synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting - Debian

This is a discussion on synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting - Debian ; I use Sarge and installed the xfree86-drivers-synaptics to use the touchpad of my laptop. I added the following lines to the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4: .... load "synaptics" .... Section "InputDevice" Driver "synaptics" Identifier "Configured Mouse" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Protocol" "auto-dev" Option ...

  1. synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    I use Sarge and installed the xfree86-drivers-synaptics to use the
    touchpad of my laptop. I added the following lines to the
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

    load "synaptics"
    Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
    Option "RightEdge" "5300"
    Option "TopEdge" "1700"
    Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
    Option "FingerLow" "25"
    Option "FingerHigh" "30"
    Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
    Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
    Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
    Option "MinSpeed" "0.06"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "0.12"
    Option "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    #Option "GuestMouseOff" "on"
    Option "Repeater" "/dev/ps2mouse"
    Option "CorePointer" "true"
    EndSection
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"

    After reload of psmouse the touchpad works as expired. But after reboot
    the touchpad doesn't work. I always have to reload the psmouse modul
    manually.

    Is there a way to fix this?

  2. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 09:22:00PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    [...]
    > After reload of psmouse the touchpad works as expired. But after reboot
    > the touchpad doesn't work. I always have to reload the psmouse modul
    > manually.
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this?

    sounds like the "usb-handoff" kernel option might help.
    Can you try booting with that option?

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  3. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    Mattia Dongili wrote:

    >On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 09:22:00PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    >[...]
    >

    >>After reload of psmouse the touchpad works as expired. But after reboot
    >>the touchpad doesn't work. I always have to reload the psmouse modul
    >>manually.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to fix this?
    >>

    >sounds like the "usb-handoff" kernel option might help.
    >Can you try booting with that option?

    Hi Mattia,

    the usb-handoff is not the solution. I still have to reload the psmouse
    after rebooting.

    I read that I have to load the usb modul before the psmouse is loaded.
    Maybe that's the point? How can I configure this? In the /etc/modules
    psmouse is listed but not any usb module:
    ide-cd
    ide-disk
    ide-generic
    psmouse
    sbp2
    sr_mod

    Do I have to edit this file? Although there is any line concering usb in
    this file usb is working. So where do I set the order of starting?

  4. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:45:54PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    > Mattia Dongili wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 09:22:00PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    > >[...]
    > >

    > >>After reload of psmouse the touchpad works as expired. But after reboot
    > >>the touchpad doesn't work. I always have to reload the psmouse modul
    > >>manually.
    > >>
    > >>Is there a way to fix this?
    > >>

    > >sounds like the "usb-handoff" kernel option might help.
    > >Can you try booting with that option?
    > >

    > Hi Mattia,
    >
    > the usb-handoff is not the solution. I still have to reload the psmouse
    > after rebooting.
    >
    > I read that I have to load the usb modul before the psmouse is loaded.
    > Maybe that's the point? How can I configure this? In the /etc/modules
    > psmouse is listed but not any usb module:
    > ide-cd
    > ide-disk
    > ide-generic
    > psmouse
    > sbp2
    > sr_mod
    >
    > Do I have to edit this file? Although there is any line concering usb in
    > this file usb is working. So where do I set the order of starting?

    yes, just add usb modules before psmouse (eg: you'd just need "hid" as
    all the rest will be loaded as a dependency).

    Anyway the usb-handoff thing should already have taken care of it...

    by the way, could you post the difference of the contents of
    /proc/bus/input/devices before and after reloading psmouse?

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  5. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    Mattia Dongili wrote:

    >On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:45:54PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    >

    >>Mattia Dongili wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 09:22:00PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    >>>[...]
    >>>>

    >>>sounds like the "usb-handoff" kernel option might help.
    >>>Can you try booting with that option?
    >>>

    >>Hi Mattia,
    >>
    >>the usb-handoff is not the solution. I still have to reload the psmouse
    >>after rebooting.
    >>
    >>I read that I have to load the usb modul before the psmouse is loaded.
    >>Maybe that's the point? How can I configure this? In the /etc/modules
    >>psmouse is listed but not any usb module:
    >>ide-cd
    >>ide-disk
    >>ide-generic
    >>psmouse
    >>sbp2
    >>sr_mod
    >>
    >>Do I have to edit this file? Although there is any line concering usb in
    >>this file usb is working. So where do I set the order of starting?
    >>

    >yes, just add usb modules before psmouse (eg: you'd just need "hid" as
    >all the rest will be loaded as a dependency).
    >
    >Anyway the usb-handoff thing should already have taken care of it...
    >
    >by the way, could you post the difference of the contents of
    >/proc/bus/input/devices before and after reloading psmouse?

    As wanted here is the output of the /proc-FS:

    Directly after booting:
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab54
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    H: Handlers=kbd event0
    B: EV=120003
    B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
    B: LED=7

    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3

    Directly after removing psmouse:
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab54
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    H: Handlers=kbd event0
    B: EV=120003
    B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
    B: LED=7

    Directly after reloading psmouse:
    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab54
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
    H: Handlers=kbd event0
    B: EV=120003
    B: KEY=4 2000000 3802078 f840d001 f2ffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
    B: LED=7

    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
    N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=6420 0 70003 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=11000003

    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
    H: Handlers=event2 mouse1 ts1
    B: EV=7
    B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    B: REL=3

    I edited the /etc/modules so that hid is in the line right before
    psmouse but again the module isn't loaded as you see above.

