processor dual core - Debian

This is a discussion on processor dual core - Debian ; Hello, the recent laptops have a processor dual core, but there are still laptops with centrino or turion processors. Which one is better to purchase ? (for the same price): dual core or centrino/turion. Is the dual core really an ...

  1. processor dual core

    Hello,
    the recent laptops have a processor dual core, but there are still laptops
    with centrino or turion processors.
    Which one is better to purchase ? (for the same price):
    dual core or centrino/turion.
    Is the dual core really an advantage ?
    tia.
    --
    Gérard

  2. Re: processor dual core

    Hi,

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:15:07 +0100 Gerard Robin wrote:

    > the recent laptops have a processor dual core, but there are still
    > laptops with centrino or turion processors.

    I think you're mixing somethin up.
    Centrino isn't a processor, but a kind of bundle. If the laptops does
    have an Intel mobile processor (p4-m, core(2) duo), a Intel chipset and
    a Intel wireless card (IPWxxxx) it has a Centrino logo. So does my
    Thinkpad with a Core Duo proc.
    There are also dual core Turions (called Turion 64 X2).

    > Which one is better to purchase ? (for the same price):
    > dual core or centrino/turion.

    I would buy a Core Duo.

    > Is the dual core really an advantage ?

    If you do a lot of compiling - yes.
    If you're using only one app at the same time, and this one isn't
    SMP-aware - no.

    Greets
    Evgeni

    --