What laptop should I buy for running Debian? - Debian

This is a discussion on What laptop should I buy for running Debian? - Debian ; Hello *, Yes, I know this is a very common question, but knowing that laptops are changing all the time, I'd like knowing what laptop would you prefer for running Debian, I mean, what do you suggest? what have been ...

  1. What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    Hello *,

    Yes, I know this is a very common question, but knowing that laptops
    are changing all the time, I'd like knowing what laptop would you
    prefer for running Debian, I mean, what do you suggest? what have been
    your experiences? what shouldn't I buy?.

    I want to buy a laptop in a range of price between 1000 $ and 1400 $.
    I was searching on the net and I found a Toshiba Satellite(r) Notebook
    Family: A100/A105 Series. [0]

    Actually I'd prefer buying an IBM Thinkpad but I've read that Lenovo
    doesn't have a good technical support and it's difficult to me this
    part because I live in South America, so if they don't care too much
    about people who live in USA and Europe what should I expect if I live
    in South America :S. At least I can found toshiba and dell parts and
    technical support too easy in my country. ( I don't like dell too
    much, I had one and it wasn't a good experience for me)

    I hope all of you can help me and thanks for reading,

    Note: I'll buy the laptop on the Internet.

    [0] http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...-30599&seg=HHO
    --
    Muammar El Khatib.
    Linux user: 403107.

  2. Re: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    On Sunday 17 December 2006 13:26, Muammar Wadih El Khatib Rodriguez wrote:
    > Hello *,
    >
    > Yes, I know this is a very common question, but knowing that laptops
    > are changing all the time, I'd like knowing what laptop would you
    > prefer for running Debian, I mean, what do you suggest? what have been
    > your experiences? what shouldn't I buy?.
    >
    > I want to buy a laptop in a range of price between 1000 $ and 1400 $.
    > I was searching on the net and I found a Toshiba Satellite(r) Notebook
    > Family: A100/A105 Series. [0]

    I've personally had good experience with System76
    . (They preload all their computers with Ubuntu,
    which I replace with a real Debian install, of course Their laptops
    should be easily in your quoted price range.

    There are several other Linux-specific laptop vendors out there (Emperor
    Linux comes to mind), but I have never used them myself.

    --
    Wesley J. Landaker
    OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

  3. What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    Have a look at this web site.

    http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

    It list a wide range of laptops and information on installing Linux OS including Debian.

    I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch. I have an T43 and R50, both work. The fingerprint reader on the T43 does not work very well but then it doesn't work well under the shipped OS either.

  4. Re: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    On 12/18/06, stevendemetrius wrote:

    > Have a look at this web site.
    >
    > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    > It list a wide range of laptops and information on installing Linux OS
    > including Debian.
    >
    > I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch. I have an T43 and R50, both work. The
    > fingerprint reader on the T43 does not work very well but then it doesn't
    > work well under the shipped OS either.
    >

    > --

    Hello Steve -

    I second Thinkpad.

    So, you were able to get the fingerprint reader working. I haven't even
    tried yet. I'm interested in getting the ThinkVantage tools to work on the
    Debian partition. Have you been able to do this?

    Happy holidays,
    Sebastian

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  5. Re: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    Baz wrote:

    > So, you were able to get the fingerprint reader working.

    I'm not sure biometrics are ready for prime-time yet. I don't trust
    fingerprint readers and refuse to use biometrics for ID or authentication
    beyond their traditional uses because most fingerprint readers can be
    fooled by a Jello finger with a reproduction of the print on it, and I
    can't exactly go down to Handcrafters and get a new fingerprint in about an
    hour if someone does compromise my fingerprint.

  6. Re: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:49:03PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
    > Baz wrote:
    >
    > > So, you were able to get the fingerprint reader working.

    > I'm not sure biometrics are ready for prime-time yet. I don't trust
    > fingerprint readers and refuse to use biometrics for ID or authentication
    > beyond their traditional uses because most fingerprint readers can be
    > fooled by a Jello finger with a reproduction of the print on it, and I
    > can't exactly go down to Handcrafters and get a new fingerprint in about an
    > hour if someone does compromise my fingerprint.