    Another point I noticed: the synaptic module is only activated if I
    touch the touchpad before I load the psmouse with modprobe. (But
    touching the touchpad while booting doesn't neither load the module
    automatically.) If I don't touch the pad the "normal" PS/2 Generic Mouse
    is loaded. Maybe that's a hint for you - for me it isn't.

  6. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:55:02PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    [...]
    > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    > N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    > P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    > H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    > B: EV=7
    > B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > B: REL=3

    [...]
    > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
    > N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    > P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    > H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    > B: EV=b
    > B: KEY=6420 0 70003 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > B: ABS=11000003
    >
    > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    > N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    > P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
    > H: Handlers=event2 mouse1 ts1
    > B: EV=7
    > B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > B: REL=3
    >
    > I edited the /etc/modules so that hid is in the line right before
    > psmouse but again the module isn't loaded as you see above.
    >
    > Another point I noticed: the synaptic module is only activated if I
    > touch the touchpad before I load the psmouse with modprobe. (But
    > touching the touchpad while booting doesn't neither load the module
    > automatically.) If I don't touch the pad the "normal" PS/2 Generic Mouse
    > is loaded. Maybe that's a hint for you - for me it isn't.

    weird. It really sounds like the usb-handoff issue.
    Anyway I doubt that touching the touchpad during boot makes any
    difference.

    Which kernel version are you using?

    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  7. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    Sorry, for waiting for an answer so long.

    Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu on my notebook. There I had the same problem
    with the mouse/touchpad. After deleting the file with the input-rules for
    udev (/etc/udev/rules.d/65-persistent-input.rules) and reload the psmouse
    module in the /etc/rc.local the touchpad is working as wanted. Also an
    ordinary mouse connected to usb works. I don't know if it is the right way
    but it works.

    Thanks for your help
    Martin

    2006/12/15, Mattia Dongili :

    > On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:55:02PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    > > N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    > > P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    > > H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    > > B: EV=7
    > > B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > > B: REL=3

    > [...]
    > > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
    > > N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
    > > P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    > > H: Handlers=event1 mouse0 ts0
    > > B: EV=b
    > > B: KEY=6420 0 70003 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > > B: ABS=11000003
    > >
    > > I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
    > > N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
    > > P: Phys=synaptics-pt/serio0/input0
    > > H: Handlers=event2 mouse1 ts1
    > > B: EV=7
    > > B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > > B: REL=3
    > >
    > > I edited the /etc/modules so that hid is in the line right before
    > > psmouse but again the module isn't loaded as you see above.
    > >
    > > Another point I noticed: the synaptic module is only activated if I
    > > touch the touchpad before I load the psmouse with modprobe. (But
    > > touching the touchpad while booting doesn't neither load the module
    > > automatically.) If I don't touch the pad the "normal" PS/2 Generic Mouse
    > > is loaded. Maybe that's a hint for you - for me it isn't.

    > weird. It really sounds like the usb-handoff issue.
    > Anyway I doubt that touching the touchpad during boot makes any
    > difference.
    >
    > Which kernel version are you using?
    >
    > --
    > mattia
    > :wq!

  8. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    Hello,

    On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:17:05PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    > Sorry, for waiting for an answer so long.
    >
    > Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu on my notebook. There I had the same problem
    > with the mouse/touchpad. After deleting the file with the input-rules for
    > udev (/etc/udev/rules.d/65-persistent-input.rules) and reload the psmouse
    > module in the /etc/rc.local the touchpad is working as wanted. Also an
    > ordinary mouse connected to usb works. I don't know if it is the right way
    > but it works.

    Actually one last thing you may want to try (and that I should have
    mentioned earlier) is looking if you have Legacy USB support set to on
    in your bios and eventually disabling it.

    Bye
    --
    mattia
    :wq!

  9. Re: synaptics mouse driver isn't started automatically while booting

    Thank you for the hint. But it doesn't work. Neither with usb-handoff nor
    without. I don't know whether this notebook has got a faulty usb
    implementation. So I have to work with my workaround. Maybe the next
    notebook will work as expected.

    Thanks again. Bye Martin

    > On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:17:05PM +0100, Martin Brakus wrote:
    > > Sorry, for waiting for an answer so long.
    > >
    > > Meanwhile I switched to Ubuntu on my notebook. There I had the same

    > problem
    > > with the mouse/touchpad. After deleting the file with the input-rules

    > for
    > > udev (/etc/udev/rules.d/65-persistent-input.rules) and reload the

    > psmouse
    > > module in the /etc/rc.local the touchpad is working as wanted. Also an
    > > ordinary mouse connected to usb works. I don't know if it is the right

    > way
    > > but it works.

    > Actually one last thing you may want to try (and that I should have
    > mentioned earlier) is looking if you have Legacy USB support set to on
    > in your bios and eventually disabling it.
    >
    > Bye
    > --
    > mattia
    > :wq!