Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325 - Debian

This is a discussion on Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325 - Debian ; I'm trying to get etch working on an HP Compaq nx6325. I used a netinstall CD, and a few things still aren't working. I've been using a guide for this particular model at http://www.puchalla-online.de/ nx6325.html. This is a somewhat older ...

  1. Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    I'm trying to get etch working on an HP Compaq nx6325. I used a
    netinstall CD, and a few things still aren't working. I've been using
    a guide for this particular model at http://www.puchalla-online.de/
    nx6325.html.

    This is a somewhat older guide because the wireless card (a Broadcom
    BCM4310) is supposedly supported natively by the kernel now through
    the bcm43xx module. So I'm not really looking to use ndiswrapper.

    I've been using Linux for a while now, I started with SuSE and Red
    Hat, and I've been administrating Debian-based servers at work for
    over a year now. When I got this new laptop, I figured it would be a
    good opportunity for me to learn more about Debian and the kernel in
    general. Until this point, I've not delved into the kernel and its
    internals.This is going to be very much a learning experience for me.

    I've loaded the bcm43xx module and added it to /etc/modules. I've also
    downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter from http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ to extract
    the firmware from my desired SYS file, and I've dropped the files
    into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I added an entry for wlan0 in /etc/
    network/interfaces, but whenever I try to configure the device with
    iwconfig, it says that no such device exists.

    The module is loaded, and I've installed the firmware files to the
    best of my knowledge; the guides on bcm43xx-fwcutter I've read just
    says to put the files in the firmware directory for hotplug. Am I
    missing anything? Do I need to put anything in /etc/modprobe.d/?

    Thanks in advance,

    SAJ

  2. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    SAJChurchey wrote:
    > I've loaded the bcm43xx module and added it to /etc/modules. I've also
    > downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter from http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ to extract
    > the firmware from my desired SYS file, and I've dropped the files
    > into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I added an entry for wlan0 in /etc/
    > network/interfaces, but whenever I try to configure the device with
    > iwconfig, it says that no such device exists.

    Which name does the device get? Look for it with the command
    ifconfig -a
    or even better just
    iwconfig
    which will tell you if the hardware is detected. If there is no device
    take a look in /var/log/dmesg or issue
    dmesg
    and watch out for relevant messages.
    --
    Regards,
    Jörg-Volker.

  3. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    ifconfig and iwconfig didn't reveal anything. They both only report
    eth0 sit0 and lo, none of which are wireless-capable. /var/log/dmesg
    does not appear to help much either. This is the only statement about
    the module, and i'm including other wireless related info:

    ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
    ieee80211:802.11 datamanagement/control stack, git-1.1.13
    ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation

    bcm43xx driver
    ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
    ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'

    So, I guess that one mention is where it loads the drivers, without
    much information, but it doesn't appear to be putting any errors . . .
    in dmesg at least.

    I'm going to try to poke around some more to see if I can't find
    anything else that might be helpful.

    SAJ

  4. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    SAJChurchey wrote:
    > I'm trying to get etch working on an HP Compaq nx6325. I used a
    > netinstall CD, and a few things still aren't working. I've been using
    > a guide for this particular model at http://www.puchalla-online.de/
    > nx6325.html.
    >
    > This is a somewhat older guide because the wireless card (a Broadcom
    > BCM4310) is supposedly supported natively by the kernel now through
    > the bcm43xx module. So I'm not really looking to use ndiswrapper.
    >
    > I've been using Linux for a while now, I started with SuSE and Red
    > Hat, and I've been administrating Debian-based servers at work for
    > over a year now. When I got this new laptop, I figured it would be a
    > good opportunity for me to learn more about Debian and the kernel in
    > general. Until this point, I've not delved into the kernel and its
    > internals.This is going to be very much a learning experience for me.
    >
    > I've loaded the bcm43xx module and added it to /etc/modules. I've also
    > downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter from http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ to extract
    > the firmware from my desired SYS file, and I've dropped the files
    > into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I added an entry for wlan0 in /etc/
    > network/interfaces, but whenever I try to configure the device with
    > iwconfig, it says that no such device exists.
    >
    > The module is loaded, and I've installed the firmware files to the
    > best of my knowledge; the guides on bcm43xx-fwcutter I've read just
    > says to put the files in the firmware directory for hotplug. Am I
    > missing anything? Do I need to put anything in /etc/modprobe.d/?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > SAJ

    I am using the Broadcom 4318 chip in a Pavilion. It works OK with
    ndiswrapper but I have never gotten it to work well with the bcm43xx
    kernel module. I once got it to work with an older kernel revision, but
    I couldn't get it to work with any type of connection other than a wide
    open one so I abandoned that.

