Command Language Reference Book (Website) - Debian

This is a discussion on Command Language Reference Book (Website) - Debian ; Hello. Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)? Thanks. Sebastian "...heart and soul....one will burn." - Joy Division...

  1. Command Language Reference Book (Website)

    Hello. Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
    fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)? Thanks.
    Sebastian

    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  2. Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

    http://www.cactus.org/~dak/shellscript.html
    http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+tutorial

    --
    Eric Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  3. Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

    On date Tuesday 2006-12-05 16:39:44 -0800, Baz, wrote:
    > Hello. Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
    > fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)? Thanks.
    > Sebastian
    >
    > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    > - Joy Division

    For the bash programming:
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

    But consider also to use as shell fish:
    http://fishshell.org/

    As a Devian reference consider the debian-reference-
    package, maybe a too little outdated and:
    http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage

    HTH
    --
    Stefano Sabatini
    Linux user number 337176 (see http://li.count.org)

  4. Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

    On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 12:11:14PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
    > On date Tuesday 2006-12-05 16:39:44 -0800, Baz, wrote:
    > > Hello. Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
    > > fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)? Thanks.
    > > Sebastian
    > >
    > > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    > > - Joy Division

    > For the bash programming:
    > http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
    >
    > But consider also to use as shell fish:
    > http://fishshell.org/
    >
    > As a Devian reference consider the debian-reference-
    > package, maybe a too little outdated and:
    > http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage

    I think the man pages and other docs that came with the system are
    the only viable candidates for use as a 'reference' for command
    line utilities - anything else is liable to differ in the details
    with what you are actually running.

    If you want something that is more of a tutorial/overview/introduction,
    then I have found 'XXX System Administration Handbook' (where XXX is
    Unix or Linux depending on version) by Nemeth et al very useful for
    (as the name implies) system administration issues. The Linux version
    covers specifics of SuSE, Red Hat and Debian - so is also useful for
    comparing the distros or for people using more than one.

    The best, most concise overview of Unix that I have come across was the
    original article by Richie and Thompson in the Bell Systems Technical
    journal - but I don't know where you would find that now.

    Regards,
    DigbyT
    --
    Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt(at)digbyt.com
    http://www.digbyt.com

  5. Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

    On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:39:44PM -0800, Baz wrote:
    > Hello. Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
    > fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)?

    man bash

    --
    К.А.,
    enfant terrible.