Black Screen - Debian

This is a discussion on Black Screen - Debian ; Good evening for the ones in my timezone and hello for non europeens, this week I got a Asus Pro60 V X-115 Notebook (it is a specal offer for a big shop, so it is not listed on their website, ...

  1. Black Screen

    Good evening for the ones in my timezone and hello for non europeens,

    this week I got a Asus Pro60 V X-115 Notebook (it is a specal offer for a big
    shop, so it is not listed on their website, but it is similar to ther A6Va).
    However, I installed Linux on it, of course.

    Debian testing is running very well, exept the xserver. I am using X.org and
    the monitor is a WXGA (I think) with the resolution 1280x800 at 60Hz. But
    when I start the Xserver the TFT gets black and you can see the mouse (very
    well, and it works).

    But everything else is blinking between a black and brighter black. Not
    enought it is striped, but you can see this only if you look very
    carfully.

    If I put a external monitor to it, it shows the picture as wanted, so it can't
    be the graphics card's fault. By the way it is a ATI Radeon Mobility X700
    (PCI Express). The console works very well and even windows was shown in a
    right way (I removed it). And Knoppix, a Linux live CD, works also very
    well (but Kubuntu Live CD does not).

    Here is a part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)"
    Driver "ati"
    BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
    VideoRam 64000
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "WXGA"
    UseModes "16:10"
    HorizSync 28-96
    VertRefresh 50-75
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "16:10 Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)"
    Monitor "WXGA"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "16:10 Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "16:10"
    Modeline "1280x800" 83.45 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -Hsync +VSync
    EndSection

    I hope that this are all importent information.

    Best regards and great thanks
    Christian Dávid

  2. Re: Black Screen

    Christian Dávid said...
    > Good evening for the ones in my timezone and hello for non europeens,
    >
    > this week I got a Asus Pro60 V X-115 Notebook (it is a specal offer for a big
    > shop, so it is not listed on their website, but it is similar to ther A6Va).
    > However, I installed Linux on it, of course.
    >
    > Debian testing is running very well, exept the xserver. I am using X.org and
    > the monitor is a WXGA (I think) with the resolution 1280x800 at 60Hz. But
    > when I start the Xserver the TFT gets black and you can see the mouse (very
    > well, and it works).
    >
    > But everything else is blinking between a black and brighter black. Not
    > enought it is striped, but you can see this only if you look very
    > carfully.
    >
    > If I put a external monitor to it, it shows the picture as wanted, so it can't
    > be the graphics card's fault. By the way it is a ATI Radeon Mobility X700
    > (PCI Express). The console works very well and even windows was shown in a
    > right way (I removed it). And Knoppix, a Linux live CD, works also very
    > well (but Kubuntu Live CD does not).
    >
    > Here is a part of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Two ideas to start with:

    1. Try reducing your screen stanza to

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "16:10 Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)"
    Monitor "WXGA"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    24 depth doesn't always work until the driver is sorted out.

    2. Use the config from Knoppix. I've had great success with this. The
    fact that things are working in Knoppix for you indicates that that's
    guaranteed to succeed. You can then tweak things once you are up and
    running.

    --
    Best,
    Marc