Install with floppy, usb nobootable, no cd - Debian

This is a discussion on Install with floppy, usb nobootable, no cd - Debian ; I try to search because I do not think to be the first having this "problem" but I found nothing. I have a portege 320ct, with floppy, usb no bootable, no cd. I downloaded debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso, then I created boot floppy ...

  1. Install with floppy, usb nobootable, no cd

    I try to search because I do not think to be the first having this
    "problem" but I found nothing.

    I have a portege 320ct, with floppy, usb no bootable, no cd.

    I downloaded debian-31r4-i386-netinst.iso, then I created boot floppy
    and extracted to usb the content of iso (also deploying in the root the
    content of the floppy directory).

    Then I boot from floppy, usb is recognized and loaded, installation
    continues through usb and I always arrive to the same point (as when I
    also created root & drivers floppies): installation wants to know where
    is my cd. I hoped I would have been able to reach the installation
    menu, to configure the network, to select packages, etc etc.

    In other words, I'm not able to "teach" to the installation where the
    netinst distro is.

    I also create a bootable usb with syslinux, I copied the whole iso
    file, I mounted the iso on the filesystem, but the menu is always the
    same: it wants areal cd!.

    Is there any hints?

    Thanks a lot

    AC

  2. Re: Install with floppy, usb nobootable, no cd

    Hi, phonex

    FYI.

    If portege 320ct has NIC and bios has PXE feature, You can try that TFTP boot
    image. like below.
    http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian/dist...nstaller/i386/

    You can use loadlin also. (But You should read loadlin howto)

    --
    Yukiharu Yabuki (矢吹幸治) I use Debian GNU/Linux

+ Reply to Thread