    Let's take this elsewhere. The firngerprints are a bad authentication
    token as they're probably all over your computer. How about using the
    that scanner as a scanner to identify an object with a unique pattern
    you carry with you?

  7. Re: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?

    Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

    > On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:49:03PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
    >> Baz wrote:
    >>
    >> > So, you were able to get the fingerprint reader working.

    >> I'm not sure biometrics are ready for prime-time yet. I don't trust
    >> fingerprint readers and refuse to use biometrics for ID or authentication
    >> beyond their traditional uses because most fingerprint readers can be
    >> fooled by a Jello finger with a reproduction of the print on it, and I
    >> can't exactly go down to Handcrafters and get a new fingerprint in about
    >> an hour if someone does compromise my fingerprint.

    > Let's take this elsewhere. The firngerprints are a bad authentication
    > token as they're probably all over your computer. How about using the
    > that scanner as a scanner to identify an object with a unique pattern
    > you carry with you?

    That's getting closer. Something like what banks and offices use for access
    control to customer terminals and secured doors would be better: Swipe
    your card, then enter your passcode. Biometrics could take the place of
    the swipecard, though. Point being, one factor authentication is
    inheirently insecure, and one-factor biometric authentication doubly so.
    Case in point: Some models of BMW use the owner's fingerprints as an
    ignition "key." What have African car theives started to do? Hack the
    hand off the owner and use the disembodied hand to start the car! I'm not
    sure which is worse: Having someone mutilate you to get your auth token or
    have someone copy it with jello knowing you can't readily replace it...

  8. Re: Thinkpad (was: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?)

    On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:58:07AM +0100, stevendemetrius wrote:

    > Have a look at this web site.
    >
    > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >
    > I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch.

    Anyone bought one of these lately? I need to replace my old Toshiba I
    use for home/travel and I'm looking at the T60 wide screen.

    What I'm not clear on is how to configure it -- I'm just not that up
    on laptop hardware and what would work best for installing Debian with
    the least amount of fuss. I just don't have the free time I once had
    to get things working.

    Specifically, is there a good reason to pay $100 more for the ATI
    Radeon, and also which wireless to select. Those are the things I've
    had most trouble with in the past with laptops.

    http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/en/

    It's not too hard to bump up the features to $2000USD -- which is a bit
    past my price point.

    Another random listing of T60s:

    http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...0&by_category=

    And to pick one nice one at that $2000 level.

    http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...on=showDetails

    Oh, and any recommendations on where to buy? -- that is direct from Lenova
    vs. online.

    I do find the new Macbooks tempting, though. I have an iBook and I
    use it often for video ichat with work (I have an iSight camera). And
    I use it to bluetooth sync with my cell phone. But, I find it
    frustrating to use compared to my old Toshiba running Debian and
    icewm. Mac users must not have many windows open at the same time.

    And I miss the online support that's available when running Debian. I
    had both Apple Care (phone support) and the people at the "Genius Bar"
    at the Apple store tell me to reinstall the OS when the problem was
    only a mis-configured /etc/cups/client.conf -- reminded me too much of
    the old days running Windows.

    --
    Bill Moseley
    moseley@hank.org

  9. Re: Thinkpad (was: What laptop should I buy for running Debian?)

    Hi

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:30:49 -0800
    Bill Moseley wrote:

    > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:58:07AM +0100, stevendemetrius wrote:
    > >
    > > Have a look at this web site.
    > >
    > > http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    > >
    > > I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch.

    > Anyone bought one of these lately? I need to replace my old Toshiba I
    > use for home/travel and I'm looking at the T60 wide screen.

    I've got no experience with T-Series. I just got a R60 and it works like
    a charm until now. Haven't fiddled with the fingerprint reader yet, but
    it should work.

