Is it safe to update to unstable again? - Debian

This is a discussion on Is it safe to update to unstable again? - Debian ; Since I like to live on the bleeding edge, I usually have stable and unstable in my apt.sources. However, about a week after the last Debian release, I updated my "available" list with dselect and then went to select some ...

  1. Is it safe to update to unstable again?

    Since I like to live on the bleeding edge, I usually have stable and
    unstable in my apt.sources.

    However, about a week after the last Debian release, I updated my
    "available" list with dselect and then went to select some packages...
    and dselect promptly informed me that it would be yanking out almost all
    of my kde apps because they conflicted with some new kde libs that were
    going to be installed.

    Well... to be sure, I didn't go through with that. And I later learned
    that all of the kde stuff was going to be recompiled, and that the
    devels were waiting for the last release because it was going to break
    kde until all of the maintainers could recompile their packages.

    So.... I've been waiting for the kde mess to get straightened out before
    I try to update again. I'd go into dselect's "Select" screen, but, last
    time I did, it marked hundreds of packages for removal, and I had to
    painstakingly go through and re-mark them for install and then hit "Q"
    to get it to leave it that way.

    Does anybody know if it's safe to update to unstable again? (Well, I
    know it's not *really* safe to update to unstable, ever. I'm asking if
    it is now back to being as safe as it *used* to be)

    - Joe

  2. Re: Is it safe to update to unstable again?

    On Tuesday 25 October 2005 02:17, Joe Emenaker wrote:
    > However, about a week after the last Debian release, I updated my
    > "available" list with dselect and then went to select some packages...
    > and dselect promptly informed me that it would be yanking out almost all
    > of my kde apps because they conflicted with some new kde libs that were
    > going to be installed.

    They haven't given the official ok yet, but I use it and it works fine.
    KOffice 1.4 has also been uploaded.

    I think probably a few kde apps which aren't part of the official kde
    distribution may still need to be recompiled but those are rare cases.

    Another thing: If you are using udev watch out for the unstable version. It
    needs at least kernel 2.6.12 and conflicts with hotplug. (Because it now /is/
    hotplug..)

    Another thing 2: I recommend you use aptitude instead of dselect.

    Anders

    --
    - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

  3. Re: Is it safe to update to unstable again?

    On 2005-10-25, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
    > Another thing: If you are using udev watch out for the unstable version. It
    > needs at least kernel 2.6.12 and conflicts with hotplug. (Because it now /is/
    > hotplug..)

    Oh? Do you have any more info on that?

    Jan

+ Reply to Thread