Xwindows doesn't start on new install - Debian

This is a discussion on Xwindows doesn't start on new install - Debian ; typo, sorry, x IS NOW running jdaues wrote: > Peter, > > Thanks for you comments. Based on them, Xis not running. I have not > installed nvidia drivers yet, so I am not taking full advantage of the > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: probably a general problem concerning latest X-Version

    typo, sorry, x IS NOW running

    jdaues wrote:
    > Peter,
    >
    > Thanks for you comments. Based on them, Xis not running. I have not
    > installed nvidia drivers yet, so I am not taking full advantage of the
    > hw, but at least its up. I am hoping there is a way to install the
    > nividia driver without recompiing linux source.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Peter Mattern wrote:
    >> Within the last months I could install several different etch-Versions
    >> (beta, RC1) on both a desktop system based on Gigabyte's
    >> GA-M55plus-S3G (grapics: nvidia GeForce 6100) and an Fujitsu-Siemens
    >> Amilo Pro 2055 (graphics VIA UniChrome) without any problems
    >> concerning X. This means, the installer chose, lacking a special
    >> driver for the graphics, the vesa driver, enabling me to install the
    >> proprietary nvidia driver and the one from openchrome.org in a second
    >> step - all without any problems.
    >>
    >> Since a couple of days I also get the message about the missing kbd
    >> and mouse modules - on both machines, and using exactly the same old
    >> RC1 installation media. Furthermore, the debian installer installs
    >> only the fglrx (!) driver. The problem also appears the same way using
    >> weekly snapshot and daily build of 2007/01/06.
    >>
    >> Solution:
    >> Manually install xserver-xorg-input-kbd/mouse, xserver-xorg-video-vesa
    >> (the lack of this module after the normal installation is the reason
    >> why just entering the module within xorg.conf doesn't work).
    >> Run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, chose the manual recognition of the
    >> graphics card and thus urge X to use the vesa driver.
    >> Then, in a second step the appropriate driver can be installed.
    >>
    >> at jdaues: on the Gigabyte system, everything worked fine using the
    >> proprietary driver from nvidia.com. I first had to install
    >> linux-source-2.6.x (there's only one package fiting this scheme
    >> available), linux-headers-, pkg-config, x-dev.
    >> The installation had to be done from a text-console with no X running
    >> (which can be achieved easily using kdm, not using gdm, as far as I
    >> know).
    >>
    >> at sdpatt: I actually think that this is a bug that ought to be
    >> reported, isn't it? I'm just not sure about how because it's not
    >> obvious to me which packet(s) are concerned ...

  2. Re: probably a general problem concerning latest X-Version

    Peter Mattern wrote:
    > Within the last months I could install several different etch-Versions
    > (beta, RC1) on both a desktop system based on Gigabyte's GA-M55plus-S3G
    > (grapics: nvidia GeForce 6100) and an Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro 2055
    > (graphics VIA UniChrome) without any problems concerning X. This means,
    > the installer chose, lacking a special driver for the graphics, the vesa
    > driver, enabling me to install the proprietary nvidia driver and the one
    > from openchrome.org in a second step - all without any problems.
    >
    > Since a couple of days I also get the message about the missing kbd and
    > mouse modules - on both machines, and using exactly the same old RC1
    > installation media. Furthermore, the debian installer installs only the
    > fglrx (!) driver. The problem also appears the same way using weekly
    > snapshot and daily build of 2007/01/06.
    >
    > Solution:
    > Manually install xserver-xorg-input-kbd/mouse, xserver-xorg-video-vesa
    > (the lack of this module after the normal installation is the reason why
    > just entering the module within xorg.conf doesn't work).
    > Run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, chose the manual recognition of the
    > graphics card and thus urge X to use the vesa driver.
    > Then, in a second step the appropriate driver can be installed.
    >
    > at jdaues: on the Gigabyte system, everything worked fine using the
    > proprietary driver from nvidia.com. I first had to install
    > linux-source-2.6.x (there's only one package fiting this scheme
    > available), linux-headers-, pkg-config, x-dev. The
    > installation had to be done from a text-console with no X running (which
    > can be achieved easily using kdm, not using gdm, as far as I know).
    >
    > at sdpatt: I actually think that this is a bug that ought to be
    > reported, isn't it? I'm just not sure about how because it's not obvious
    > to me which packet(s) are concerned ...

  3. Re: probably a general problem concerning latest X-Version

    On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 21:44:13 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
    > On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 01:37:01PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
    > > On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 12:09:00 +0100, Peter Mattern wrote:
    > > > Within the last months I could install several different etch-Versions
    > > > (beta, RC1) on both a desktop system based on Gigabyte's GA-M55plus-S3G
    > > > (grapics: nvidia GeForce 6100) and an Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro 2055
    > > > (graphics VIA UniChrome) without any problems concerning X. This means,
    > > > the installer chose, lacking a special driver for the graphics, the vesa
    > > > driver, enabling me to install the proprietary nvidia driver and the one
    > > > from openchrome.org in a second step - all without any problems.
    > > >
    > > > Since a couple of days I also get the message about the missing kbd and
    > > > mouse modules - on both machines, and using exactly the same old RC1
    > > > installation media. Furthermore, the debian installer installs only the
    > > > fglrx (!) driver. The problem also appears the same way using weekly
    > > > snapshot and daily build of 2007/01/06.

    > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00697.html

    > Same thing here - and I did see that original response.
    >
    > I must say the original post in this thread was much more useful.
    > After all, it seemed a bit obvious that to say that it 'was broken
    > and *should* be fixed soon'.

    I referred specifically to that post because Joey Hess is one of the
    "debian-installer gurus". I meant to assure the OP (and everybody else)
    that the bug is known to the right people and will be fixed soon. Of
    course, I realize now that I should have provided this information
    together with the link.

    --
    Regards,
    Florian