Installing rpms or debs - Debian

This is a discussion on Installing rpms or debs - Debian ; Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of linux. I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree ...

  1. Installing rpms or debs

    Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of
    linux.
    I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply
    because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like fashion.
    This is a major headache. Currently I have to get a list of each dependency
    package I need, then search on the debian site for them. Once done, I have
    to then install the dependencies of those files using the same method
    again. There has to be some software that automates this process. Is thre
    anything like this out there and if so, where can I download it? Thanks in
    advance!

    Kindest Regards,
    -- Brandon Fogerty

    GOD Bless
    you Always!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Re: Installing rpms or debs

    On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:56:11PM +0000, Brandon Fogerty wrote:
    > Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of
    > linux.
    > I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software simply
    > because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like fashion.
    > This is a major headache. Currently I have to get a list of each dependency
    > package I need, then search on the debian site for them. Once done, I have
    > to then install the dependencies of those files using the same method
    > again. There has to be some software that automates this process. Is thre
    > anything like this out there and if so, where can I download it? Thanks in
    > advance!

    You're missing something big: apt, Debian's Advanced Packaging Tool.
    Use any apt front-end, such as apt-get, aptitude or synaptic.

    What software do you try to install? What version of knoppix do you
    have? Are you connected to the Internet?

    -- Tzafrir

  3. Re: Installing rpms or debs

    Brandon Fogerty wrote:
    > Hi, I am a new user of linux. I am using the knoppix debian flavor of
    > linux.
    > I have found myself spending hours trying to install simple software
    > simply because I have to download all the dependencies in a tree like
    > fashion. This is a major headache. Currently I have to get a list of
    > each dependency package I need, then search on the debian site for
    > them. Once done, I have to then install the dependencies of those
    > files using the same method again. There has to be some software that
    > automates this process. Is thre anything like this out there and if
    > so, where can I download it? Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Kindest Regards,
    > -- Brandon Fogerty
    >

    > GOD Bless you Always!!!!!!!!!!

    There are automated systems for resolving these dependencies. The
    (command line interface) "apt-get" package manager is my preferred way
    of dealing with software installation. Synaptic is another possible
    (graphical) solution. For apt-get to work you should:

    1) check your /etc/apt/sources.list file. It should contain something
    like this line:

    deb ftp://ftp.belnet.be/debian/ stable main

    As I am from Belgium, this is the mirror with the best speed for me. You
    can search for other mirrors closer to you.

    2) do an "apt-get update" as root. This updates the list of available
    software on your computer.

    3) do "apt-get install " to install a software package. If
    you don't know the name you can use "apt-cache search " to
    search for it.

    If you need more information you can check this link:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...basico.en.html

  4. Re: Installing rpms or debs