    You should check out http://www.thinkwiki.org - it's a really valuable
    ressource for Linux in combination with thinkpads. If you have further
    questions about the R60 (don't know, whether this is an alternative for
    you), feel free to mail me.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards, Alexander

    --
    Alexander Reelsen
    http://www.emplify.de

  10. Re: Thinkpad

    Alexander Reelsen wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:30:49 -0800
    > Bill Moseley wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 09:58:07AM +0100, stevendemetrius wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have a look at this web site.
    >>>
    >>> http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
    >>>
    >>> I recommend IBM Thinpad with Etch.
    >>>

    >> Anyone bought one of these lately? I need to replace my old Toshiba I
    >> use for home/travel and I'm looking at the T60 wide screen.
    >>

    > I've got no experience with T-Series. I just got a R60 and it works like
    > a charm until now. Haven't fiddled with the fingerprint reader yet, but
    > it should work.
    >
    > You should check out http://www.thinkwiki.org - it's a really valuable
    > ressource for Linux in combination with thinkpads. If you have further
    > questions about the R60 (don't know, whether this is an alternative for
    > you), feel free to mail me.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >

    > Regards, Alexander

    If you think you might want to run compiz or have any need for hardware
    graphics accelleration think twice before you buy a laptop with an ATI
    graphics card.

    I have an HP Pavilion dv8000z with the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M and it
    will not work with the ATI drivers. Loading the fglrx driver at Xserver
    startup sends the cpu into a race condition that creates so much heat
    that the laptop will spontaneously reboot within less than a minute if I
    don't manually power off the system. I'm locked out of all the text
    consoles during that time also so there is no way to recover other than
    killing the system with the power switch.

    I'm not saying all the ATI cards will react that way, but if you
    want/need hardware accelleration be positive that the card being used
    will work with the ATI drivers before you purchase your laptop. Your
    chances of having an Nvidia card work with Nvidia's drivers are much better.

    I'm pretty bummed that I have a machine that is theoretically capable of
    runing things such as compiz or any 3D games, but I'm unable to because
    of ATI's lousy drivers, and the fact that the open source drivers don't
    give any hardware acceleration.

    As far as wireless goes you might steer clear of a laptop with Broadcom
    wireless chipset if you want to be able to use software such as Airsnort
    as the bcm43xx kernel module is still pretty limited. The only way the
    Broadcom chip will work with WPA is to use ndiswrapper and the Windows
    NDIS drivers. However, if you are comfortable with WEP or clear text
    authentication to your wireless AP then it's probably not that big of a
    deal. However, just beware that you still will need bcm43xx-fwcutter to
    extract the firmware from the Windows drivers before the bcm43xx module
    will work.

    Now, I suspect that a part of my problems are caused by having a 64-bit
    cpu and the rest of the hardware being 32-bit, but that will probably be
    true of any other laptop with a 64-bit cpu too. I'm forced into running
    a 32-bit OS if I want wireless that starts with the OS. I can't use
    ndiswrapper in a pure 64-bit environment as the only Windows drivers
    available for the Broadcom chip are 32-bit and the 64-bit bcm43xx kernel
    module is something I've never gotten to work in any fashion.

  11. Re: Thinkpad

    Hi,

    On Fre, 29 Dez 2006, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
    > If you think you might want to run compiz or have any need for hardware
    > graphics accelleration think twice before you buy a laptop with an ATI
    > graphics card.

    i second that, and.. power management also only work with the ATI binary
    drivers.

    > I have an HP Pavilion dv8000z with the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M and it
    > will not work with the ATI drivers. Loading the fglrx driver at Xserver
    > startup sends the cpu into a race condition that creates so much heat
    > that the laptop will spontaneously reboot within less than a minute if I
    > don't manually power off the system. I'm locked out of all the text
    > consoles during that time also so there is no way to recover other than
    > killing the system with the power switch.

    is Xpress 200M not supported by the r300 driver?

    > want/need hardware accelleration be positive that the card being used
    > will work with the ATI drivers before you purchase your laptop. Your
    > chances of having an Nvidia card work with Nvidia's drivers are much better.

    Intel Cards, are the one to choose.

    > Now, I suspect that a part of my problems are caused by having a 64-bit
    > cpu and the rest of the hardware being 32-bit, but that will probably be
    > true of any other laptop with a 64-bit cpu too. I'm forced into running
    > a 32-bit OS if I want wireless that starts with the OS. I can't use
    > ndiswrapper in a pure 64-bit environment as the only Windows drivers
    > available for the Broadcom chip are 32-bit and the 64-bit bcm43xx kernel
    > module is something I've never gotten to work in any fashion.

    thats bull****.

    your error is/was to buy an laptop and "hope" that your OS
    will run on it. Is there a sticker "designed for linux" on it? Why did you
    buy hardware which is known not to work under linux?
    Aren't there enough reviews at tux mobile?

