Re: A notebook for Debian? - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: A notebook for Debian? - Debian ; Thanks indeed to all who wrote. In the net I could find some very good occasions with some of the notebooks that have been suggested. But the trouble is, that most of them are without a DVD recorder, and I ...

  1. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Thanks indeed to all who wrote.

    In the net I could find some very good occasions with some
    of the notebooks that have been suggested.
    But the trouble is, that most of them are without
    a DVD recorder, and I wish a computer with a DVD recorder.
    Some other, like the Dell Inspiron 8200, are too expensive.
    Please, some not too expensive model with a DVD recorder,
    supporting Debian Sarge 3.1 and (possibly) Mandrake 10.1?
    You see, I need a gradual migration from Mandrake to Debian.
    (From the postings in the present thread it seems to come out
    that Compaq and IBM notebooks are very good with linux, but either old
    or dear.)

    Rodolfo

  2. Re: A notebook for Debian?

    Rodolfo Medina wrote:

    > Thanks indeed to all who wrote.
    >
    > In the net I could find some very good occasions with some
    > of the notebooks that have been suggested.
    > But the trouble is, that most of them are without
    > a DVD recorder, and I wish a computer with a DVD recorder.
    > Some other, like the Dell Inspiron 8200, are too expensive.
    > Please, some not too expensive model with a DVD recorder,
    > supporting Debian Sarge 3.1 and (possibly) Mandrake 10.1?
    > You see, I need a gradual migration from Mandrake to Debian.
    > (From the postings in the present thread it seems to come out
    > that Compaq and IBM notebooks are very good with linux, but either old
    > or dear.)

    Dell Inspiron 6000. Reasonably priced, large screen (15.4" Wide screen). I
    got the DVD recorder (stick to DVD+R - I have a bunch of memorex DVD-Rs I
    can't use) and wireless mini-PCI (I had a choice and took the ipw2200 since
    I knew it worked).
    --
    derek