Calling on Toshiba users - Debian

This is a discussion on Calling on Toshiba users - Debian ; [I am not on -laptop, so please CC me when replying from that list] Greetings, I maintain the Debian package for toshutils. I have prepared a new version for upload. However, there are some changes to allow it to compile ...

  1. Calling on Toshiba users

    [I am not on -laptop, so please CC me when replying from that list]

    Greetings,

    I maintain the Debian package for toshutils. I have prepared a new
    version for upload. However, there are some changes to allow it to
    compile with gcc-4.0 (the current version was released upstream in the
    latter half of 2001). I would like for some adventerous Toshiba laptop
    users out there to download the packages and provide some feedback. If
    the response is positive, I will submit the package for upload.

    Sid package:

    http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/debian/uploads/

    Sarge package:

    deb http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/debian/ sarge main
    deb-src http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/debian/ sarge main

    Thanks,

    -Roberto

    --
    Roberto C. Sanchez
    http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

  2. Re: Calling on Toshiba users

    On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:49:08PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
    > On November 4, 2005 03:42 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
    > > [I am not on -laptop, so please CC me when replying from that list]

    > > I maintain the Debian package for toshutils. I have prepared a new
    > > version for upload. However, there are some changes to allow it to
    > > compile with gcc-4.0 (the current version was released upstream in the
    > > latter half of 2001). I would like for some adventerous Toshiba laptop
    > > users out there to download the packages and provide some feedback. If
    > > the response is positive, I will submit the package for upload.

    > What Toshiba laptops does this work with?
    >
    > I have sid installed on a Toshiba Satellite A60, and so far, none of the
    > Toshiba extras packages I've tried work with it, including the various
    > option in the Linux kernel itself.
    >
    > If this laptop is supposed to be supported by the package, than I can try
    > it over the weekend.

    Good point. I should have explained better.

    The toshutils package, due primarily to its age, works only with APM
    enabled and not ACPI. You need the toshiba (i.e., not toshiba_acpi)
    module loaded, or compiled into your kernel. It should work with
    standard dev, udev or devfs setups. So, as long as your laptop supports
    APM and you are using APM and not ACPI it should work. For example, I
    am have a Satellite 2805-S401 which supports both APM and ACPI. In my
    case I normally use ACPI and reboot with 'acpi=off apm=on' on the kernel
    command line when I need to go back to APM to test something (like
    toshutils).

    If you are using ACPI (which is the only thing support by newer models),
    then consider the toshset package, which I also maintain. Basically
    with that, all you need is toshiba_acpi support (modular or static).

    The main difference between toshutils and toshset is that toshutils is a
    collection of different applications, including GUI tools. On the other
    hand, toshet is just one cli application that gives access to the
    various Toshiba hardware interfaces by setting different switches on the
    command line.

    -Roberto

    --
    Roberto C. Sanchez
    http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

  3. Re: Calling on Toshiba users

    Great! I'll give this a try with my Satellite 2435XCDT. My new Toshiba
    laptop is Phoenix BIOS-based, so no love yet with it yet.