PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch - Debian

This is a discussion on PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch - Debian ; Hi, Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of additional ...

  1. PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch

    Hi,

    Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the
    Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or
    ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of
    additional apt-get of drivers.

    regards,
    Duncan

  2. Re: PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch

    * Duncan Robertson [2006 Dec 07 20:57 -0600]:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the
    > Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or
    > ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of
    > additional apt-get of drivers.

    I have a Linksys WPC55AG that is Atheros based and supported by the
    Madwifi driver. Even though the module source package is in non-free,
    building it is very easy with module-assistant which takes care of
    getting the proper headers for your running kernel, configures them,
    compiles the driver, builds a .deb package and finally installs it with
    two commands.

    After building and installing for the latest kernel Sunday evening, I
    purged the old wpasupplicant and just used wlassistant from within KDE
    to connect to my WEP enabled router. Smooth as silk.

    Check out www.madwifi.org for more information.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  3. Re: PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch

    Duncan Robertson wrote:
    > Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the
    > Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or
    > ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of
    > additional apt-get of drivers.

    I have had good luck with the Orinoco cards. I have also been lucky
    and found Linksys WPC11 802.11b cards with the Orinoco chipset in
    them. These have always worked out of the box. However newer Linksys
    cards use a different chipset such as the WPC54G with the broadcom
    chipset and is not supported.

    I have an atheros chipset on an internal wifi and from a features
    point of view the atheros is much better than the orinoco. Friends
    with the Intel IPW2200 seem to have the best set of features.

    Bob

  4. Re: PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch

    Bob Proulx wrote:
    > Duncan Robertson wrote:
    >> Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the
    >> Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or
    >> ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of
    >> additional apt-get of drivers.

    > I have had good luck with the Orinoco cards. I have also been lucky
    > and found Linksys WPC11 802.11b cards with the Orinoco chipset in
    > them. These have always worked out of the box. However newer Linksys
    > cards use a different chipset such as the WPC54G with the broadcom
    > chipset and is not supported.
    >
    > I have an atheros chipset on an internal wifi and from a features
    > point of view the atheros is much better than the orinoco. Friends
    > with the Intel IPW2200 seem to have the best set of features.
    >
    > Bob

    I can tell that old Cisco Aironet 350 work if you do not recompile
    kernel module (see few subject above). But of course this doesn't help much.

    Have a nice day,
    JL