Sarge netinstall - Debian

This is a discussion on Sarge netinstall - Debian ; I have this ISO image: debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso I expected it to do straight Sarge/stable installs. But, it puts "testing" in etc/apt/sources.list and it seems, after the basic CD install is done, to install Etch/testing stuff. Can someone explain what is going ...

  1. Sarge netinstall

    I have this ISO image:
    debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso

    I expected it to do straight Sarge/stable installs. But, it puts
    "testing" in etc/apt/sources.list and it seems, after the basic CD
    install is done, to install Etch/testing stuff. Can someone explain
    what is going on to me?

    Moving on to a "testing" install on a Dell Latitude C600, I had sound
    working until I started installing Gnome stuff. Then, it stopped. One
    of the sound apps suggested trying running "esd". Here is what I get:
    ---
    willie@sarge-dell:~$ esd
    /dev/dsp: Resource temporarily unavailable
    willie@sarge-dell:~$
    ---
    More help? Sound didn't give me any trouble on previous Ubuntu 5.04
    and 5.10 installs on the same hardware.

    Also, the pointer sometimes works well and sometimes floats around on
    its own and sometimes goes on its own to a corner. The pointer gave
    less trouble on the Ubuntu installs.

    To get full display resolution, I had to copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf over
    from a running Ubuntu 5.10 "live". Can someone tell me how to better
    use the X config tools on netinstall? The correct configuration just
    magically appears in Ubuntu.

    --
    Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
    Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 20 days 22 hours 36 minutes

  2. Re: Sarge netinstall

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:30:18 +0100, Willie McKemie wrote:

    > I have this ISO image:
    > debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso
    >
    > I expected it to do straight Sarge/stable installs. But, it puts
    > "testing" in etc/apt/sources.list and it seems, after the basic CD
    > install is done, to install Etch/testing stuff. Can someone explain
    > what is going on to me?

    I just installed the same iso on my server last week, and my sources.list
    contains this:

    #deb file:///cdrom/sarge main

    deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main

    deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main deb

    http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

    Are you certain that you did not accidently mis-label an Etch iso as Sarge?

+ Reply to Thread