Re: A notebook for Debian? - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: A notebook for Debian? - Debian ; * Rodolfo Medina [2005 Oct 26 05:22 -0500]: > ... and also a TS THINKPAD T42, > ibm code: UC2F3IT, maybe cheaper. Does this one have the DVD burner? I believe it can always be installed later as the drive ...

  1. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    * Rodolfo Medina [2005 Oct 26 05:22 -0500]:
    > ... and also a TS THINKPAD T42,
    > ibm code: UC2F3IT, maybe cheaper.

    Does this one have the DVD burner? I believe it can always be
    installed later as the drive can be removed quite easily. I'm happy
    with the T42 I'm using. I need to learn more about the laptop mode in
    later kernels to see if battery life might be improved. So far I can
    get about two hours, but suspend is blocked by the Linuxant drivers.

    Speaking of which, I received a private email that ALSA may be able to
    drive the Conextant modem in the T42 directly. So far I've not
    received further details.

    - Nate >>

    --
    Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
    Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

  2. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Nate Bargmann wrote:

    >Speaking of which, I received a private email that ALSA may be able to
    >drive the Conextant modem in the T42 directly. So far I've not
    >received further details.

    Ahh, I'll admit it. That was from me.

    Here's what I do know, and what I don't...

    I have an eMachines laptop with what I'm pretty sure is a Conextant
    Winmodem in it. I could have remembered that part wrong. Under Gentoo
    (months ago) I noticed it "just worked" using the ALSA drivers.

    Since then I moved my laptop back to my favorite distro (Debian), and
    haven't had any chance to try to figure out how that modem was working
    using only ALSA.

    I promised the "other" Nate that I'd look at the laptop and see if ALSA
    was finding the modem (which I almost never use) and how it was configured.

    I haven't even turned on the laptop this week, as flooding from
    Hurricane Wilma has been wreaking some minor havoc on the
    telecommunications network in Florida, and I've been on late-night
    conference calls to juggle things around so the world doesn't notice any
    outages. :-) Telco techs: We stay up all night so you don't have to.
    (GRIN)

    Well, that and... I *had* to go to the Colorado Avalanche hockey game
    last night to watch them beat Houston with 45 seconds to spare. I even
    had to miss the first period of the game because of another conference
    call. But the game-winning and extra goals scored in the last minute
    more than made up for that! (GRIN)

    I'll try to remember to look at the laptop tonight.

    By the way, this page shows the IBM T42 having an Intel AC97 modem
    controller in the dmesg output... and has this to say about the modem:

    http://wiki.version6.net/T42

    -----
    Modem

    0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
    AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 055a
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at 2400
    I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]

    It is possible to use SmartLink Linux driver slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz.
    It does let use AT commands but not tested yet with phone line. README
    also says that intel8x0m modem driver also supports with this model. For
    that alsa-driver>=1.0.2 and kernel>=2.6.5 are necessary.

    -----

    And I got that link from -- http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

    Hope that's helpful!

    Nate