Debian 3.1r0 on Dell Latitude CPxH500 - Debian

This is a discussion on Debian 3.1r0 on Dell Latitude CPxH500 - Debian ; Built CD image from Jigdo. CD boots fine, but while scanning CD contents, it gets about halfway through (ie ../j or ../k) and states there is a problem reading the media. If I retry, it fails. Running the CD checker ...

  1. Debian 3.1r0 on Dell Latitude CPxH500

    Built CD image from Jigdo. CD boots fine, but while scanning CD contents, it
    gets about halfway through (ie ../j or ../k) and states there is a problem
    reading the media. If I retry, it fails. Running the CD checker from the
    disk results in an instant 'Not a valid Debian cd'. CDROM drive is in the
    bay (battery in other bay).

    Brought home a 'verified' CD from work (it installs fine at work on Dell GX
    series) and same error occurs. Ubuntu and FreeBSD install properly. Couldn't
    find any known issue on net.

    Jim Bartlett
    "Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now." - Steven Wright

  2. Re: Debian 3.1r0 on Dell Latitude CPxH500

    On Wednesday 26 October 2005 23:17, Jim Bartlett wrote:
    > Built CD image from Jigdo. CD boots fine, but while scanning CD
    > contents, it gets about halfway through (ie ../j or ../k) and states
    > there is a problem reading the media. If I retry, it fails. Running the
    > CD checker from the disk results in an instant 'Not a valid Debian cd'.
    > CDROM drive is in the bay (battery in other bay).

    Sounds like the kernel driver is having problems accessing your CD-ROM.
    This can have various causes.

    You can try the tips in question 23 of [1].
    Another option is to boot the installer in expert mode and see if the
    problems go away if you only load the drivers needed to access the
    CD-ROM.

    [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerFAQ

+ Reply to Thread