    As to where you extract the firmware to, well, I install
    bcm43xx-fwcutter using the binary from the Debian repositories and it
    places the firmware in /usr/lib by default. Once I've extracted it
    using that default location I've never had a problem with the wireless
    card being recognized, either with the bcm43xx module or ndiswrapper.

    If you decide to abandon your attempt to the bcm43xx module you need to
    blacklist it in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist so it won't load.

    Actually ndiswrapper isn't all that difficult to use. Once you get it
    installed, and using m-a seems to be far the easiest way to do that,
    just enter a line in /etc/modules for ndiswrapper so it will be loaded
    at boot, blacklist bcm43xx as above, and then just use ndiswrapper to
    install the bcmwl5.inf file.

  5. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    Freddy Freeloader wrote:
    > SAJChurchey wrote:
    >> I'm trying to get etch working on an HP Compaq nx6325. I used a
    >> netinstall CD, and a few things still aren't working. I've been using
    >> a guide for this particular model at http://www.puchalla-online.de/
    >> nx6325.html.
    >>
    >> This is a somewhat older guide because the wireless card (a Broadcom
    >> BCM4310) is supposedly supported natively by the kernel now through
    >> the bcm43xx module. So I'm not really looking to use ndiswrapper.
    >>
    >> I've been using Linux for a while now, I started with SuSE and Red
    >> Hat, and I've been administrating Debian-based servers at work for
    >> over a year now. When I got this new laptop, I figured it would be a
    >> good opportunity for me to learn more about Debian and the kernel in
    >> general. Until this point, I've not delved into the kernel and its
    >> internals.This is going to be very much a learning experience for me.
    >>
    >> I've loaded the bcm43xx module and added it to /etc/modules. I've also
    >> downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter from http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ to extract
    >> the firmware from my desired SYS file, and I've dropped the files
    >> into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I added an entry for wlan0 in /etc/
    >> network/interfaces, but whenever I try to configure the device with
    >> iwconfig, it says that no such device exists.
    >>
    >> The module is loaded, and I've installed the firmware files to the
    >> best of my knowledge; the guides on bcm43xx-fwcutter I've read just
    >> says to put the files in the firmware directory for hotplug. Am I
    >> missing anything? Do I need to put anything in /etc/modprobe.d/?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> SAJ
    >>

    > I am using the Broadcom 4318 chip in a Pavilion. It works OK with
    > ndiswrapper but I have never gotten it to work well with the bcm43xx
    > kernel module. I once got it to work with an older kernel revision,
    > but I couldn't get it to work with any type of connection other than a
    > wide open one so I abandoned that.
    > As to where you extract the firmware to, well, I install
    > bcm43xx-fwcutter using the binary from the Debian repositories and it
    > places the firmware in /usr/lib by default. Once I've extracted it
    > using that default location I've never had a problem with the wireless
    > card being recognized, either with the bcm43xx module or ndiswrapper.
    > If you decide to abandon your attempt to the bcm43xx module you need
    > to blacklist it in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist so it won't load.
    > Actually ndiswrapper isn't all that difficult to use. Once you get it
    > installed, and using m-a seems to be far the easiest way to do that,
    > just enter a line in /etc/modules for ndiswrapper so it will be loaded
    > at boot, blacklist bcm43xx as above, and then just use ndiswrapper to
    > install the bcmwl5.inf file.

    Wow! I must have been having a real brain fart when I gave the path to
    where bcm43xx-fwcutter stores the firmware on my systems. It's in
    /lib/firmware.

    Sorry about the typo. I don't have a clue as to where that came
    from....

  6. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    I had the same problem and it is solved.

    Just install the fwcutter, do an apt-cache search bcm43xx and then
    apt-get install with the correct name. Didn't work fine if you install
    them through aptitude, I believe there is not really uncompressed in the
    right place.

    Then your card will detect correctly the firmware and will work fine if
    you select all the options related to wireless in the kernel and the
    bcm43xx as module.

    I am using the last stable kernel, 2.6.19.2

    Take care.

