Hi

I am using debian testing for a while on my Comapq Evo n600c ... and
also updating my system occasionally. And now after last update my
Orinoco Gold wifi card stopped working.

Maybe somebody could give me advice where to read importaint stuff or
what to install/uninstall/reconfigure. I'll try to explain my situation
in more details and I also added some descriptive output in the end of
the posting.

As mentioned already I had Orinoco Gold card working (as eth2) against
my home access point that uses WEP. I was running 2.6.12 kernel... a
week or so ago I found that 2.6.14 was out for testing and so I gave it
a try... As there were lots of other packages updated I made a full
upgrade... I think this also updated my udev and wireless-tools packages.
Now all af the sudden according to udev device manager my wireles card
is defined as wlan0 (and there is also an interface called wifi0) and
when I try to apply "iwconfig wlan0 key my-wep-key" (with or without the
"s:" prefix it complains "Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A)
: Invalid argument".

What has been changed in debian packages so that I am now unable to work
with my wireless card and what clever package might it be that named my
eth2 interface to wlan0 and added wifi0 (that interface I don't
understand at all)?
Or if such a change is known and expected with last updates to testing
system?

Thanks... any input/comments is welcome,
eix

Some output... at the moment...

abocrombie:/home/heiko# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"kitsekyla37" Nickname:"abocrombie"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
00:E0:98:4D:94:4A
Bit Rate=2 Mb/s Sensitivity=1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

abocrombie:/home/heiko# ifup wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

In /etc/network/interfaces I have wlan0 described as following:

iface wlan0 inet static
name WiFi pcmcia card
wireless-nick abocrombie
wireless-mode managed