Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad - Debian

This is a discussion on Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad - Debian ; Hi, The command #echo -n eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay freezes my Etch Thinkpad T40 randomly, about half the time. I must then use Alt+Shift+SysRq to shut down. This is the eject function of the ibm_acpi kernel module, for Thinkpad Ultrabays. I ...

  1. Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad

    Hi,

    The command

    #echo -n eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay

    freezes my Etch Thinkpad T40 randomly, about half the time. I must then use
    Alt+Shift+SysRq to shut down.

    This is the eject function of the ibm_acpi kernel module, for Thinkpad
    Ultrabays.

    I want to add it to my suspend script as it saves a bit of battery
    life, when it works.

    The logs don't show anything obvious (to me); either I don't know what to look
    for, or it happens too suddenly to get logged

    Google shows a few references to this, but no conclusions.

    Could this be a kernel bug? Any ideas appreciated.

    Regards,

    John

  2. Re: Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad

    Hi,

    there is a project call tp_smapi which solvs this problem in a better more
    stable way.

    Your problem is, the IDE interface which isn't hotplug able be default.. so
    its like you cut the power of an harddisc which will also "crash" the kernel.

    and .. there is thinkwiki a nice site which has many additional information..
    and howtos.

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  3. Re: Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad

    On Saturday 03 February 2007 21:38, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
    > On Fre, 02 Feb 2007, John O'Hagan wrote:
    > > The command
    > >
    > > #echo -n eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay
    > >
    > > freezes my Etch Thinkpad T40 randomly, about half the time. I must then
    > > use Alt+Shift+SysRq to shut down.
    > > This is the eject function of the ibm_acpi kernel module, for Thinkpad
    > > Ultrabays.

    [...]
    > there is a project call tp_smapi which solvs this problem in a better more
    > stable way.
    >
    > Your problem is, the IDE interface which isn't hotplug able be default.. so
    > its like you cut the power of an harddisc which will also "crash" the
    > kernel.

    [...]

    Thanks for the info...tp_smapi isn't in testing yet; for such a small problem,
    I'll just wait.

    Just for heck of it, I tried using the hotswap package to issue this command:

    hotswap unregister-ide

    which is, not surprisingly, meant to unregister the IDE device (the DVD-ROM in
    my case) from the kernel. This makes /dev/hdc disappear, along with a bunch
    of other files in /proc and /sys with names including "hdc" and "ide1".

    I would have thought that doing this before powering off the device would have
    avoided the problem Florian describes above. However, the freezes still
    occur. Anyone know why?

    Regards,

    John

  4. Re: Ejecting Ultrabay DVD-CD drive freezes Thinkpad