    SAJChurchey wrote:
    > I'm trying to get etch working on an HP Compaq nx6325. I used a
    > netinstall CD, and a few things still aren't working. I've been using
    > a guide for this particular model at http://www.puchalla-online.de/
    > nx6325.html.
    >
    > This is a somewhat older guide because the wireless card (a Broadcom
    > BCM4310) is supposedly supported natively by the kernel now through
    > the bcm43xx module. So I'm not really looking to use ndiswrapper.
    >
    > I've been using Linux for a while now, I started with SuSE and Red
    > Hat, and I've been administrating Debian-based servers at work for
    > over a year now. When I got this new laptop, I figured it would be a
    > good opportunity for me to learn more about Debian and the kernel in
    > general. Until this point, I've not delved into the kernel and its
    > internals.This is going to be very much a learning experience for me.
    >
    > I've loaded the bcm43xx module and added it to /etc/modules. I've also
    > downloaded bcm43xx-fwcutter from http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ to extract
    > the firmware from my desired SYS file, and I've dropped the files
    > into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I added an entry for wlan0 in /etc/
    > network/interfaces, but whenever I try to configure the device with
    > iwconfig, it says that no such device exists.
    >
    > The module is loaded, and I've installed the firmware files to the
    > best of my knowledge; the guides on bcm43xx-fwcutter I've read just
    > says to put the files in the firmware directory for hotplug. Am I
    > missing anything? Do I need to put anything in /etc/modprobe.d/?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > SAJ

  7. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    Hell,

    Thanks for the input. I currently have the firmware installed in two
    locations and have for some time now: /lib/firmware & /usr/lib/hotplug/
    firmware. /var/log/dmesg has not said anything about the firmware so
    I'm not sure if that is even the issue, but then again dmesg isn't
    telling me much of anything these days. By the way, what repo did you
    find bcm43xx-fwcutter in? I had to install it from source. I'd rather
    go through apt to manage these things if possible.

    I've tried ndiswrapper with some success, but the idea of having a
    native module instead of some sort of emulated layer was attractive to
    me. Although, I too will go with the ndiswrapper solution if I can't
    use encrypted networks.

    I'm using the 2.6.18-3-amd64 version of the Debian kernel if that
    helps with anything. Although I will try to upgrade to 2.6.19.x to see
    if that might clear up the problem. According to some who've replied
    to me, they've had problems with this module and different versions.

    Thanks for all of the ideas and input,

    SAJ

  8. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    SAJChurchey wrote:
    > Hell,
    >

    > Thanks for the input. I currently have the firmware installed in two
    > locations and have for some time now: /lib/firmware & /usr/lib/hotplug/
    > firmware. /var/log/dmesg has not said anything about the firmware so
    > I'm not sure if that is even the issue, but then again dmesg isn't
    > telling me much of anything these days. By the way, what repo did you
    > find bcm43xx-fwcutter in? I had to install it from source. I'd rather
    > go through apt to manage these things if possible.
    >
    > I've tried ndiswrapper with some success, but the idea of having a
    > native module instead of some sort of emulated layer was attractive to
    > me. Although, I too will go with the ndiswrapper solution if I can't
    > use encrypted networks.
    >
    > I'm using the 2.6.18-3-amd64 version of the Debian kernel if that
    > helps with anything. Although I will try to upgrade to 2.6.19.x to see
    > if that might clear up the problem. According to some who've replied
    > to me, they've had problems with this module and different versions.
    >
    > Thanks for all of the ideas and input,
    >
    > SAJ

    I like the idea of having the open source module better than ndiswrapper
    too. Unfortunately, I could just never make it work with my hardware.
    I imagine the developers will get it to the place that someday I can,
    but it just hasn't reached that point yet.

    bcm43xx-fwcutter should be in all repositories. Just add "contrib" to
    your /etc/apt/sources.list file as below, then run apt-get update and
    you're good to go.

    "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib"

  9. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices

    It doesn't appear that my chipset (Broadcom 4311) is currently
    supported by the module. So I guess that answers my question. I'll
    have to bite the bullet and use ndiswrapper for the time being until
    better support is available. Although I remember having a little
    trouble with that ndiswrapper as well. Thanks for all of your help.
    I'll try to get it working with ndiswrapper and post any other
    questions I might have here.

    Thanks to all that responded,

    SAJ

  10. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325

    http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices

    It doesn't appear that my chipset (Broadcom 4311) is currently
    supported by the module. So I guess that answers my question. I'll
    have to bite the bullet and use ndiswrapper for the time being until
    better support is available. Although I remember having a little
    trouble with that ndiswrapper as well. Thanks for all of your help.
    I'll try to get it working with ndiswrapper and post any other
    questions I might have here.

    Thanks to all that responded,

    SAJ

  11. Re: Broadcom Wireless & Etch on HP Compaq nx6325