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  12. Re: Thinkpad

    fredddy@cableone.net said:
    > As far as wireless goes you might steer clear of a laptop with
    > Broadcom wireless chipset if you want to be able to use software such
    > as Airsnort as the bcm43xx kernel module is still pretty limited.

    it's progressing rapidly, though. My last laptop was an HP zv5000, and
    the bcm43xx driver worked very well.

    > The only way the Broadcom chip will work with WPA is to use
    > ndiswrapper and the Windows NDIS drivers.

    I used bcm43xx to do WPA on a daily basis.

    > Now, I suspect that a part of my problems are caused by having a 64-bit
    > cpu and the rest of the hardware being 32-bit, but that will probably be

    I had no problems using bcm43xx in a 64-bit kernel to do WPA,
    monitor mode/kismet/airsnort, pretty much everything.

    > true of any other laptop with a 64-bit cpu too. I'm forced into
    > running a 32-bit OS if I want wireless that starts with the OS. I
    > can't use ndiswrapper in a pure 64-bit environment as the only Windows
    > drivers available for the Broadcom chip are 32-bit and the 64-bit
    > bcm43xx kernel module is something I've never gotten to work in any
    > fashion.

    ndiswrapper worked on that hardware for me in both 32- and 64-bit modes.
    You need to get different firmware for 64-bit; it's a little harder to
    find. I stopped using ndiswrapper as bcm43xx matured.

    otoh, bcm43xx's functionality varies widely depending on exactly which
    broadcom wireless part you have. Some hardware is still unsupported.

    Jason

  13. Re: Thinkpad

    Jason Lunz wrote:
    > fredddy@cableone.net said:
    >
    >> As far as wireless goes you might steer clear of a laptop with
    >> Broadcom wireless chipset if you want to be able to use software such
    >> as Airsnort as the bcm43xx kernel module is still pretty limited.
    >>

    > it's progressing rapidly, though. My last laptop was an HP zv5000, and
    > the bcm43xx driver worked very well.
    >

    >> The only way the Broadcom chip will work with WPA is to use
    >> ndiswrapper and the Windows NDIS drivers.
    >>

    > I used bcm43xx to do WPA on a daily basis.
    >

    >> Now, I suspect that a part of my problems are caused by having a 64-bit
    >> cpu and the rest of the hardware being 32-bit, but that will probably be
    >>

    > I had no problems using bcm43xx in a 64-bit kernel to do WPA,
    > monitor mode/kismet/airsnort, pretty much everything.
    >

    >> true of any other laptop with a 64-bit cpu too. I'm forced into
    >> running a 32-bit OS if I want wireless that starts with the OS. I
    >> can't use ndiswrapper in a pure 64-bit environment as the only Windows
    >> drivers available for the Broadcom chip are 32-bit and the 64-bit
    >> bcm43xx kernel module is something I've never gotten to work in any
    >> fashion.
    >>

    > ndiswrapper worked on that hardware for me in both 32- and 64-bit modes.
    > You need to get different firmware for 64-bit; it's a little harder to
    > find. I stopped using ndiswrapper as bcm43xx matured.
    >
    > otoh, bcm43xx's functionality varies widely depending on exactly which
    > broadcom wireless part you have. Some hardware is still unsupported.
    >
    > Jason

    Interesting. What does lspci return as the part number for you, i.e.
    14E4:xxxx?

    Also, where did you find 64-bit firmware? All I've ever been able to
    find is 32-bit.

  14. ThinkVantage

    Hi Sebastian,

    > I'm interested in getting the ThinkVantage tools to work on the
    > Debian partition. Have you been able to do this?

    uhm, how do you imagine this to work ? It's all 'windows native' exe.
    I doubt that any emulator can run this stuff without trouble.

    But then, what's the point in launching ThinkVantage from a running linux ?
    Most tools are available as analog linux tools, and for the few really special
    things you might need in rare cases, it should be not too tedious to simply
    boot into ThinkVantage...that is, with thinkvantage on poartition /dev/sda2
    you can put up an entry in grub menu.lst like this:

    title thinkvantage
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

    hth