SATA and debian - Debian

This is a discussion on SATA and debian - Debian ; Dear all, I just wanted to post to you an information about how I managed to install debian/testing (netinstall) with 2.6.12 kernel, without recompiling it. The problem: I have a sata disk (ibm thinkpad R52). If you follow the normal ...

  1. SATA and debian

    Dear all,

    I just wanted to post to you an information about how I managed to install
    debian/testing (netinstall) with 2.6.12 kernel, without recompiling it.

    The problem: I have a sata disk (ibm thinkpad R52). If you follow the normal
    installation, it will not work because the disk or the cd drive will not be
    recognized.

    Solution in short: load your ide* modules before the ata_piix module, by using
    an initrd

    Solution details:
    - boot in expert mode for installation
    - disable the ata_piix module, this will allow you to have your cd driver
    recognized
    - after some menus, debian installer will ask you again if ata_piix module
    must be enabled. Say yes this time. Your sata disk is now working.
    - finish the installation and reboot
    - now your cd drive is not working
    - change your /etc/mkinitrd/modules files (put there the ide* modules
    necessary for your cd drive)
    - run mkinitrd command to rebuild your initrd
    - remove the ide* modules from /etc/modules
    - reboot, now both cd and disk are ok.

    Juan.

  2. Re: SATA and debian

    * Juan Piñeros [2005-11-28 19:10:45 +0100]:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I just wanted to post to you an information about how I managed to install
    > debian/testing (netinstall) with 2.6.12 kernel, without recompiling it.
    >
    > The problem: I have a sata disk (ibm thinkpad R52). If you follow the normal
    > installation, it will not work because the disk or the cd drive will not be
    > recognized.
    >
    > Solution in short: load your ide* modules before the ata_piix module, by using
    > an initrd
    >
    > Solution details:
    > - boot in expert mode for installation
    > - disable the ata_piix module, this will allow you to have your cd driver
    > recognized
    > - after some menus, debian installer will ask you again if ata_piix module
    > must be enabled. Say yes this time. Your sata disk is now working.
    > - finish the installation and reboot
    > - now your cd drive is not working
    > - change your /etc/mkinitrd/modules files (put there the ide* modules
    > necessary for your cd drive)
    > - run mkinitrd command to rebuild your initrd
    > - remove the ide* modules from /etc/modules
    > - reboot, now both cd and disk are ok.

    This is a solution but the cd drive does not use DMA. I tried something else
    at the end:
    create a file named libata into /etc/modprobe.d/
    with the content:
    options libata atapi_enabled=1

    Then:

    # dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

    This regenerate the initrd image with the special parameter.

    It tried to pass libata.atapi_enabled=1 at boot params but didn't worked.

    Now my DVD is fully usable.
    --
    Igor Genibel
    «Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro»

+ Reply to Thread