Kernel upgrade problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Kernel upgrade problem - Debian ; hi lists: I would be grateful if you can share your expertise on the kernel upgrade of Debian PPC on Apple iBook. I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest (from kernel.org), and I followed ...

  1. Kernel upgrade problem

    hi lists:

    I would be grateful if you can share your expertise on the kernel
    upgrade of Debian PPC on Apple iBook.

    I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest
    (from kernel.org), and I followed the drill using make-kpkg. However,
    after the compilation began (i.e.: after "make-kpkg kernel_image") I
    was prompted with loads of yes or no questions, since I'm clueless
    about most of them I just press enter for default, but the compilation
    failed in the end (don't see the .deb file which is supposed to show
    up). I wonder if this is normal (to have so many - I think there are
    around 100 of them - prompts during the process)? Anyone has
    experience on this?

    My environment is iBook G3 (late 2001), Debian Sarge.

    all the best,

    Lawrence

  2. Re: Kernel upgrade problem

    On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 05:09:30PM +0800, Lawrence Li wrote:
    > I would be grateful if you can share your expertise on the kernel
    > upgrade of Debian PPC on Apple iBook.
    >
    > I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest
    > (from kernel.org), and I followed the drill using make-kpkg. However,
    > after the compilation began (i.e.: after "make-kpkg kernel_image") I
    > was prompted with loads of yes or no questions, since I'm clueless
    > about most of them I just press enter for default, but the compilation
    > failed in the end (don't see the .deb file which is supposed to show
    > up). I wonder if this is normal (to have so many - I think there are
    > around 100 of them - prompts during the process)? Anyone has
    > experience on this?
    >
    > My environment is iBook G3 (late 2001), Debian Sarge.

    Since 2.6.9 the debian kernel packages for linux are calledlinux-image-*
    You probably want to install one of the linux-image-2.6.17-2-powerpc*
    packages.

    michael

  3. Re: Kernel upgrade problem

    On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 06:54:12PM +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 05:09:30PM +0800, Lawrence Li wrote:
    > > I would be grateful if you can share your expertise on the kernel
    > > upgrade of Debian PPC on Apple iBook.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest
    > > (from kernel.org), and I followed the drill using make-kpkg. However,
    > > after the compilation began (i.e.: after "make-kpkg kernel_image") I
    > > was prompted with loads of yes or no questions, since I'm clueless
    > > about most of them I just press enter for default, but the compilation
    > > failed in the end (don't see the .deb file which is supposed to show
    > > up). I wonder if this is normal (to have so many - I think there are
    > > around 100 of them - prompts during the process)? Anyone has
    > > experience on this?
    > >
    > > My environment is iBook G3 (late 2001), Debian Sarge.

    > Since 2.6.9 the debian kernel packages for linux are calledlinux-image-*
    > You probably want to install one of the linux-image-2.6.17-2-powerpc*
    > packages.

    Actually: since Etch. Backports kernel-image-* packages may be found on
    backports.org . Not sure about ppc, though.

    -- Tzafrir

  4. Re: Kernel upgrade problem

    Lawrence Li wrote:
    > I would be grateful if you can share your expertise on the kernel
    > upgrade of Debian PPC on Apple iBook.

    Here is a good piece of documentation that I think will help you out a
    lot. It will answer some of the questions that you have not asked
    yet. :-)

    http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

    > I'm trying to upgrade the kernel from the default 2.6.8 to the latest
    > (from kernel.org), and I followed the drill using make-kpkg. However,
    > after the compilation began (i.e.: after "make-kpkg kernel_image") I
    > was prompted with loads of yes or no questions, since I'm clueless

    That sounds like you are using the older style of kernel make config.
    I recommend that you start by copying a good config file, such as from
    /boot, and then starting from there. Then use make menuconfig to get
    a nicer interface to answer those questions. (No, I don't like make
    xconfig.)

    cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
    make menuconfig

    And then run the make-kpkg after it has been configured.

    Bob