Problems with Intel Dual Core processor - Debian

This is a discussion on Problems with Intel Dual Core processor - Debian ; Hello, I've Debian testing/sid installed on a Sony notebook (VGN-SZ1M/B), which has a Intel T2300 dual core processor in it. I'm using the latest 2.6.17-kernel. Unfortunately, only one processor core is recognised. I had Kubuntu 6.06/Dapper installed before (2.6.15-kernel), which ...

  1. Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    Hello,

    I've Debian testing/sid installed on a Sony notebook (VGN-SZ1M/B), which has a
    Intel T2300 dual core processor in it. I'm using the latest 2.6.17-kernel.
    Unfortunately, only one processor core is recognised. I had Kubuntu
    6.06/Dapper installed before (2.6.15-kernel), which recognised both processor
    cores.

    Do I need to load any special modules? Shouldn't the kernel be SMP-capable?
    How can I get the 2nd core to work?

    Thanks for your help in advance,

    Christian

  2. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    Christian Schuerer wrote:
    > I've Debian testing/sid installed on a Sony notebook (VGN-SZ1M/B), which has a
    > Intel T2300 dual core processor in it. I'm using the latest 2.6.17-kernel.
    > Unfortunately, only one processor core is recognised. I had Kubuntu
    > 6.06/Dapper installed before (2.6.15-kernel), which recognised both processor
    > cores.
    >
    > Do I need to load any special modules? Shouldn't the kernel be SMP-capable?
    > How can I get the 2nd core to work?

    make sure you are using 2.6.17 kernel that has smp in the name, 'normal'
    kernels are not smp-capable;

    regards,

    --
    Lubos _@_"
    http://www.lubos.vrbka.net

  3. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

  4. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    Hello,

    On Monday 18 September 2006 16:08, Glenn English wrote:
    > Christian Schuerer wrote:
    > > Do I need to load any special modules? Shouldn't the kernel be
    > > SMP-capable? How can I get the 2nd core to work?

    > Are you using the smp kernel?
    >
    > (Sorry if this is obvious, but I've been there...)

    > Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be a 2.6.17 smp yet. Try
    > "linux-image-2.6.16-2-686-smp"

    As of 2.6.17, the normal kernel should be smp-capable, which means it should
    recognise the processor itself. It shouldn't be necessary any more, to
    compile an extra kernel with smp.

    So that's why I'm asking: it /should/ work with the normal 2.6.17-kernel, but
    it doesn't :-(

    Regards,

    Christian

  5. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    Hello,

    Please, Sometimes you need to deactivate the APM to let the kernel
    recognize the dual core. You can do it in the BIOS, and check if the
    dual core is recognized after that.

    ACPI can works but not APM

    Christian Schuerer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > On Monday 18 September 2006 16:08, Glenn English wrote:
    >> Christian Schuerer wrote:
    >>> Do I need to load any special modules? Shouldn't the kernel be
    >>> SMP-capable? How can I get the 2nd core to work?

    >> Are you using the smp kernel?
    >>
    >> (Sorry if this is obvious, but I've been there...)

    >> Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be a 2.6.17 smp yet. Try
    >> "linux-image-2.6.16-2-686-smp"

    > As of 2.6.17, the normal kernel should be smp-capable, which means it should
    > recognise the processor itself. It shouldn't be necessary any more, to
    > compile an extra kernel with smp.
    >
    > So that's why I'm asking: it /should/ work with the normal 2.6.17-kernel, but
    > it doesn't :-(
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Christian

  6. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    Hello,

    On Monday 18 September 2006 17:10, David Navas wrote:
    > Please, Sometimes you need to deactivate the APM to let the kernel
    > recognize the dual core. You can do it in the BIOS, and check if the
    > dual core is recognized after that.
    >
    > ACPI can works but not APM

    Okay, thank you very much for the hint, I will give it a try next time I'm
    near to the notebook (it's not mine).

    I'm just curious why it worked on Ubuntu with a 2.6.15 kernel.

    Greetings,

    Christian

  7. Re: Problems with Intel Dual Core processor

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Christian Schuerer wrote:

    > On Monday 18 September 2006 16:08, Glenn English wrote:
    > > Christian Schuerer wrote:
    > > > Do I need to load any special modules? Shouldn't the kernel be
    > > > SMP-capable? How can I get the 2nd core to work?

    > > Are you using the smp kernel?
    > > (Sorry if this is obvious, but I've been there...)
    > > Hmmm. There doesn't seem to be a 2.6.17 smp yet. Try
    > > "linux-image-2.6.16-2-686-smp"

    > As of 2.6.17, the normal kernel should be smp-capable, which means it should
    > recognise the processor itself. It shouldn't be necessary any more, to
    > compile an extra kernel with smp.
    >
    > So that's why I'm asking: it /should/ work with the normal 2.6.17-kernel, but
    > it doesn't :-(

    i really doubt this.

    no smp kernel, no multi core support.

    --