Re: 16 mb problem - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: 16 mb problem - Debian ; I ran Debian nearly 10 years ago on an HP Omnibook 300 (386sx/16), so it's certainly possible. If the laptop is to be run independently, then you need to run X if you want a GUI. My favorite light-weight window ...

  1. Re: 16 mb problem

    I ran Debian nearly 10 years ago on an HP Omnibook 300
    (386sx/16), so it's certainly possible.

    If the laptop is to be run independently, then you need to
    run X if you want a GUI. My favorite light-weight window
    manager is fluxbox because it's light (a fork of blackbox)
    but also does tabs. I no longer can live without tabs.

    Anyhow, if the laptop is to be on a network, you might
    consider running all your apps on a nearby host and using
    the laptop as a terminal... the lightest way to do it
    would be to use the kernel frame buffer device and fbvnc on
    the laptop (and realvncserver or tightvncserver on the
    nearby host).

    An interesting note about kernels... 2.6.x has the uClinux
    kernel fork folded back in... i.e. it can be built really
    tiny as needed for microcontrollers and other low-spec CPUs.
    So while the stock 2.6.x kernels are certainly bigger than
    the 2.2 and 2.4 family, it may be possible to build custom
    kernels that are quite small.

    (If you never heard of uClinux, it's the fork of Linux that
    was small enough to run on a 68000-based Palm PDA).

    Best Regards,

    Tony

  2. Re: 16 mb problem

    Tony Godshall wrote:
    > According to Terje Andersen,
    >
    >> Tony Godshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyhow, if the laptop is to be on a network, you might
    >>> consider running all your apps on a nearby host and using
    >>> the laptop as a terminal... the lightest way to do it
    >>> would be to use the kernel frame buffer device and fbvnc on
    >>> the laptop (and realvncserver or tightvncserver on the
    >>> nearby host).
    >>>

    >> Just a tip; instead of VNC based GUI Terminal, try FreeNX
    >> (http://freenx.berlios.de). If you have a network connection with speeds
    >>
    >>> =56Kbps, then you can work remotely, but with a near local speed
    >>>

    >> experience...!
    >>

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Does it let you disconnect and reconnect to a running
    > session like VNC does?

    Yes, it does. (with the 1.5.0 libraries)
    > I'd suggest you provide the tip too to the person who asked
    > the question.
    >
    > TG

    Done.

    ;-)