GRUB restore - Debian

This is a discussion on GRUB restore - Debian ; I have a dual XP PRO + DEBIAN 3.1 on my laptop. I had some days ago to reinstall XP PRO with the lost of my grub config and my debian partition is there, I have not lost it. I ...

  1. GRUB restore

    I have a dual XP PRO + DEBIAN 3.1 on my laptop.
    I had some days ago to reinstall XP PRO with the lost of my grub config
    and my debian partition is there, I have not lost it.

    I have mi "personalized kernel", X, apps, etc.... inside my debian
    partition.

    Can anybody say me how can I restore the "grub bootup" to allow me to
    start XPPRO and DEBIAN 3.1 again?

    Any link/HOWTO?

    Thanks.

    --
    Samuel Díaz García

  2. Re: GRUB restore [SOLVED]

    Thanks to all, I solved the problem.

    The solution used was send by Yan Falken:

    - boot from CD
    - mount your debian partition
    - chroot into your debian partition
    - mount /boot if neccessary
    - reinstall grub ( f.e. grub-install /dev/hda)

    But my laptop uses SATA and my "devs" don't use devfs, at this point
    only FC4 "rescue CD" help to me with this.

    I tried debian 3.1 CD's, RHES 3.0, KNOPPIX 4.0 before the FC4 rescue CD.

    I think normal hard disks uses scsi or ide drivers (more standard and
    without issues), but in this case the FC4 kernel loads the drivers and
    mount my partitions in the same place as my "personalized" 2.6.x kernel.

    I think with some kernel parameters any of tried distros CD's will help
    too, but I haven't necesary knowledge to put needed parameter into
    "boot" options.

    Again: thanks to all.

    --
    Samuel DÃ*az GarcÃ*a