Dear all,

I run Debian GNU/linux unstable on a Dell Inspiron 1100 (Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM).
I could not get Japanese input to work in Openoffice, although I can use it in
all other GNOME applications, including an installed version of Sun StarOffice.

I also had the same problem on an AMD64 dual Opteron desktop running Ubuntu 6.06
and on my home machine (P3 800MHz) running GNU/linux Debian unstable.

It has been months since I posted a question about this on d-l. I received
at the time helpful advice similar to that found on the net, but unfortunately
none of the suggestions succeeded in enabling Japanese input in Openoffice.

In the meanwhile I installed GNU/linux Etch i386 on a PIII 550MHz desktop at
work, and lo and behold, after installing UIM/Anthy, adjusting language settings
in OpenOffice, Japanese input worked! So I thought to myself \"damn!\" and went
back to looking at my installations. The first thing I did was try the language
setting changes on my home machine and the Ubuntu - they worked! why had I not
done this before???

So I tried the same on my laptop. No change, nothing. But I noticed the fonts were
different on my laptop installation, not at all like the GTK ones I expected. I had
put it down to, er, OpenOffice defaults (sorry, guys!). But now I did an
\"aptitude search\" and noticed that the critical packages{gnome,gtk,gtk-gnome} were *not* installed!

I immediately installed them, and lo and behold, Openoffice fonts and appearance
took on the usual GTK look, *and* Japanese input worked.

I do not know why the GTK packages were not installed with the usual updates
or when I first installed Openoffice under GNOME a year or so back, but I hope
this is of help to others in such a muddled situation (of not knowing where to
look for the problem).

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug

Gernot Hassenpflug
Find out how something works, to know its functionality and limits

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to