xorg tuning on Dell C600 - Debian

This is a discussion on xorg tuning on Dell C600 - Debian ; Hi all, As usual, Debian installed smoothly on this machine, and after a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, everything went just fine. However, I am trying to find some more information on how to put X at 96 dpi, which as I recall, ...

  1. xorg tuning on Dell C600

    Hi all,

    As usual, Debian installed smoothly on this machine, and after a
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, everything went just fine.

    However, I am trying to find some more information on how to put X at
    96 dpi, which as I recall, some doc on the web mentioned is the proper
    resolution of the 1024x768 monitor of my C600.

    So, if anyone know of where I can find the info, please step up, as I
    was unable to come up with anything useful either on the archive or
    google. Maybe it is just my ignorance...

    --
    Paulo Marcondes
    PU2PIX/PU1

  2. Re: xorg tuning on Dell C600

    pmarc wrote on Dec, 18:

    [...]

    > As usual, Debian installed smoothly on this machine, and after a
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, everything went just fine.

    > However, I am trying to find some more information on how to put X at
    > 96 dpi, which as I recall, some doc on the web mentioned is the proper
    > resolution of the 1024x768 monitor of my C600.

    [...]

    Knoppix's hardware detection came up with a much better X configuration than
    Debian's. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it solved mine: I
    have an old Fujitsu laptop attached to an external Samsung monitor, on which I
    just couldn't get 1024x768. I overwrote my xorg.conf with Knoppix's
    auto-generated XF86Config-4 file, and, after almost a year of fruitless
    attempts and discussing groups hopping, I had 1024x768 resolution.

    Perhaps it might be worth giving it a try.

    Paulo

  3. Re: xorg tuning on Dell C600

    On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:42:49PM -0200, Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote:
    > pmarc wrote on Dec, 18:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > As usual, Debian installed smoothly on this machine, and after a
    > > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, everything went just fine.

    > > However, I am trying to find some more information on how to put X at
    > > 96 dpi, which as I recall, some doc on the web mentioned is the proper
    > > resolution of the 1024x768 monitor of my C600.

    > [...]
    >
    > Knoppix's hardware detection came up with a much better X configuration than
    > Debian's. I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it solved mine: I
    > have an old Fujitsu laptop attached to an external Samsung monitor, on which I
    > just couldn't get 1024x768. I overwrote my xorg.conf with Knoppix's
    > auto-generated XF86Config-4 file, and, after almost a year of fruitless
    > attempts and discussing groups hopping, I had 1024x768 resolution.

    Same here; I am rarely able to get the X configuration tools in a
    default Debian install to work satisfactorily.

    I have 1400x1050 working on my C600 with Sarge netinstall. I first had
    Ubuntu (5.04?) on it and the X configuration went well. Not so with
    the straight Debian (on second thought, it may be testing rather than
    Sarge; doesn't Sarge use Xfree and Etch Xorg?). But I copied the
    Ubuntu xorg.conf over from a nfs mounted backup and X now works well.

    I wonder how one might get the Knoppix/Ubuntu/etc X configuration tools
    installed in straight Debian?

    --
    Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
    Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 1 day 18 hours 43 minutes