PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash - Debian

This is a discussion on PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash - Debian ; Hi I have a Vaio PCG-U1 on which I recently installed Debian Etch with 2.6.18 kernel. I want to use the jogdial for scrolling, but it wont work when I have the PCMCIA wifi card in the slot. Its a ...

  1. PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash

    Hi

    I have a Vaio PCG-U1 on which I recently installed Debian Etch with 2.6.18 kernel. I want to use the jogdial for scrolling, but it wont work when I have the PCMCIA wifi card in the slot. Its a madwifi driven PCGA-C300s and its a 32 bit card. If I use a 16bit card, all is fine.

    THe symphtom is that when I have the card in the slot, sonypi will spill unknown events for everything I try, jogdial, special keys, etc. The events are always the same:

    sonypi: unknown event port1=0xff,port2=0xff

    The thing suspicious for me is that the resources get mixed up, or taken away. As I have a very limited Linux knowledge, I wouldnt trust myself, and specially dont know what to do now. What I see in the kernel log is this.

    sonypi: Sony Programmable I/O Controller Driver v1.26.
    sonypi: detected type2 model, verbose = 0, fnkeyinit = off, camera = off, compat = off, mask = 0xffffffff, use
    input = on, acpi = on
    sonypi: enabled at irq=11, port1=0x1080, port2=0x1084
    sonypi: device allocated minor is 63
    input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /class/input/input0
    input: Sony Vaio Keys as /class/input/input1

    and

    cs: IO port probe 0x100-0x3af: excluding 0x200-0x207 0x220-0x22f 0x330-0x337 0x388-0x38f
    cs: IO port probe 0x3e0-0x4ff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0x820-0x8ff: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0xc00-0xcf7: clean.
    cs: IO port probe 0xa00-0xaff: clean.

    It seems that sonypi's ports are not excluded, but again, this is just what I see, and I am not sure about its being right.

    If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

    Thanks

    Ben

  2. Re: PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:51:49 +0100
    Benedek Frank wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Vaio PCG-U1 on which I recently installed Debian Etch with 2.6.18 kernel. I want to use the jogdial for scrolling, but it wont work when I have the PCMCIA wifi card in the slot. Its a madwifi driven PCGA-C300s and its a 32 bit card. If I use a 16bit card, all is fine.
    >
    > THe symphtom is that when I have the card in the slot, sonypi will spill unknown events for everything I try, jogdial, special keys, etc. The events are always the same:
    >
    > sonypi: unknown event port1=0xff,port2=0xff
    >
    > The thing suspicious for me is that the resources get mixed up, or taken away. As I have a very limited Linux knowledge, I wouldnt trust myself, and specially dont know what to do now. What I see in the kernel log is this.
    >
    > sonypi: Sony Programmable I/O Controller Driver v1.26.
    > sonypi: detected type2 model, verbose = 0, fnkeyinit = off, camera = off, compat = off, mask = 0xffffffff, use
    > input = on, acpi = on
    > sonypi: enabled at irq=11, port1=0x1080, port2=0x1084
    > sonypi: device allocated minor is 63
    > input: Sony Vaio Jogdial as /class/input/input0
    > input: Sony Vaio Keys as /class/input/input1
    >
    > and
    >
    > cs: IO port probe 0x100-0x3af: excluding 0x200-0x207 0x220-0x22f 0x330-0x337 0x388-0x38f
    > cs: IO port probe 0x3e0-0x4ff: clean.
    > cs: IO port probe 0x820-0x8ff: clean.
    > cs: IO port probe 0xc00-0xcf7: clean.
    > cs: IO port probe 0xa00-0xaff: clean.
    >
    > It seems that sonypi's ports are not excluded, but again, this is just what I see, and I am not sure about its being right.

    Actually now I know exactly what the problem is. The problem only occures when I insert a 32 bit Cardbus card. With regular 16bit PCMCIA cards its fine. So, the above mentioned issue isnt an issue anymore, as 32bit cards are handled by hotplug.

    This is what I see in /proc/ioports (only the necessary parts)

    1000-10ff : PCI CardBus #01
    1080-109f : Sony Programable I/O Device

    This obviously shows that Sonypi is under the PCI CardBus's range, hence when I have a card inserted, sonypi is overruled. My WiFi card is a 32bit card, and I wouldnt like giving up on that.

    There was some discussion going about a similar (same??) problem, but for an earlier kernel. There was even a patch, but again, for an earlier kernel.

    If anyone has an idea, please share.

    Thanks

    Ben

  3. Re: PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash

    On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:35:32PM +0100, Benedek Frank wrote:
    [...]
    > This is what I see in /proc/ioports (only the necessary parts)
    >
    > 1000-10ff : PCI CardBus #01
    > 1080-109f : Sony Programable I/O Device
    >
    > This obviously shows that Sonypi is under the PCI CardBus's range,
    > hence when I have a card inserted, sonypi is overruled. My WiFi card
    > is a 32bit card, and I wouldnt like giving up on that.

    hmmm... just a quick question: did you try playing with
    /etc/pcmcia/config.opts exclude/include

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  4. Re: PCMCIA card 32bit and Sonypi module clash

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:51:17 +0100
    Mattia Dongili wrote:

    > On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 09:35:32PM +0100, Benedek Frank wrote:
    > [...]
    > > This is what I see in /proc/ioports (only the necessary parts)
    > >
    > > 1000-10ff : PCI CardBus #01
    > > 1080-109f : Sony Programable I/O Device
    > >
    > > This obviously shows that Sonypi is under the PCI CardBus's range,
    > > hence when I have a card inserted, sonypi is overruled. My WiFi card
    > > is a 32bit card, and I wouldnt like giving up on that.

    > hmmm... just a quick question: did you try playing with
    > /etc/pcmcia/config.opts exclude/include

    Hi

    Yes, I thought about that, however that is for the PCMCIA port assignment, which goes with the 16bit cards, but for the 32 bit CARDBUS cards, Hotplug is assigning the ioports, so changing the above mentioned file does nothing for us here.

    Meantime, I found the solution, I mean I was given the solution from Stelian, the developer of the sonypi code.

    Turns out the kernel is at fault, as it should not give out any port to Cardbus nor PCMCIA as a matter of fact for any PCI devices below 0x4000 however my Cardbus got the 0x1000 which caused the crazy confusion.

    A quick edit of

    include/asm-i386/pci.h

    file`s following section:

    extern unsigned long pci_mem_start;
    #define PCIBIOS_MIN_IO 0x1000
    #define PCIBIOS_MIN_MEM (pci_mem_start)
    #define PCIBIOS_MIN_CARDBUS_IO 0x4000

    You basically need to change PCIBIOS_MIN_IO from 0x1000 to 0x4000 and then compile the kernel.

    This fixed the issue, and now the ioport for sonypi is allocated right.

    I will file a bugfix for the kernel, as per Stelian`s suggestion.

    Thanks for all ideas,

    Ben