3d Acceleration, Resolution etc - Debian

This is a discussion on 3d Acceleration, Resolution etc - Debian ; Hi all, I hava a dell Inspiron 6000 and I installed Etch on it. I must say that the installation was quite painless and the new kernel detected almost everything without tweaking e.g. the ipw2200 wireless card, touchpad, graphics card, ...

  1. 3d Acceleration, Resolution etc

    Hi all,

    I hava a dell Inspiron 6000 and I installed Etch on it. I must say that
    the installation was quite painless and the new kernel detected almost
    everything without tweaking e.g. the ipw2200 wireless card, touchpad,
    graphics card, sound chip. On the first go, I had a nice workig system.

    Still I have following problems in my system.

    1.

    Interesting thing is, I also have out of the box 3d acceleration with
    ati driver (automatically loaded kernel module). I could confirm this
    by running glxinfo which says "direct rendering: yes". But I cannot
    check the fps rate. When I run glxgears, I see the gears rotating, but
    it doesnt print any fps rate. In my slackware system at work, the
    command prints the fps rate.

    Do I need to tweak the xorg.conf for that ? What should I add ?

    2. I still have a very low resolution, although the graphics card is
    detected propely. I can go upto 1680 x 1250 resolution, but I can only
    get 1024 x 768. I have
    ati mobility x300 graphic card with 128mb memory.

    Any suggestions ?

    regards,
    Hardik

  2. Re: 3d Acceleration, Resolution etc

    On 12 Jan 2007 06:15:25 -0800 rangalo wrote:

    > Interesting thing is, I also have out of the box 3d acceleration with
    > ati driver (automatically loaded kernel module). I could confirm this
    > by running glxinfo which says "direct rendering: yes". But I cannot
    > check the fps rate. When I run glxgears, I see the gears rotating, but
    > it doesnt print any fps rate. In my slackware system at work, the
    > command prints the fps rate.

    Run:
    $ glxgears -printfps
    and remember: glxgears is not a benchmark

    --
    ^^^ | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
    d(O_o)b | PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C
    >-|-< | WWW: http://www.die-welt.net ICQ: 54116744

    / \ | IRC: #sod @ irc.german-freakz.net

  3. Re: 3d Acceleration, Resolution etc

    On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 06:15:25AM -0800, rangalo wrote:
    > 2. I still have a very low resolution, although the graphics card is
    > detected propely. I can go upto 1680 x 1250 resolution, but I can
    > only get 1024 x 768. I have ati mobility x300 graphic card with
    > 128mb memory.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Try adding that resolution explicitly in your xorg.conf,
    something like:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen"
    Device "Video"
    Monitor "Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1680x1250"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    If the driver doesn't understand that resolution, you may also have to
    specify an explicit ModeLine for it (try Google). HTH.

    --
    Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  4. Re: 3d Acceleration, Resolution etc

    Eric Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 06:15:25AM -0800, rangalo wrote:
    > > 2. I still have a very low resolution, although the graphics card is
    > > detected propely. I can go upto 1680 x 1250 resolution, but I can
    > > only get 1024 x 768. I have ati mobility x300 graphic card with
    > > 128mb memory.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions ?

    > Try adding that resolution explicitly in your xorg.conf,
    > something like:
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen"
    > Device "Video"
    > Monitor "Monitor"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1680x1250"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > If the driver doesn't understand that resolution, you may also have to
    > specify an explicit ModeLine for it (try Google). HTH.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u
    >

    > --

    Thanks guys, the issue is fixed. I have native resolution working on my
    lappy.

    regards,
    Hardik