System Freeze w/audio CDs - Debian

This is a discussion on System Freeze w/audio CDs - Debian ; Hello. I installed "etch" on a Z60t Thinkpad a few days ago. Now, the entire system freezes when I attempt to play an audio CD. Although I'm new to Linux, this sounds major; as in, I'll likely need to reinstall ...

  1. System Freeze w/audio CDs

    Hello.

    I installed "etch" on a Z60t Thinkpad a few days ago. Now, the entire
    system freezes when I attempt to play an audio CD. Although I'm new to
    Linux, this sounds major; as in, I'll likely need to reinstall it. Of
    course, the experience, which leads me to this assessment comes from working
    with Apple OS/X and Windows. Is this assessment correct? If not, where
    should I begin looking to ID and correct the problem?

    Sebastian

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

  2. Re: System Freeze w/audio CDs

    On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:50:45 -0800 Baz wrote:

    > I installed "etch" on a Z60t Thinkpad a few days ago. Now, the entire
    > system freezes when I attempt to play an audio CD. Although I'm new
    > to Linux, this sounds major; as in, I'll likely need to reinstall
    > it. Of course, the experience, which leads me to this assessment
    > comes from working with Apple OS/X and Windows. Is this assessment
    > correct? If not, where should I begin looking to ID and correct the
    > problem?

    Did you read my last answer?
    Subject: Re: thinkpad z60t - problem with playing audio cds (was:unknown)
    Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:12:36 +0100
    --
    ^^^ | Evgeni -SargentD- Golov (sargentd@die-welt.net)
    d(O_o)b | PGP-Key-ID: 0xAC15B50C
    >-|-< | WWW: http://www.die-welt.net ICQ: 54116744

    / \ | IRC: #sod @ irc.german-freakz.net

  3. Re: [Thinkpad] System Freeze w/audio CDs

    What CD player program are you using? Does it freeze as soon as you stick
    the disk in? If so, what desktop are you using? KDE? Gnome? XFCE? Can you
    play other sounds/music files? Can you rip audio with CDParanoia? Which
    optical drive do you have?

    On 12/4/06, Baz wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I installed "etch" on a Z60t Thinkpad a few days ago. Now, the entire
    > system freezes when I attempt to play an audio CD. Although I'm new to
    > Linux, this sounds major; as in, I'll likely need to reinstall it. Of
    > course, the experience, which leads me to this assessment comes from
    > working
    > with Apple OS/X and Windows. Is this assessment correct? If not, where
    > should I begin looking to ID and correct the problem?
    >
    > Sebastian
    >
    > --
    > "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    > - Joy Division

    - Alex Austin
    Circuitsoft Computer Services
    (651) 238-9273
    www.circuitsoftcs.com

    "...and then I visited Wikipedia ...and the next 8 hours are a blur."

  4. Re: System Freeze w/audio CDs

    --
    "...heart and soul....one will burn."
    - Joy Division

    - Alex Austin
    Circuitsoft Computer Services

    (651) 238-9273
    www.circuitsoftcs.com

    "...and then I visited Wikipedia ...and the next 8 hours are a blur."

    > ------=_Part_39051_15798186.1165282190291--

    Hi!
    Same problem on a Toshiba Satellite A100, using Gnome on "etch".
    Data CDs/DVDs work perfectly, but when I try to rip with cdparanoia
    (grip) or
    to listen to audio cd (using the default gnome player, or xmms, it's
    the same)
    the system freezes and I have to power-off using the power button.
    When I power-up again I always receive a message like "inconsistent
    filesystem structure"
    (or something similar, I don't remeber exactly) when grub tries to load
    the kernel, then I have to
    boot using Knoppix and re-install grub.
    It's not so funny.

    I found this thread:
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/11/9/120

    concerning this bug:

    Before trying to downgrade cdparanoia I tried to compile kernel
    2.6.19-rc6 on my "etch" but
    unfortunately it did not boot and I had not time to fix the problem.
    Now I'm using kernel 2.6.18.2, home-compiled, but I found the same
    freeze problem using
    the package kernel-image-2.6-686-smp (2.6.17).

    This is my optical drive:

    ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x18B8 irq 15
    scsi1 : ata_piix
    ata2.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
    ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
    Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVDRAM GMA-4082N Rev: HV02
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

    Have you got any suggestion?

    Thanks!
    Bye.