Unable to Unmount Flash Drive - Debian

This is a discussion on Unable to Unmount Flash Drive - Debian ; Hello - I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to unmount my USB flash drive. Error Cannot unmount volume The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line. Details Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab ...

  1. Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    Hello -

    I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to unmount my
    USB flash drive.

    Error

    Cannot unmount volume

    The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line.

    Details

    Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL

    Contrary to the message, I didn't mount it manually on the command line.
    It's been occurring now about a week. Previously, there was no problem. I
    guess it's not a big issue just pulling it out, but I'd rather do it the
    proper way. Since it began, I've been going to Administration > Disk and
    simply disabling it.

    Sebastian

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  2. Re: Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    Baz wrote:
    > I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to
    > unmount my USB flash drive.

    Are you using fam?
    Can you stop fam, umount successfully and then start fam?

    --
    ''`. If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
    : :' : -- Emma Goldman

  3. Re: [Thinkpad] Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 04:06:20AM -0800, Baz wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to unmount my
    > USB flash drive.
    >
    > Error
    >
    > Cannot unmount volume
    >
    > The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line.
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL
    >
    > Contrary to the message, I didn't mount it manually on the command line.
    > It's been occurring now about a week. Previously, there was no problem. I
    > guess it's not a big issue just pulling it out, but I'd rather do it the
    > proper way. Since it began, I've been going to Administration > Disk and
    > simply disabling it.
    >
    > Sebastian

    Some process has its current working directory on the flash drive or
    some application has a file on the flash drive open.

    the process needs to change its current working directory off the drive
    or the application needs to close the file.

    --
    The QWERTY keyboard layout was designed to slow typing.
    John P. Serafin | Operating a bicycle is more like driving than riding.

  4. Re: Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    This will show all programs that have files open under any directory:

    /usr/sbin/lsof | grep

    Your is probably /media/usbdisk

    Volker

    PS: Please avoid excessive crossposting.

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:41:11 -0800, John Serafin wrote:
    >> Error
    >> Cannot unmount volume

    > Some process has its current working directory on the flash drive or
    > some application has a file on the flash drive open.

  5. Re: Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    Baz wrote:

    > Hello -
    >
    > I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to unmount my
    > USB flash drive.
    >
    > Error
    >
    > Cannot unmount volume
    >
    > The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line.
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL
    >
    > Contrary to the message, I didn't mount it manually on the command line.
    > It's been occurring now about a week. Previously, there was no problem.

    try removing gnome-mount (if installed), it solved for me some weeks ago.

  6. Re: Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 04:06 -0800, Baz wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I'm getting the following error message every time I attempt to
    > unmount my USB flash drive.
    >
    > Error
    >
    > Cannot unmount volume
    >
    > The volume was probably mounted manually on the command line.
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by
    > HAL
    >
    > Contrary to the message, I didn't mount it manually on the command
    > line. It's been occurring now about a week. Previously, there was no
    > problem. I guess it's not a big issue just pulling it out, but I'd
    > rather do it the proper way. Since it began, I've been going to
    > Administration > Disk and simply disabling it.

    I get this a lot when I delete files on the device.

    Empty the trash (or remove /where/mounted/.Trash- directory)
    and then try to umount it.

    That is annoying to me.
    --
    greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

    The technology that is
    Stronger, better, faster: Linux

  7. Re: Unable to Unmount Flash Drive

    Hi Baz, hola Amaya

    > Are you using fam?

    FAM daemon used to keep additional monitor one path back in history from the
    actual one, IIRR. (Still valid?) So, for example, moving a filemanager two levels
    away from the mountpoint would release it for mountd. Which is ugly.

    As far as i can see, KDE apps runs nearly flawless without FAM, they maintain their
    own monitor. Same for gnome-commander.
    However, as an example, the 'file open' dialog of Gimp doesn't get updated
    if you remove a file with konqueror. (It works the other way round of course.)
    Maybe it's worth to deinstall fam and look if you are really missing too
    much. (Me not