Good cell phone to use as modem with Debian? cable? bluetooth? - Debian

This is a discussion on Good cell phone to use as modem with Debian? cable? bluetooth? - Debian ; Hello all, My old cell phone (an ancient Audiovox CDM-8100) has died. I used it to connect via ppp, at 14.4k, through an RS-232 cable, to the internet via Verizon's #777 and qnc login. The cofiguration wasn't easy to set ...

  1. Good cell phone to use as modem with Debian? cable? bluetooth?

    Hello all,

    My old cell phone (an ancient Audiovox CDM-8100) has died. I used it to
    connect via ppp, at 14.4k, through an RS-232 cable, to the internet via
    Verizon's #777 and qnc login. The cofiguration wasn't easy to set up
    but once done, it worked. And yeah, I'm cheap: I don't need verizon's
    fast data service at $80 a month.

    Today's phones are a totally different breed. There are so many more
    options. With a couple of hours of research I've already discoverd
    that Verizon's web site is not very accurate about what features are
    available in different phones and that they routinely cripple the
    firmware so you can't (for instance) use bluetooth to transfer files.

    I started with a careful look at the LG VX8100 and Motorola E815.

    Given that these phones have bluetooth, I figured I'd use that to
    connect the phone to the laptop instead of having to buy a $50
    data cable every time verizon forces me to upgrade or the phone dies
    and is no longer available/supported. This might also be useful to
    not have to buy a new headset (assuming compatible protocols) with
    every phone change.

    So the first question is: is it possible to use the bluetooth
    connection to establish a ppp connection between the debian laptop
    and these phones? any other phones?

    I have serial ports on both laptops I use (Dell 8600 and IBM thinkpad
    600E) so if I have to buy a cable it would be a serial cable, unless
    it is preferable/easy/possible to use USB cable with Debian and a cell
    phone. Has anyone done this?

    Is anyone using one of these phones with Debian? as a modem? how do you
    transfer files (pictures, mp3, phone lists) given the sorry state of
    the crippled bluetooth software? Is bluetooth crippled on every
    verizon phone? Is there a way to change this?

    Since all phones have a GPS these days, is it possible to access the
    GPS data from the Debian laptop to use, say, in geographic programs such as
    GPSdrive and/or gpsd? Has someone done this? via bluetooth? via cable?

    I have a PDA (Handera) that I keep synced with kpilot and the IR port.
    Is it possible to sync the phone list to these phones? how? If not
    these phones, what verizon-compatible phones do people use that can
    do this? I'd rather not re-enter every phone number manually.
    IR seems to be falling by the wayside...

    Any pros/cons about the removable memory? I understand there are
    adapters to plug the trasflash/miniSd cards into a PCcard slot,
    correct? How does this work with Debian? Given that these phones
    use/create different files, it would be nice to sync/DL them to the
    laptop. Any phone specific software in Debian or are these phones
    recognized as storage devices? I presume if a USB cable is used they
    should be, but what about a bluetooth connection? How is the memory
    handled with a serial (rs-232) cable?

    Any other suggestions or info on using a current generation cell phone
    with Debian would be welcome. http://www.mobiledia.com has good
    descriptions of the phones and reviews. Any recommendations? other
    phones? Is it reasonable to expect that firmware shortcomings might be
    improved via firmware downloads? or is this not at all possible?

    Many thanks.

    Augustine

  2. Re: Good cell phone to use as modem with Debian? cable? bluetooth?

    On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:04:38PM -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
    [...]
    > I started with a careful look at the LG VX8100 and Motorola E815.
    >
    > Given that these phones have bluetooth, I figured I'd use that to
    > connect the phone to the laptop instead of having to buy a $50
    > data cable every time verizon forces me to upgrade or the phone dies
    > and is no longer available/supported. This might also be useful to
    > not have to buy a new headset (assuming compatible protocols) with
    > every phone change.
    >
    > So the first question is: is it possible to use the bluetooth
    > connection to establish a ppp connection between the debian laptop
    > and these phones? any other phones?
    >
    > I have serial ports on both laptops I use (Dell 8600 and IBM thinkpad
    > 600E) so if I have to buy a cable it would be a serial cable, unless
    > it is preferable/easy/possible to use USB cable with Debian and a cell
    > phone. Has anyone done this?

    I haven't tried it, but I understand that with a USB cable you can access
    the phone like a modem on /dev/acm0.

    > Is anyone using one of these phones with Debian? as a modem? how do you
    > transfer files (pictures, mp3, phone lists) given the sorry state of
    > the crippled bluetooth software? Is bluetooth crippled on every
    > verizon phone? Is there a way to change this?

    [...]
    > I have a PDA (Handera) that I keep synced with kpilot and the IR port.
    > Is it possible to sync the phone list to these phones? how? If not
    > these phones, what verizon-compatible phones do people use that can
    > do this? I'd rather not re-enter every phone number manually.
    > IR seems to be falling by the wayside...

    Verizon's LG VX8100 is supported by bitpim which
    works nicely on Debian (You'll need alien to convert the rpms). Bitpim is
    FOSS (GPL) and will handle some or all of the above tasks, depending upon
    the phone model. See the online help for a table of exactly which features
    work with which phones. Also you might want to browse the bitpim mailing
    list archives, this will provide you with a lot of good general information.

    HTH

    dt

    --
    Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
    Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to
    | good books. - Jack Handey "Deep Thoughts"

  3. Re: Good cell phone to use as modem with Debian? cable? bluetooth?

    "A. F. Cano" writes:

    > So the first question is: is it possible to use the bluetooth
    > connection to establish a ppp connection between the debian laptop
    > and these phones? any other phones?

    Yes. I use the Palm Treo 650. My laptop is a ThinkPad T40p. See
    http://www.newt.com/debian/treo650.html for the details.

    --
    Bill Wohler http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD