Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342 - Debian

This is a discussion on Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342 - Debian ; Hi, I'm trying (unsucessfully) to configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342, with Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed. I wonder if someone could kick me to the right direction. With OSS, I put sb in /etc/modules, and in /etc/modprobe.conf: io=0x200 ...

  1. Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342

    Hi,

    I'm trying (unsucessfully) to configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342, with
    Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed. I wonder if someone could kick me
    to the right direction.

    With OSS, I put sb in /etc/modules, and in /etc/modprobe.conf: io=0x200 irq=5
    dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330. sb reports a ES1879 card.

    I tried:

    1. Install linux-sound-base, dpkg-reconfigure it, choose ALSA.
    2. Install alsa-utils.
    3. Reboot the laptop.
    4. Run alsaconf. Have it probe es18xx, es1688, sb16 and sb8. Ask it not to try
    all combinations. It said it found es18xx, but strangely /proc/interrupts
    displayed it on irq 10 (sb found it at irq 5).
    5. Run alsamixer, set master level to 75%.
    6. Run gxine and tried to tune to some radio station (WKCR): no sound and
    gxine hang. Tried other streaming sources: same mute behaviour.

    Just to make sure, reverted to OSS:

    1. dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base, choose OSS.
    2. Purge alsa-utils.
    3. Restore sb to /etc/modules again.
    4. Wasn't quite sure which modules to remove, in which order, so rebooted the
    laptop.
    5. gxine working Ok again.

    I wouldn't want to bother you guys with such down-the-beaten-path (not for me)
    problem, but my googling wasn't enough to bring some light. Could somebody at
    least point me to some document where I can get leads on this problem ?

    Thanks for your attention
    Paulo

  2. Re: (SOLVED) Configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342

    Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote on Dec, 11:
    > I'm trying (unsucessfully) to configure ALSA on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342,
    > with Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, installed. I wonder if someone could
    > kick me to the right direction.

    [...]

    It was simpler than I expected:

    1. dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base, chose ALSA.
    2. sudo aptitude install alsa-utils
    3. alsaconf, accepted all defaults. Found snd_es18xx.
    4. Appended snd_es18xx to /etc/modules: udev doesn't detect it at boot.

    Played a CD with xmms (first configured its audio output to ALSA, of course)
    without problems.

    I'm intrigued with gxine. I changed audio.driver:alsa, started it and tried to
    listen to streaming audio: no sound at all. strace showed that it was looping
    on write to a unix socket. Just to make sure, reverted to OSS and tried the
    same stream: sound as expected.

    Apologies for having wasted bandwidth
    Paulo