softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer... - Debian

This is a discussion on softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer... - Debian ; OK, I know I've been making lots of unhelpful noise on this topic lately. I feel I'm getting close to a working suspendable kernel. On my IBM thinkpad600e, I have installed a 2.6.12 kernel, using the debian sources and the ...

  1. softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer...

    OK, I know I've been making lots of unhelpful noise on this topic
    lately.

    I feel I'm getting close to a working suspendable kernel.

    On my IBM thinkpad600e, I have installed a 2.6.12 kernel, using the
    debian sources and the experimental kernel-patch-suspend2 patches (so,
    not the upstream source/patch combo, which I can't get to work). I am
    compiling with gcc 4.0.2 (maybe this is a mistake, but I don't remember
    how to set the compiler version...) and my .config and
    grub/menu.lst are posted here:

    http://www.racesci.org/.conf/config-...end2-debian-01
    http://www.racesci.org/.conf/menu.lst

    [you'll note I have CONFIG_SUSPEND2_CHECK_RESUME_SAFE=y in my config
    file. I understand, perhaps falsely, that's the origin of this
    warning, but presumably not of the problem?

    I am also using the hibernate-1.12 package from unstable.
    The kernel boots fine, runs fine, suspends fine. But it will not
    resume, and on every boot, I get a long message:

    BIG FAT WARNING
    Initrd is not properly configured for resuming...

    and a bunch of stuff I didn't copy down, ending with a choice
    "continue" [boot this kernel w/out resuming] or "reboot"[back to
    bios]. If I continue, and I in fact have a hibernation image in my
    swwap file, I get further warnings about erasing that image.

    I've searched the archives & the FAQ but there isn't much info re:
    this particular error. I imagine I've failed to set some switch
    somewhere, or something isn't being echoed properly into "proc" -- but
    I don't know what.

    Also, on the same machine I have Bob Proulx's patched 2.6.8 kernel
    installed, which I got here:

    http://www.proulx.com/~bob/nc4000/

    This kernel CAN find the suspend image it generates, but crashes when
    it tries to read it -- from the error message it looks like acpi gets
    upset; the acpi implementation is broken on my laptop, so I was hoping
    a new kernel without acpi support would work -- but no such luck, at
    least not yet.

    Anyway, I would much appreciate whatever help folks can give, esp. in
    terms of what specifically would generate this message, whether I
    might be missing some configuration element, and whether I have
    exhausted my options enough to file a bug.

    Thanks,

    Matt

    --------------------------
    .''`. Matt Price
    : :' : Debian User
    `. `'` & hemi-geek
    `-

  2. Re: softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer...

    hey great,
    On 10/31/05, Joao Lourenco wrote:

    > The suspend2 patches 2.1.9.9-for-2.6.12 apply cleanly to the debian
    > linux-sources-2.6.12. I'll try today with 2.6.14...

    if you get it working with 1.6.14 that'd be great as 2.6.14 has an
    updated acpi which might work with my laptop... I rather doubt it
    will work though, when I tried 2.2.-rc8-for-2.6.14-rc3, it wouldn't
    apply even against the upstream 2.6.14 source. But maybe I was just
    plain screwed up...

    > Then I use the following command line to generate a new kernel
    >
    > make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot \
    > --append-to-version -`date +%Y-%m-%d` kernel_image

    ok. about what I do.
    > and it just works.

    hmm. not for me though!

    > Well, as there is no initrd, there are a few things we have to include
    > in the kernel base image instead of modules, such as the ide device
    > driver, support for ext3, etc.

    yes, got most of those at this stage I think.

    > If necessary, I'll be happy to post my .config here...

    that would be really great, thanks! It would at least be another data
    point. Also if you can remember at all whether you had to modify any
    system scripts at all, that would be super.

    thanks much,

    matt

  3. Re: softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer...

    Matt Price wrote:

    >BIG FAT WARNING
    >Initrd is not properly configured for resuming...

    Probably a silly question but, just in case....

