windows XP.

    I do not use Gnome, therefore I don't know anything about gnome-specific
    problems. "speaker-test" is nice because it is independent of things
    that can go wrong with higher-level desktop functions. Maybe it is
    better to run "speaker-test -t sine" which should give you a long "beep"
    sound. If you do not hear anything then you have to try to unmute more
    channels. Also note that in some cases it is necessary to mute the
    headphones channel in order to get sound from the normal speaker output.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  7. Re: sound problems (was: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat))

    On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 15:52:13 +0800, Safirst C. Ke wrote:

    [ snip: brief explanation about replying to list and bottom-posting ]

    > Thank you for telling me How to do.
    > I hope I haven't make any trouble here,
    > for this is the first time I use the mail list.

    Don't worry, what you did is a very common mistake of people who are new
    to this list. Our posting guidelines are only there to make sure that
    this list can be useful for a large number of people. You are doing fine
    now.

    [...]

    > My system is Debian Sarge 3.1 r4 on the Samsung X11,
    > and the command 'lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'
    > didn't show any thing.
    > My sound card is called High Definition Audio Codec AD1986A.
    > It's like that I haven't install any sound driver,isn't ?
    > but I see the Alsa package is installed in my system.

    I am afraid that Sarge might be too old to support your card. However,
    to be sure we need the full output of "lspci" and of "uname -a". (The
    first command will list all your PCI hardware and the second one will
    tell us which kernel you are running.) Furthermore, which kind of laptop
    are you using? We need maker (Samsung?) and model.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian

  8. Re: sound problems (was: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat))

    Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:25:09 +0800Florian Kulzer
    д:

    >> My system is Debian Sarge 3.1 r4 on the Samsung X11,
    >> and the command 'lspci | egrep -i 'audio|multimedia'
    >> didn't show any thing.
    >> My sound card is called High Definition Audio Codec AD1986A.
    >> It's like that I haven't install any sound driver,isn't ?
    >> but I see the Alsa package is installed in my system.

    > I am afraid that Sarge might be too old to support your card. However,
    > to be sure we need the full output of "lspci" and of "uname -a". (The
    > first command will list all your PCI hardware and the second one will
    > tell us which kernel you are running.) Furthermore, which kind of laptop
    > are you using? We need maker (Samsung?) and model.

    lspci AND uname -a OUPUT:
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27a0 (rev 03)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27a1 (rev 03)
    0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27d8 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27d0 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27d2 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27d4 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27d6 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27c8 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27c9 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27ca (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27cb (rev 02)
    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27cc (rev 02)
    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27b9 (rev 02)
    0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27df (rev 02)
    0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27da (rev 02)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
    01d8 (rev a1)
    0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4222 (rev 02)
    0000:09:05.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0
    100Base-TX (rev 02)
    0000:09:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b4)
    0000:09:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394
    Controller (rev 09)
    0000:09:09.2 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0822 (rev 18)
    0000:09:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0843
    0000:09:09.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0592 (rev 09)
    0000:09:09.5 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd: Unknown device 0852 (rev 04)
    Linux X11 2.6.8-3-386 #1 Thu Sep 7 05:39:52 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

    It looks really not good.
    Actually,all of my USB devices don't work including USB mouse and
    Removable Disk.
    I am using Samsung X11(X11 is its model):
    Intel Centrino Duo T2050
    14.1" WXGA Glare
    NV 7400 128MB
    512MB DDR533

    Regards,
    Safirst C. Ke

  9. Re: sound problems (was: Re: sound card problem (no /proc/asound/sndstat))

    On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:27:50 +0800, Safirst C. Ke wrote:
    > ?? Mon, 05 Feb 2007 19:25:09 +0800??Florian Kulzer
    > ????:

    [...]

    > >I am afraid that Sarge might be too old to support your card. However,
    > >to be sure we need the full output of "lspci" and of "uname -a". (The
    > >first command will list all your PCI hardware and the second one will
    > >tell us which kernel you are running.) Furthermore, which kind of laptop
    > >are you using? We need maker (Samsung?) and model.
    > >

    > lspci AND uname -a OUPUT:
    > 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 27a0 (rev 03)

    [ snip: more lines with "unknown device" ]

    > Linux X11 2.6.8-3-386 #1 Thu Sep 7 05:39:52 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > It looks really not good.
    > Actually,all of my USB devices don't work including USB mouse and
    > Removable Disk.
    > I am using Samsung X11(X11 is its model):

    Ah, OK, you mentioned this before but I mistook "X11" for a reference to
    the X Window System...

    > Intel Centrino Duo T2050
    > 14.1" WXGA Glare
    > NV 7400 128MB
    > 512MB DDR533

    I agree with the posters in your "USB" thread that it is probably best
    for you to upgrade to Etch or to install it freshly with the current RC
    installer or the latest nightly build. Most of your problems will
    probably go away as soon as you use the newer kernel of Etch. (Etch will
    soon be released as the new "stable" version of Debian anyway, replacing
    Sarge.)

    Tuxmobil has two entries for Samsung X11 laptops; they are for Gentoo
    rather than Debian, but they might be helpful nonetheless:

    http://tuxmobil.org/samsung.html

    Another useful website is this one:

    http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

    You can copy/paste the output of "lspci -n" into the form and it will
    tell you which drivers you need. This will give you a good impression
    how well your hardware is supported in the newest kernel.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian