Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA - Debian

This is a discussion on Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA - Debian ; Hi, I recently installed etch on a Thinkpad T40; it comes with a Cisco Aironet 350 mini-PCI wireless card, which uses the airo kernel module. Apparently this doesn't support WPA, which I need. Google tells me that there were a ...

  1. Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

    Hi,

    I recently installed etch on a Thinkpad T40; it comes with a Cisco Aironet 350
    mini-PCI wireless card, which uses the airo kernel module. Apparently this
    doesn't support WPA, which I need.

    Google tells me that there were a few moves afoot to include this support in
    the driver; but the latest report was from February - does anyone have more
    recent news on this; or a workaround?

    Thanks,

    John

  2. Re: Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

    Hi,

    take a look at
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Cisco_...reless_802.11b
    for a better overview of the situation.

    --
    Florian Reitmeir

  3. Re: Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

    On Friday 15 September 2006 23:16, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > take a look at
    > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Cisco_...reless_802.11b
    > for a better overview of the situation.
    >
    > On Fre, 15 Sep 2006, John O'Hagan wrote:
    > > I recently installed etch on a Thinkpad T40; it comes with a Cisco
    > > Aironet 350 mini-PCI wireless card, which uses the airo kernel module.
    > > Apparently this doesn't support WPA, which I need.
    > >
    > > Google tells me that there were a few moves afoot to include this support
    > > in the driver; but the latest report was from February - does anyone have
    > > more recent news on this; or a workaround?

    Thanks Florian.

    As it looks as if it may be a while, if at all, before WPA support finds its
    way into the driver, I am considering replacing the card with an IPW2100,
    which apparently is also an option in a T40, as long as the PCI-ID number
    is "authorized" (but this can be hacked:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...I_network_card).
    At least I know this driver works with WPA.

    Any reason not to do this?

    Regards,

    John

  4. Re: Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

    Hi,
    Am Samstag, 16. September 2006 10:20 schrieb John O'Hagan:
    > On Friday 15 September 2006 23:16, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > take a look at
    > > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Cisco_...reless_802.11b
    > > for a better overview of the situation.
    > >
    > > On Fre, 15 Sep 2006, John O'Hagan wrote:
    > > > I recently installed etch on a Thinkpad T40; it comes with a Cisco
    > > > Aironet 350 mini-PCI wireless card, which uses the airo kernel module.
    > > > Apparently this doesn't support WPA, which I need.
    > > >
    > > > Google tells me that there were a few moves afoot to include this
    > > > support in the driver; but the latest report was from February - does
    > > > anyone have more recent news on this; or a workaround?

    > Thanks Florian.
    >
    > As it looks as if it may be a while, if at all, before WPA support finds
    > its way into the driver, I am considering replacing the card with an
    > IPW2100, which apparently is also an option in a T40, as long as the PCI-ID
    > number is "authorized" (but this can be hacked:
    > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...CI_network_car
    >d). At least I know this driver works with WPA.
    >
    > Any reason not to do this?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > John

    This cards also works fine with wpa, if you use ndiswrapper and the latest
    windows drivers from cisco website.

    Regards,
    Peter

    --
    "The Death of One is a tragedy, the Death of Millions is just a statistic" -
    M.M.

    Key-ID: 0x1A995A9B
    keyserver: pgp.mit.edu

  5. Re: Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

    Hi,

    On Sam, 16 Sep 2006, John O'Hagan wrote:

    > Thanks Florian.
    >
    > As it looks as if it may be a while, if at all, before WPA support finds its
    > way into the driver, I am considering replacing the card with an IPW2100,
    > which apparently is also an option in a T40, as long as the PCI-ID number
    > is "authorized" (but this can be hacked:
    > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...I_network_card).
    > At least I know this driver works with WPA.
    >
    > Any reason not to do this?

    i used a ipw2200 and now a ipw3945 the intel drivers work nicely, and they
    are active supported. I never hacked to PCI ID, but there is a Mailinglist
    for the thinkwiki.. maybe a better place to get such answers.

    --
    Florian Reitmeir