Debian will not detect IDE drive - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian will not detect IDE drive - Debian ; Hi there Hope someone can help me with this I am trying to install Debian 3.1 in a SONY VAIO laptop machine (VGN-770G). I've been able to boot from a DVD and start the installation process, however, when debian is ...

  1. Debian will not detect IDE drive

    Hi there

    Hope someone can help me with this
    I am trying to install Debian 3.1 in a SONY VAIO laptop machine
    (VGN-770G). I've been able to boot from a DVD and start the
    installation process, however, when debian is first detecting hardware,
    I will get the following error:

    "Linux kernel modules needed to drive some of your hardware are not
    available yet. Simply proceeding with the install may make these
    modules available later.

    The unavailable modules, and the devices that need them are:
    ide-scsi(Linux IDE-SCSI emulation layer), ide-mod(Linux IDE driver),
    ide-prob-mod(Linux IDE probe driver), ide-detect(Linux IDE detection),
    ide-floppy(Linux IDE floppy)."

    I believe these modules are related to the hard drive, so, if I try to
    continue with the installation process (which is actually partition the
    disc) as suggested by the error message I won't be able to do it and be
    forced to abort installation............

    What can I do?? Is there a patch for this somewhere? or Should I try to
    install a
    different debian release??

  2. Re: Debian will not detect IDE drive

    Hi Marc

    You can try http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
    These are custom d-i for Sarge.

    --
    ====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+ ====+====+====+====+
    Yukiharu Yabuki (矢吹幸治) I use Debian GNU/Linux

  3. Re: Debian will not detect IDE drive

    Thanks a lot Yukiharu
    By using the sarge-custom-1011.iso image I was able to install Debian
    on my VAIO machine. I still need to install the graphical interface but
    up to now everything has gone smoothly.
    Regards
    Marc

    ************************************************** *************************************************
    Yukiharu Yabuki ha escrito:

    > Hi Marc
    >
    > You can try http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
    > These are custom d-i for Sarge.
    >
    > > What can I do?? Is there a patch for this somewhere? or Should I try to
    > > install a
    > > different debian release??

    > --

  4. Re: Debian will not detect IDE drive