suspend on laptop overheating - Debian

This is a discussion on suspend on laptop overheating - Debian ; Hi Lately I've had many overheating problems with my laptop (hp pavilion ze5700). Maybe that model is not well-desingned for the heat here. The laptop shuts down at the temperature of 73C by running 'init 0'. Until I figure if ...

  1. suspend on laptop overheating

    Hi

    Lately I've had many overheating problems with my laptop (hp pavilion
    ze5700). Maybe that model is not well-desingned for the heat here.

    The laptop shuts down at the temperature of 73C by running 'init 0'.
    Until I figure if this is a hardwre issue (or until winter comes) I'd
    like to change the action it initiates in case of overheating.

    I use swsusp2 (currently with kernel 2.6.18-rc1). The system is Sarge,
    with a manually-backported 'hibernate' package 1.91-1bpo1 .

    I have acpid running, but I noticed no event in the case of
    overheating.

    I do get the following in my logs:

    Aug 21 00:02:33 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
    Aug 21 00:02:33 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73 C), shutting down.
    Aug 21 00:02:38 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
    Aug 21 00:02:38 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73 C), shutting down.
    Aug 21 00:02:39 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (72 C), shutting
    down.
    Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
    Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73 C), shutting down.

    This is followed by a shutdown.

    I would like to change the command it runs to a script that will
    basically run:

    hibernate || shutdown

    Any relevant RTFM?

    -- Tzafrir

  2. Re: suspend on laptop overheating

    Tzafrir Cohen:

    > Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
    > Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73 C), shutting down.

    -- snip
    > I would like to change the command it runs to a script that will
    > basically run:
    >
    > hibernate || shutdown

    Hm, I only found section 8 at
    . But his only
    describes how you can change the temperature at which your machine shuts
    down (if it works at all, didn't test it). This is probably neither what
    you want nor what is good for your laptop. But maybe it gives you enough
    words to google for.

    J.
    --
    Television advertisements are the apothesis of twentieth century culture.
    [Agree] [Disagree]

  3. Re: suspend on laptop overheating

    Also sprach Jochen Schulz (Mon, 21 Aug 2006
    19:46:06 +0200):
    > Tzafrir Cohen:
    > >
    > > Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: ACPI: Critical trip point
    > > Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73
    > > C), shutting down.

    > -- snip
    > > I would like to change the command it runs to a script that will
    > > basically run:
    > >
    > > hibernate || shutdown

    > Hm, I only found section 8 at
    > . But his only
    > describes how you can change the temperature at which your machine
    > shuts down (if it works at all, didn't test it). This is probably
    > neither what you want nor what is good for your laptop. But maybe it
    > gives you enough words to google for.

    I think that's right as it's hardcoded (in opposite to things done by
    acpid where this behaviour could be changed in the /e/a/actions/
    scripts).

    Overheating is often caused by bad airflow inside (dust,..) or plain bad
    design. I've also heard of additional RAM or changing to another/bigger
    (sometimes getting hotter) HD triggering that.

    I don't have a working temperature sensor on my notebook nor is it prone
    to overheat. You could keep that trippoint and build a script to
    throttle down the CPU if it gets near it - so there's no chance to
    barbecue your processor or shutdown the box. Temperatures can be read
    out from /proc/acpi/ or maybe sensorsd. For scaling there might be
    /proc/acpi/processor//throttling or some so-called cpu-freq governors (I
    assume you already use some tool for basic frequency-scaling, e.g. to
    enhance batterylife.) There's http://acpi.sourceforge.net and
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...quency_Scaling
    providing some information.

    > J.

    sl ritch

  4. Re: suspend on laptop overheating

    Tzafir,
    I got some laptops here for doing installation
    s, which were too hot
    all the time with permanently running fan. (Yes, under Windows.)
    I think that's happening when they throw a highspeed CPU (and maybe
    not even mobile ones) into a machine that originally wasn't designed
    for the hottie.

    I was able to improve a little by removing a small groundplate near to the
    mainboard (usually providing access to the RAM chips or the CMOS clock battery).
    When run on main power, removing the main battery can also help.
    Of course, that's for desktop usage, no solution if you are travelling...

    Tzafrir Cohen
    | > Tzafrir Cohen:
    | > > Aug 21 00:02:40 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (73

    After all what i've read 73 is not too much, anyway... i'd lookup the machines
    tech manual to verify it can't permanently tolerate 75 or even more.
    (Cooking your eggs isn't that funny though
    But the preferred way to go would be cooling, if possible.

    ps. Have you checked the BIOS settings ?

  5. Re: suspend on laptop overheating

    Hi

    On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:46:09AM +0200, marlin9@gmx.ch wrote:

    > Tzafir,
    > I got some laptops here for doing installations, which were too hot
    > all the time with permanently running fan. (Yes, under Windows.)
    > I think that's happening when they throw a highspeed CPU (and maybe
    > not even mobile ones) into a machine that originally wasn't designed
    > for the hottie.
    >
    > I was able to improve a little by removing a small groundplate near to the
    > mainboard (usually providing access to the RAM chips or the CMOS clock battery).
    > When run on main power, removing the main battery can also help.
    > Of course, that's for desktop usage, no solution if you are travelling...

    Hmm... I kind of afraid to mess with hardware, as it generally tends to
    create mess...

    However I tried CPU throtelling and had no luck before. The CPU is:

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 15
    model : 2
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
    stepping : 9
    cpu MHz : 2791.511
    cache size : 128 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
    bogomips : 5586.96

    > Tzafrir Cohen
    > | > Tzafrir Cohen:
    >
    > After all what i've read 73 is not too much, anyway... i'd lookup the machines
    > tech manual to verify it can't permanently tolerate 75 or even more.
    > (Cooking your eggs isn't that funny though
    > But the preferred way to go would be cooling, if possible.
    >

    > ps. Have you checked the BIOS settings ?

    Yes. Not a word there regarding shutdown and such. A very limited BIOS
    setup screen.

    -- Tzafrir