Ethernet Network card RTL8101E does not work - Debian

This is a discussion on Ethernet Network card RTL8101E does not work - Debian ; Hi *, I have bought a Toshiba Satellite M115 Laptop, and I'm getting lots of problems with the Ethernet Network card [ RTL8101E (Fast Ethernet with PCI-Express interface)]. I have downloaded the driver from realtek.com.tw and I have followed the ...

  1. Ethernet Network card RTL8101E does not work

    Hi *,

    I have bought a Toshiba Satellite M115 Laptop, and I'm getting lots of
    problems with the Ethernet Network card [ RTL8101E (Fast Ethernet
    with PCI-Express interface)].

    I have downloaded the driver from realtek.com.tw and I have followed
    the steps which appear in README file:

    This is the Linux device driver released for RealTek Ethernet
    controllers, which are listed as following.
    1. RTL8169S/SB/SC (Gigabit Ethernet with PCI interface)
    2. RTL8168B (Gigabit Ethernet with PCI-Express interface)
    3. RTL8101E (Fast Ethernet with PCI-Express interface)

    - kernel source tree (supported versions 2.4.x or 2.6.x)
    - compiler/binutils for kernel compilation

    Unpack the tarball :
    tar vzxf r1000_vX.YZ.tgz

    Change to the directory:
    cd r1000_vX.YZ

    If you are running the target kernel, then you should be
    able to do :

    make clean modules (as root or with sudo)
    make install
    depmod -a

    1. Force the link status when insert the driver.
    If the user is in the path ~/r1000, the link status can be forced to
    one of the 5 modes as following command.

    #insmod ./src/r1000.ko speed=SPEED_MODE duplex=DUPLEX_MODE autoneg=NWAY_OPTION

    ,where
    SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps
    = 100 for 100Mbps
    = 10 for 10Mbps
    DUPLEX_MODE = 0 for half-duplex
    = 1 for full-duplex
    NWAY_OPTION = 0 for auto-negotiation off
    = 1 for auto-negotiation on
    For example:
    #insmod ./src/r1000.ko speed=100 duplex=0 autoneg=0
    will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Half-duplex.

    2. Force the link status by using ethtool.
    a. Insert the driver first.
    b. Make sure that ethtool exists in /sbin.
    c. Force the link status as the following command.

    #ethtool -s eth? speed SPEED_MODE duplex DUPLEX_MODE autoneg NWAY_OPTION

    ,where
    SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps
    = 100 for 100Mbps
    = 10 for 10Mbps
    DUPLEX_MODE = half for half-duplex
    = full for full-duplex
    NWAY_OPTION = off for auto-negotiation off
    = on for auto-negotiation on

    - Supports Jumbo Frame
    - Hardware Tx/Rx flow control

    The procedure that I show above was not successful. Then I tried with
    the steps from [1] which is almost the same, the only difference
    between both is that in this case I had to change some lines into
    src/r1000_n.c, then I compiled and it didn't work again :S

    Now, I'm compiling a new kernel version (2.6.19.1) because i read
    maybe the problem would be solved using this kernel.

    Have you had that problem? Can someone help me?

    Notes: I'm using Debian Testing (32 bits)

    Thanks for reading,

    [1] http://dvm.zapto.org:3334/~david/gui...php?number=118

    --
    Muammar El Khatib.
    Linux user: 403107.

  2. [Solved] Re: Ethernet Network card RTL8101E does not work

    Hi *,

    On 1/31/07, Muammar Wadih El Khatib Rodriguez wrote:
    > Hi *,
    >
    > I have bought a Toshiba Satellite M115 Laptop, and I'm getting lots of
    > problems with the Ethernet Network card [ RTL8101E (Fast Ethernet
    > with PCI-Express interface)].
    >
    > I have downloaded the driver from realtek.com.tw and I have followed
    > the steps which appear in README file:
    >

    > This is the Linux device driver released for RealTek Ethernet
    > controllers, which are listed as following.
    > 1. RTL8169S/SB/SC (Gigabit Ethernet with PCI interface)
    > 2. RTL8168B (Gigabit Ethernet with PCI-Express interface)
    > 3. RTL8101E (Fast Ethernet with PCI-Express interface)
    >

    > - kernel source tree (supported versions 2.4.x or 2.6.x)
    > - compiler/binutils for kernel compilation
    >

    > Unpack the tarball :
    > tar vzxf r1000_vX.YZ.tgz
    >
    > Change to the directory:
    > cd r1000_vX.YZ
    >
    > If you are running the target kernel, then you should be
    > able to do :
    >
    > make clean modules (as root or with sudo)
    > make install
    > depmod -a
    >

    > 1. Force the link status when insert the driver.
    > If the user is in the path ~/r1000, the link status can be forced to
    > one of the 5 modes as following command.
    >
    > #insmod ./src/r1000.ko speed=SPEED_MODE duplex=DUPLEX_MODE autoneg=NWAY_OPTION
    >
    > ,where
    > SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps
    > = 100 for 100Mbps
    > = 10 for 10Mbps
    > DUPLEX_MODE = 0 for half-duplex
    > = 1 for full-duplex
    > NWAY_OPTION = 0 for auto-negotiation off
    > = 1 for auto-negotiation on
    > For example:
    > #insmod ./src/r1000.ko speed=100 duplex=0 autoneg=0
    > will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Half-duplex.
    >
    > 2. Force the link status by using ethtool.
    > a. Insert the driver first.
    > b. Make sure that ethtool exists in /sbin.
    > c. Force the link status as the following command.
    >
    > #ethtool -s eth? speed SPEED_MODE duplex DUPLEX_MODE autoneg NWAY_OPTION
    >
    > ,where
    > SPEED_MODE = 1000 for 1000Mbps
    > = 100 for 100Mbps
    > = 10 for 10Mbps
    > DUPLEX_MODE = half for half-duplex
    > = full for full-duplex
    > NWAY_OPTION = off for auto-negotiation off
    > = on for auto-negotiation on
    >

    > - Supports Jumbo Frame
    > - Hardware Tx/Rx flow control
    >

    > The procedure that I show above was not successful. Then I tried with
    > the steps from [1] which is almost the same, the only difference
    > between both is that in this case I had to change some lines into
    > src/r1000_n.c, then I compiled and it didn't work again :S
    >
    > Now, I'm compiling a new kernel version (2.6.19.1) because i read
    > maybe the problem would be solved using this kernel.
    >

    > Have you had that problem? Can someone help me?
    >
    > Notes: I'm using Debian Testing (32 bits)
    >
    > Thanks for reading,
    >
    > [1] http://dvm.zapto.org:3334/~david/gui...php?number=118

    The problem is solved in Debian Kernel Version 2.6.18-4, I bought a
    very cheap ethernet card for my laptop, I upgraded to Debian Sid and
    with the new kernel It just works.