    Did you regenerate a new initrd with the suspend modules built into it?

    - Joe

  4. Re: softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer...

    On October 31, 2005 10:07, Matt Price wrote:
    > OK, I know I've been making lots of unhelpful noise on this topic
    > lately.
    >
    > I feel I'm getting close to a working suspendable kernel.
    >
    > On my IBM thinkpad600e, I have installed a 2.6.12 kernel, using the
    > debian sources and the experimental kernel-patch-suspend2 patches (so,
    > not the upstream source/patch combo, which I can't get to work). I am
    > compiling with gcc 4.0.2 (maybe this is a mistake, but I don't remember
    > how to set the compiler version...) and my .config and
    > grub/menu.lst are posted here:
    >
    > http://www.racesci.org/.conf/config-...end2-debian-01
    > http://www.racesci.org/.conf/menu.lst
    >
    > [you'll note I have CONFIG_SUSPEND2_CHECK_RESUME_SAFE=y in my config
    > file. I understand, perhaps falsely, that's the origin of this
    > warning, but presumably not of the problem?
    >
    > I am also using the hibernate-1.12 package from unstable.
    > The kernel boots fine, runs fine, suspends fine. But it will not
    > resume, and on every boot, I get a long message:
    >
    > BIG FAT WARNING
    > Initrd is not properly configured for resuming...
    >
    > and a bunch of stuff I didn't copy down, ending with a choice
    > "continue" [boot this kernel w/out resuming] or "reboot"[back to
    > bios]. If I continue, and I in fact have a hibernation image in my
    > swwap file, I get further warnings about erasing that image.
    >
    > I've searched the archives & the FAQ but there isn't much info re:
    > this particular error. I imagine I've failed to set some switch
    > somewhere, or something isn't being echoed properly into "proc" -- but
    > I don't know what.
    >
    > Also, on the same machine I have Bob Proulx's patched 2.6.8 kernel
    > installed, which I got here:
    >
    > http://www.proulx.com/~bob/nc4000/
    >
    > This kernel CAN find the suspend image it generates, but crashes when
    > it tries to read it -- from the error message it looks like acpi gets
    > upset; the acpi implementation is broken on my laptop, so I was hoping
    > a new kernel without acpi support would work -- but no such luck, at
    > least not yet.
    >
    > Anyway, I would much appreciate whatever help folks can give, esp. in
    > terms of what specifically would generate this message, whether I
    > might be missing some configuration element, and whether I have
    > exhausted my options enough to file a bug.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > --------------------------
    > .''`. Matt Price
    >
    > : :' : Debian User
    >
    > `. `'` & hemi-geek
    > `-
    > --------------------------

    Have you tried swsusp, which is included in the vanilla kernel? I'm currently
    using vanilla kernel 2.6.12. If you're using make xconfig, select "Power
    management options (ACPI, APM)" and enable "Software Suspend (EXPERIMENTAL)".
    You can also set your default resume partition. I am then able to hibernate
    using the acpi script
    /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh

    Oh, I had to set ACPI_HIBERNATE=true in /etc/default/acpi-support. I should
    mention that I'm not using an IBM thinkpad, but it's worth a shot.

    Luca

  5. Re: softwre suspend 2 -- getting closer...

    Although I still use Debian a lot, I added SUSE-9.3 to my ThinkPad-42
    because of its support for internal wireless. In addition both suspend
    to ram and disk work well.

    Early software swsusp used to work on my thinkpads but I gave up
    compiling kernels due to so many problems.

    Note that Ubuntu-0505 also supported swsusp well (but not suspend to ram
    on my deceased T20).

    Right now SUSE does everything for me, but it is large and if you try to
    drop some sw, too much else goes. Same goes for Ubuntu (if you drop
    OpenOffice you may lose the desktop in 0510).

    I still prefer Debian and use it about half the time now and hopefully
    will get internal wireless without rebuilding kernel, as well as swsuspend.

+ Reply to Thread