gparted and ntfs ? - Debian

This is a discussion on gparted and ntfs ? - Debian ; Hello, I have bought a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi_cx1012 and I plane to resize the partition windows with gparted (using a live-CD knoppix), but man gparted says : Parted can also detect and remove HFS (Mac OS), JFS, NTFS, ...

  1. gparted and ntfs ?

    Hello,
    I have bought a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi_cx1012 and I plane to
    resize the partition windows with gparted (using a live-CD knoppix),
    but man gparted says :

    Parted can also detect and remove HFS (Mac OS), JFS, NTFS,
    UFS (Sun and HP), XFS and ASFS/AFFS/APFS (Amiga) filesystems,
    but cannot create, resize or check these filesystems yet.
    ^^^^^^
    Can anyone tell me if there is a linux tool which can resize NTFS
    partition or otherwise does exist a tool free which can do that ?

    tia

    --
    Gérard

  2. Re: gparted and ntfs ?

    Gerard,
    I just finished using Gparted v.0.3.3 which I d/l Friday from
    Sourceforge.net. Yesterday I used it to resize the NTFS partition on a
    Sony VAIO VGN-FJ series laptop. It worked beautifully and I was able to
    shrink the WinXP partition and make myself a 50GiB partition on a 100GiB
    HD. Ubuntu Dapper will soon be installed there. After I finished up
    doing the re-size job, I held my breath and re-booted and WinXP Pro came
    up as usual. It did perform a Diskchk before reaching the login screen
    which showed no disk errors. I will now use this program on all future
    installs I do. Your mileage may vary.....

    Jim

    Gerard Robin wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have bought a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi_cx1012 and I plane to
    > resize the partition windows with gparted (using a live-CD knoppix), but
    > man gparted says :
    >
    > Parted can also detect and remove HFS (Mac OS), JFS, NTFS,
    > UFS (Sun and HP), XFS and ASFS/AFFS/APFS (Amiga) filesystems,
    > but cannot create, resize or check these filesystems yet.
    > ^^^^^^ Can anyone tell me if there is a linux tool
    > which can resize NTFS
    > partition or otherwise does exist a tool free which can do that ?
    >
    > tia

  3. Re: gparted and ntfs ?

    On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 04:09:38PM -0800, Jim Smith wrote:
    >From: Jim Smith
    >To: Gerard Robin
    >Cc: debian-laptop
    >Subject: Re: gparted and ntfs ?
    >
    >Gerard,
    > I just finished using Gparted v.0.3.3 which I d/l Friday from
    >Sourceforge.net. Yesterday I used it to resize the NTFS partition on a
    >Sony VAIO VGN-FJ series laptop. It worked beautifully ....

    I downloaded and burned gparted v.0.3.3, it's nice, when I received my
    laptop I vill use it.
    I am afraid to try the method of Jonas.

    Many thanks those who help me.

    --