Deleting Debian - Enough's enough - Debian

This is a discussion on Deleting Debian - Enough's enough - Debian ; What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And, if I'm looking to install Ubuntu, will it simply overwrite Debian? -- "...heart and soul....one will burn." - Joy Division...

  1. Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  2. Re: Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    On 12/4/06, Baz wrote:
    > What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And, if I'm
    > looking to install Ubuntu, will it simply overwrite Debian?
    >
    > --
    > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    > - Joy Division

    I think that if you install Ubuntu and install GRUB in the same place,
    it will simply overwrite the old GRUB.

    Cheers,

    Brian

  3. Re: Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:31:34 -0800
    Baz wrote:

    > What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And,

    If you grub.conf is located there, you will not be able to use your
    grub anymore.

  4. Re: Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    Baz wrote:
    > What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And, if I'm
    > looking to install Ubuntu, will it simply overwrite Debian?

    You'll lose your menu at least. Also, you will lose the ability
    for it to read your file system(s). I think it would be best
    to re-install GRUB after putting Ubuntu in.

    Mike
    You have found the bank of Larn.

  5. Re: Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    It depends on how you install Ubuntu. I left Debian on my computer when I
    tested Ubuntu. Ubuntu was installed to a different partition or drive. The
    Ubuntu installer read my grub cinfiguration on the other drive and appended
    it to the botton of the Ubuntu grub configuration. This allowed me to boot
    which one I wanted. I did not ask it to do that, it did it automatically.
    If you do not want debian at all, delete the Debian partition before
    installing Ubuntu.

    Robert

    On Monday 04 December 2006 17:31, Baz wrote:
    > What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And, if I'm
    > looking to install Ubuntu, will it simply overwrite Debian?

  6. Re: Deleting Debian - Enough's enough

    Robert Goley :
    > On Monday 04 December 2006 17:31, Baz wrote:
    > > What happens to GRUB if I simply delete the Debian partition? And, if I'm
    > > looking to install Ubuntu, will it simply overwrite Debian?

    > It depends on how you install Ubuntu. I left Debian on my computer when I
    > tested Ubuntu. Ubuntu was installed to a different partition or drive. The
    > Ubuntu installer read my grub configuration on the other drive and appended
    > it to the botton of the Ubuntu grub configuration. This allowed me to boot

    Me too, and I thought it bloody rude! I already had a perfectly good
    grub installed, yet *ubuntu decided to blow it away and over-write the
    existing grub, no questions asked. Something like Zenwalk is far more
    polite even using lilo; it asks whether to install it and where to
    install it.

    I recently did a multi-boot install for a client (he wanted to try out
    multiple distros), and we managed to keep three of them bootable
    despite the various installers rude practice of blowing away
    whatever's there instead of politely adding themselves to the existing
    setup.

    However, I'll admit, if I was an installer, I might find it a bit
    difficult to figure out which of the five installed distros controlled
    defining the boot. Regardless, *buntu didn't even try. It just
    tossed in a stick of dynamite and took over. Opensuse 10.x at least
    tried, even if it got it wrong.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html