RE: iTunes & Linux (Debian) - Debian

This is a discussion on RE: iTunes & Linux (Debian) - Debian ; With the risk of sounding rude, that's what you get for using a proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc. Dave Our lives begin to end the day ...

  1. RE: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    With the risk of sounding rude, that's what you get for using a
    proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM
    protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc.

    Dave

    Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
    matter.
    --Martin Luther King Jr.

    ________________________________

    So, it appears the only way to play music purchased from Apple (mp4
    audio files) on Linux is to burn a CD, then rip them - or, use CrossOver
    Office. Yes?

    Sebastian

  2. Re: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    David Pastern wrote:

    > With the risk of sounding rude, thatís what you get for using a
    > proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM
    > protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
    > --Martin Luther King Jr.

    Maybe I don't disagree with you about your sentiments, but is there any
    other service like iTunes that doesn't use DRM? That's the real problem
    to me: finally we get to actually pick which songs we want and only buy
    those, and they make it so we can't hardly listen to them. I'm sure this
    is much more a concession that Apple made to get the RIAA to go along
    with it though.

  3. RE: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    http://wiki.ursine.ca/Top_posting

    David Pastern wrote:

    > With the risk of sounding rude, that's what you get for using a
    > proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM
    > protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc.

    I second that. You're better off with a Palm Tungsten running Aeroplayer
    for about the same price as an iPod. Just put Vorbis on a SDIO card, put
    SDIO card in Palm, run Aeroplayer and you're gold. Aeroplayer will also
    play MP3s, but you have to pay for the MP3 plugin for the same reasons
    Debian refuses to distribute MP3 encoders.

  4. Re: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    Thus spake Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca):

    > http://wiki.ursine.ca/Top_posting
    >
    > David Pastern wrote:
    >
    > > With the risk of sounding rude, that's what you get for using a
    > > proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM
    > > protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc.

    > I second that. You're better off with a Palm Tungsten running Aeroplayer
    > for about the same price as an iPod. Just put Vorbis on a SDIO card, put
    > SDIO card in Palm, run Aeroplayer and you're gold. Aeroplayer will also
    > play MP3s, but you have to pay for the MP3 plugin for the same reasons
    > Debian refuses to distribute MP3 encoders.

    Alternately, Cowan make the iAudio players which will happily play
    WAV, MP3, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC.

    And is apparently (not that I've heard others) one of the
    best-sounding players on the market. I'm more than happy with mine,
    despite the slightly clunky remote.
    --
    |Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
    |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to. |

  5. Re: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    Angelo Bertolli wrote:

    > David Pastern wrote:
    >>
    >> With the risk of sounding rude, that?s what you get for using a
    >> proprietary system. Do NOT support Apple, and their usage of DRM
    >> protected, user screwed systems that are iTunes etc.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >> Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
    >> --Martin Luther King Jr.
    >>

    > Maybe I don't disagree with you about your sentiments, but is there any
    > other service like iTunes that doesn't use DRM?

    MP3.com and pretty much anybody offering music in Vorbis.

  6. Re: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    Hello David and *,

    first of all Happy new Year!

    Am 2006-12-28 08:29:05, schrieb David Pastern:
    > seriously looking at buying one. My iPod Mini died in the ass after
    > around 9 months of usage and I was NOT prepared to accept Apple's
    > illegal warranty agreement. Sadly, being the lazy bastard that I am, I

    I am courious about what you mean...
    Can you explain please?

    Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

    Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
    50, rue de Soultz MSM LinuxMichi
    0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

  7. Re: iTunes & Linux (Debian)

    On Wednesday 27 December 2006, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
    > Maybe I don't disagree with you about your sentiments, but is there
    > any other service like iTunes that doesn't use DRM? That's the real
    > problem to me: finally we get to actually pick which songs we want
    > and only buy those, and they make it so we can't hardly listen to
    > them. I'm sure this is much more a concession that Apple made to get
    > the RIAA to go along with it though.

    emusic.com (subscription, MP3's (lame --preset [fast?] standard I
    think))
    magnatune.com (my favourite, but they have a much smaller selection
    compared to emusic or iTS)
    cdbaby.com (they sell CDs I think)
    --
    Matt Sicker