bootlogd - Debian

This is a discussion on bootlogd - Debian ; Dear list, I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get bootlogd working. I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when ...

  1. bootlogd

    Dear list,

    I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I
    would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get
    bootlogd working.

    I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when I boot I get

    bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor

    and the boot log is not written. Does anybody recognise this problem
    or know of a solution?

    best wishes

    --Colin

    --
    http://www.gloworms.org.uk

  2. Re: bootlogd

    Dear list,

    Looks like I drew a blank on this one. Or did I phrase the question wrong?

    --Colin

    --
    http://www.gloworms.org.uk

  3. Re: bootlogd

    Hello Colin,

    On Tuesday 22 November 2005 13:32, Colin Cotter wrote:
    > I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I
    > would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get
    > bootlogd working.
    >
    > I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when I boot I get
    >
    > bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor
    >
    > and the boot log is not written. Does anybody recognise this problem
    > or know of a solution?

    Just in case - did you google?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bo...ile+descriptor

    Seems that the same error was once reported last year:

    -----------------

    Niels L. Ellegaard May 4 2004, 11:40 pm
    Newsgroups: linux.debian.user
    From: gna...@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard) -
    Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 00:40:06 +0200
    Subject: Re: bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor

    "Miquel van Smoorenburg" writes:

    > > bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor

    > Looks like something is not well with /dev/ttyzf. Is it present?
    > Are you using 'udev' ?

    It turned out that I was using udev 0.021. I upgraded to
    0.024(testing), and my bootlog started working. Thanks for
    the advice

  4. Re: bootlogd

    On Saturday 10 December 2005 21:20, mlewis00@tctwest.net wrote:
    > You have to move /etc/rcS.d/S0?bootlogd to /etc/rcS.d/S11bootlogd (i.e.
    > after /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh)...I don't know what the original file
    > name was because I already moved it but I believe it was
    > /etc/rcS.d/S05bootlogd.

    > I was looking for a better solution myself so that more of the boot
    > sequence could be logged

    An alternative is to move bootlogd _before_ udev.
    This works for me:
    S02mountvirtfs
    S03bootlogd-was-S05
    S04udev

    Cheers,
    FJP

  5. Re: bootlogd

    On Wednesday 23 November 2005 03:25 pm, Colin Cotter wrote:
    > Dear list,
    >
    > Looks like I drew a blank on this one. Or did I phrase the question
    > wrong?
    >
    > --Colin
    >
    > On 11/22/05, Colin Cotter wrote:
    > > Dear list,
    > >
    > > I've noticed a number of strange things in my boot messages and I
    > > would like to take a closer look. The first stage in this is to get
    > > bootlogd working.
    > >
    > > I set Yes in my /etc/default/bootlogd and when I boot I get
    > >
    > > bootlogd: ioctl (/dev/ttyzf, TIOCCONS): Bad file descriptor
    > >
    > > and the boot log is not written. Does anybody recognise this problem
    > > or know of a solution?
    > >
    > > best wishes
    > >
    > > --Colin
    > >
    > > --
    > > http://www.gloworms.org.uk

    > --
    > http://www.gloworms.org.uk

    You have to move /etc/rcS.d/S0?bootlogd to /etc/rcS.d/S11bootlogd (i.e.
    after /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh)...I don't know what the original file name
    was because I already moved it but I believe it was /etc/rcS.d/S05bootlogd.

    The call to openpty() will fail in bootlogd.c if /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh has
    not been run when you call /etc/init.d/bootlogd. I believe that this because
    the virtual file systems are not mounted correctly until the checkroot.sh
    script is run.

    This is on a Debian Sarge system with kernel 2.6.8-2-686.

    I was looking for a better solution myself so that more of the boot sequence
    could be logged, but ran out of time to research it as I believe it would
    require rewriting the bootlogd.c source file to use a different mechanism for
    the pty that it currently needs to allocate, and I don't have time to
    re-engineer the program.

    HTH

    MGL
    --
    M. Glenn Lewis

  6. Re: bootlogd

    On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:20 pm, mlewis00@tctwest.net wrote:

    > You have to move /etc/rcS.d/S0?bootlogd to /etc/rcS.d/S11bootlogd (i.e.
    > after /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh)...I don't know what the original file
    > name was because I already moved it but I believe it was
    > /etc/rcS.d/S05bootlogd.
    >
    > The call to openpty() will fail in bootlogd.c if /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh
    > has not been run when you call /etc/init.d/bootlogd. I believe that this
    > because the virtual file systems are not mounted correctly until the
    > checkroot.sh script is run.
    >
    > This is on a Debian Sarge system with kernel 2.6.8-2-686.
    >
    > I was looking for a better solution myself so that more of the boot
    > sequence could be logged, but ran out of time to research it as I believe
    > it would require rewriting the bootlogd.c source file to use a different
    > mechanism for the pty that it currently needs to allocate, and I don't have
    > time to re-engineer the program.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > MGL

    It seems that there is another solution that involves upgrading udev, but I
    don't believe that is an option for me since I am using Sarge (i.e. stable)
    and don't want to pull in packages from testing or unstable.

    Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I would also like to have my
    bootlogd start immediately after udev if possible.

    Thanks,

    MGL
    --
    M. Glenn Lewis

  7. Re: bootlogd

    On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:23 pm, Frans Pop wrote:

    > An alternative is to move bootlogd _before_ udev.
    > This works for me:
    > S02mountvirtfs
    > S03bootlogd-was-S05
    > S04udev
    >
    > Cheers,
    > FJP

    This worked fine! This is the point at which I left off researching the
    subject. I thought that udev had to be run first in order to set up the file
    systems correctly. Just goes to show how much I know about kernel hacking and
    low level linux file system functions. I'm learning, though :-)

    P.S. I presume that the reason your solution works is because udev
    incorrectly deletes or renames some device node that was created by the
    kernel, which then causes the openpty() function in bootlogd.c to fail? Or
    does udev take over some low level system function related to the /dev file
    system from the kernel and then fail to emulate the legacy portion of the
    function correctly, causing the call to openpty() to fail?

    Thanks!
    MGL
    --
    M. Glenn Lewis