Installing rpms or debs - Debian

This is a discussion on Installing rpms or debs - Debian ; Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of linux. I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree ...

  1. Installing rpms or debs

    Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of
    linux.
    I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply
    because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like fashion.
    This is a major headache. Currently I have to get a list of each dependency
    package I need, then search on the debian site for them. Once done, I have
    to then install the dependencies of those files using the same method
    again. There has to be some software that automates this process. Is thre
    anything like this out there and if so, where can I download it? Thanks in
    advance!

    Kindest Regards,
    -- Brandon Fogerty

    GOD Bless
    you Always!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Re: Installing rpms or debs

    Brandon Fogerty wrote:
    > Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor
    > of linux.
    > I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software
    > simply because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like
    > fashion. This is a major headache. Currently I have to get a list of
    > each dependency package I need, then search on the debian site for
    > them. Once done, I have to then install the dependencies of those
    > files using the same method again. There has to be some software that
    > automates this process. Is thre anything like this out there and if
    > so, where can I download it? Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Kindest Regards,
    > -- Brandon Fogerty
    >

    > GOD
    > Bless you Always!!!!!!!!!!

    For a newb such as yourself, I would recommend you type "sudo synaptic"
    in a term window. You will also find it in the menu, somewhere.
    Synaptic is a GUI front end for apt and will "show" you packages you
    have available to you. Click on the "Reload" button to get the latest
    package lists (assuming you are connected to the internet), then search
    for the package by "type" or enter a search criteria after hitting
    "Search". Apt will pull in ALL deps needed to install a given package.
    HTH

    --
    Damon L. Chesser
    damon@damtek.com